My friend's laptop is absolutely tripping, it has been dubbed by him as "haunted pc"

I have no idea where to begin, all I really have to go off of is that I'm pretty sure it's a laptop, and they use an external keyboard and mouse via USB. Not certain on the kind of laptop or specs, I can update when they're available. Here is the symptoms I have given by them.

"Haunted computer symptoms:

- Upon start up there is a 1/5 chance the computer will freeze as soon as the Lock Screen is revealed.

- 2/5 the lock screen is accessible but the password bar will not accept input from my keyboard.

- 2/5 I can log in like normal.

- Restarting brings me to (picture attached) 

- Once the computer is running one at a time the bellow listed symptoms will start appearing, stacking on each other:

- Scroll wheel only works when scrolling horizontally. If symptom remains untreated it will evolve into any vertical scroll wheel permanently scrolling down, even if dragged back up manually

- Left click will occasionally be replaced with right click, right click remains right click as well when this occurs

- Clicking will occasionally work like on Spotify or YouTube play buttons but won’t work on X buttons (in the top right) various app buttons like trying to select the artist on Spotify or clicking on links or images on opera.

- Opera tabs will also close automatically when I try to open them

- Often the Q, V, H, E, or , Will become stuck in the pressed position, additionally the string " :;/ " is repeated repeatedly as of all 3 keys were held at once

- Volume randomly raises and lowers itself with no discernable pattern, sounds like morse code but is too fast to try to copy to translate :(

- In multiplayer games ping sits at a comfortable 300ms (unusually high compared to before) average although high fps and no difficulty running single player games

- Entire computer will become slower, delayed input and lag. It will start out not to bad but will become slower with time

- esc’s function is entirely replaced by the alt + tab short cut (including when you press it in a game)

- Calculator app will attempt to open even though I uninstalled it, a prompt to bring me to the App Store appears now instead

- fans will go into air compressor mode more frequently, evolving into permanently until restart"

That is all I really got to go off of, my current theory is RAM issues as it could be causing freezing on top of messing with keyboard / mouse drivers and causing, for example, keyboard not taking input, opening calculator (If they have a keyboard button for it, same with volume up / down?) But I'm not entirely certain if esc turning into alt+tab would be from that also. I would appreciate any help or responses a ton!!

IMG_4283.jpg

Have we considered a fresh install of windows? I had a similar slew of symptoms right before the windows Installation nuked itself and corrupted an entire hard drive (secure erase fixed it, but also removed all data on the drive)

Maybe ram instability, random issues/errors can sometimes be caused by that. Turn off xmp or manually reduce speed.

What are the pc specs? Use HWInfo if you don't know them and send a screenshot of the summary, And also check temps while you're there.

Windows could also be completely screwed up, maybe try system restore if you can. If that doesn't work do a fresh install, don't do this until last for obvious reasons.

PC Specifications: Intel i9-14900KF, 5.7GHz all core locked, 5GHz ring, 1.35v Medium LLC, E-cores and HT disabled | MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 + Thermal Grizzly contact frame | 2x16 G.Skill Trident Z5 7400MHz 34-44-44-34 1T 1.45v (Maxed Subtimings, 52ns latency) | Gigabyte Z790 AORUS Elite AX | Windows 10/11 EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 T2 Phanteks P400A (Black non-rgb version, Phanteks T30 fans 3 intake (On AIO), 1 exhaust) | SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB PCIe 4 SSD

Displays: MSI MAG 271QPX 1440p 360Hz 27" QD-OLED

Desktop Audio: STAX SR-007 MK2 Electrostatic Headphones (Current revision) | STAX SRM-400S Amp | Schiit Bifrost 2/64 (NOS mode, USB in, XLR out)

Mobile Audio: Sennheiser IE 900 IEMs w/ 4.4mm cable | FiiO KA13

Peripherals: Razer Huntsman V2 Full size wired with linear optical switch | Logitech G502 Hero

20 minutes ago, BiotechBen said:

Have we considered a fresh install of windows? I had a similar slew of symptoms right before the windows Installation nuked itself and corrupted an entire hard drive (secure erase fixed it, but also removed all data on the drive)

Will absolutely recommend and update when they get back 🙂

Just now, rippy4500 said:

Maybe ram instability, random issues/errors can sometimes be caused by that. Turn off xmp or manually reduce speed.

What are the pc specs? Use HWInfo if you don't know them and send a screenshot of the summary.

Gonna add their specs as soon as they're off work and able to get them for me to add!

1 hour ago, BiotechBen said:

This also could be some sort of weird malware? Rare, but I guess possible. Reinstall should alleviate most problems.

About the keyboard, maybe there's water damage shorting things on the built in keyboard? Disconnecting it from the motherboard should do but it often means opening up the laptop and in many cases removing the motherboard, not an easy task

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

22 hours ago, rippy4500 said:

What are the pc specs? Use HWInfo if you don't know them and send a screenshot of the summary, And also check temps while you're there.

They followed up with the pc specs, I can now share what they gave me:

Device name:                LAPTOP-CVFA3VVS
Processor:                     Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9750H CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.59 GHz
Installed RAM:               16.0 GB (15.9 GB usable)
System type:                 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor (edited)
GPU:                               GeForce GTX 1650

Thanks again everyone for your help and input :))