Jump to content

First time building a pc, but would like to save money since my brother will be paying for it

Budget (including currency): 1600$

Country: USA

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for:  I will be mainly using this pc for gaming (apex, overwatch, fallout, etc.) but would also like to get into 3d modeling (blender) and editing, although editing is less in my priority list

Other details: as stated, I would like to build a pc that cost less but without taking away to much performance. I would also be fine if you gave me a suggestion that was over the price of a certain part in my build if its better. I also want to know if it is a good idea to at a later date: 1)  get a number keypad so i can have macro keys for editing if i do get into that: and 2)  use my current monitor (lg 24gn50w) as a second monitor when i get a 1440p monitor. lastly, can transfer windows OS from laptop to a PC?? Any help would be appreciated (=

 

PCPartPicker Part List:  https://pcpartpicker.com/list/pr6s28

 

Total $1486.79 USD

couldnt get mouse and keyboard into PCPP

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Murphythecow said:

can transfer windows OS from laptop to a PC?? Any help would be appreciated (=

no. do a fresh install the correct way

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, emosun said:

no. do a fresh install the correct way

ok got it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, emosun said:

no. do a fresh install the correct way

but what happen if he don't install correct way?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Murphythecow said:

Budget (including currency): 1600$

Country: USA

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for:  I will be mainly using this pc for gaming (apex, overwatch, fallout, etc.) but would also like to get into 3d modeling (blender) and editing, although editing is less in my priority list

Other details: as stated, I would like to build a pc that cost less but without taking away to much performance. I would also be fine if you gave me a suggestion that was over the price of a certain part in my build if its better. I also want to know if it is a good idea to at a later date: 1)  get a number keypad so i can have macro keys for editing if i do get into that: and 2)  use my current monitor (lg 24gn50w) as a second monitor when i get a 1440p monitor. lastly, can transfer windows OS from laptop to a PC?? Any help would be appreciated (=

 

PCPartPicker Part List:  https://pcpartpicker.com/list/pr6s28

 

Total $1486.79 USD

couldnt get mouse and keyboard into PCPP

 

 

Nice build 

To save money you can downgrade to a 7600 and/or change the GPU for a 7800xt, $200 less for comparable gaming performance but a bit less CPU horsepower 

PCPartPicker Part List

 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 7600 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor ($189.87 @ Amazon) 

CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($33.90 @ Amazon) 

Motherboard: MSI PRO B650M-A WIFI Micro ATX AM5 Motherboard ($156.99 @ Amazon) 

Memory: Silicon Power Value Gaming 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory ($94.97 @ Amazon) 

Storage: Silicon Power UD85 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive 

Video Card: Acer Predator BiFrost OC Radeon RX 7800 XT 16 GB Video Card ($474.99 @ Newegg) 

Case: Montech AIR 903 BASE ATX Mid Tower Case ($57.00 @ Amazon) 

Power Supply: NZXT C750 (2022) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Amazon) 

Total: $1097.71

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-06-22 14:25 EDT-0400

 

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / ASUS ROG AZOTH keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

Nice build 

To save money you can downgrade to a 7600 and/or change the GPU for a 7800xt, $200 less for comparable gaming performance but a bit less CPU horsepower 

PCPartPicker Part List

 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 7600 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor ($189.87 @ Amazon) 

CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($33.90 @ Amazon) 

Motherboard: MSI PRO B650M-A WIFI Micro ATX AM5 Motherboard ($156.99 @ Amazon) 

Memory: Silicon Power Value Gaming 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory ($94.97 @ Amazon) 

Storage: Silicon Power UD85 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive 

Video Card: Acer Predator BiFrost OC Radeon RX 7800 XT 16 GB Video Card ($474.99 @ Newegg) 

Case: Montech AIR 903 BASE ATX Mid Tower Case ($57.00 @ Amazon) 

Power Supply: NZXT C750 (2022) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Amazon) 

Total: $1097.71

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-06-22 14:25 EDT-0400

 

I would go the amd route but i heard nvidia is better for both 3d modeling and editing. As for the 7600 I did want the 7700x, for the more cores and clock speed, but i dont know how much that improves 3d rendering or editing so i might consider that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Murphythecow said:

I would go the amd route but i heard nvidia is better for both 3d modeling and editing. As for the 7600 I did want the 7700x, for the more cores and clock speed, but i dont know how much that improves 3d rendering or editing so i might consider that.

depends what program you use, the GPU in some programs plays a big part and the CPU can just be something that's modern enough to not cause any hiccups

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

current PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

  1. Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050
  2. Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050
  3. Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Murphythecow said:

I would go the amd route but i heard nvidia is better for both 3d modeling and editing. As for the 7600 I did want the 7700x, for the more cores and clock speed, but i dont know how much that improves 3d rendering or editing so i might consider that.

 

Unless one is doing content creation professionally or as a serious hobby the difference between Nvidia and AMD GPU is not as important as pricing and gaming performance.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Murphythecow said:

Budget (including currency): 1600$

Country: USA

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for:  I will be mainly using this pc for gaming (apex, overwatch, fallout, etc.) but would also like to get into 3d modeling (blender) and editing, although editing is less in my priority list

Other details: as stated, I would like to build a pc that cost less but without taking away to much performance. I would also be fine if you gave me a suggestion that was over the price of a certain part in my build if its better. I also want to know if it is a good idea to at a later date: 1)  get a number keypad so i can have macro keys for editing if i do get into that: and 2)  use my current monitor (lg 24gn50w) as a second monitor when i get a 1440p monitor. lastly, can transfer windows OS from laptop to a PC?? Any help would be appreciated (=

 

PCPartPicker Part List:  https://pcpartpicker.com/list/pr6s28

 

Total $1486.79 USD

couldnt get mouse and keyboard into PCPP

 

 

for this workload intel is better, + amd gpu is better value, here's a list:


https://pcpartpicker.com/list/fxCLZJ

 

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/fxCLZJ

CPU: Intel Core i7-14700K 3.4 GHz 20-Core Processor  ($373.06 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($116.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI MAG Z790 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($214.00 @ MSI) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-6400 CL32 Memory  ($212.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Western Digital Black SN770 500 GB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($59.99 @ Western Digital) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200 RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($64.98 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: PowerColor Fighter OC Radeon RX 7700 XT 12 GB Video Card  ($379.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Montech AIR 903 MAX ATX Mid Tower Case  ($75.00 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Corsair RM750e (2023) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($99.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1596.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-06-22 16:25 EDT-0400



Ignore the warning about the BIOS, it CAN be upgraded without a CPU thanks to BIOS flashback, the PSU is a bit borderline so try to get a 850 or even 1000 watt unit if you can.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Murphythecow said:

Budget (including currency): 1600$

Country: USA

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for:  I will be mainly using this pc for gaming (apex, overwatch, fallout, etc.) but would also like to get into 3d modeling (blender) and editing, although editing is less in my priority list

Other details: as stated, I would like to build a pc that cost less but without taking away to much performance. I would also be fine if you gave me a suggestion that was over the price of a certain part in my build if its better. I also want to know if it is a good idea to at a later date: 1)  get a number keypad so i can have macro keys for editing if i do get into that: and 2)  use my current monitor (lg 24gn50w) as a second monitor when i get a 1440p monitor. lastly, can transfer windows OS from laptop to a PC?? Any help would be appreciated (=

 

PCPartPicker Part List:  https://pcpartpicker.com/list/pr6s28

 

Total $1486.79 USD

couldnt get mouse and keyboard into PCPP

 

 

also please consider waiting for Core Ultra 200 a.k.a Arrow Lake

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, anirudthelinuxwIzard said:

also please consider waiting for Core Ultra 200 a.k.a Arrow Lake

does it have a release date? id like to get my pc now so i can use it throughout the summer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Murphythecow said:

does it have a release date? id like to get my pc now so i can use it throughout the summer.

well in that case i'd get the 14700K/Z790 build because Arrow Lake will launch at earliest in September.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, anirudthelinuxwIzard said:

well in that case i'd get the 14700K/Z790 build because Arrow Lake will launch at earliest in September.

 

Since OP indicates gaming is the principal use, why opt for the i7-14700K? A 7800X3D is certainly enough for getting into Blender and editing, (especially if paired it with an Nvidia GPU), is easier to cool and offers excellent gaming performance.

 

PCPartPicker Part List

 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor ($339.99 @ B&H) 

CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($33.90 @ Amazon) 

Motherboard: MSI PRO B650M-A WIFI Micro ATX AM5 Motherboard ($156.99 @ Amazon) 

Memory: G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL32 Memory ($96.98 @ Amazon) 

Storage: Silicon Power UD85 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($59.99 @ Amazon) 

Video Card: Asus DUAL EVO OC GeForce RTX 4070 SUPER 12 GB Video Card ($589.99 @ B&H) 

Case: Asus Prime AP201 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($79.98 @ Amazon) 

Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS GX-750 ATX 3.0 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Amazon) 

Case Fan: ARCTIC P12 PWM PST 56.3 CFM 120 mm Fan ($9.99 @ Amazon) 

Case Fan: ARCTIC P12 PWM PST 56.3 CFM 120 mm Fan ($9.99 @ Amazon) 

Custom: FANTECH ARIA XD7 Wireless Gaming Mouse - Pixart 3395 Gaming Sensor 26000 DPI, KAILH GM8.0 Switches, Super Lightweight 59 Grams and Ambidextrous Egg Shape, 3-Mode Connectivity, Black ($78.80 @ Amazon) 

Custom: TECWARE Phantom+ 87 Key Mechanical Keyboard, RGB led, Wraith Pink Switch ($55.99 @ Amazon) 

Total: $1602.58

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-06-23 15:15 EDT-0400

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, brob said:

 

Since OP indicates gaming is the principal use, why opt for the i7-14700K? A 7800X3D is certainly enough for getting into Blender and editing, (especially if paired it with an Nvidia GPU), is easier to cool and offers excellent gaming performance.

 

PCPartPicker Part List

 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor ($339.99 @ B&H) 

CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($33.90 @ Amazon) 

Motherboard: MSI PRO B650M-A WIFI Micro ATX AM5 Motherboard ($156.99 @ Amazon) 

Memory: G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL32 Memory ($96.98 @ Amazon) 

Storage: Silicon Power UD85 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($59.99 @ Amazon) 

Video Card: Asus DUAL EVO OC GeForce RTX 4070 SUPER 12 GB Video Card ($589.99 @ B&H) 

Case: Asus Prime AP201 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($79.98 @ Amazon) 

Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS GX-750 ATX 3.0 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Amazon) 

Case Fan: ARCTIC P12 PWM PST 56.3 CFM 120 mm Fan ($9.99 @ Amazon) 

Case Fan: ARCTIC P12 PWM PST 56.3 CFM 120 mm Fan ($9.99 @ Amazon) 

Custom: FANTECH ARIA XD7 Wireless Gaming Mouse - Pixart 3395 Gaming Sensor 26000 DPI, KAILH GM8.0 Switches, Super Lightweight 59 Grams and Ambidextrous Egg Shape, 3-Mode Connectivity, Black ($78.80 @ Amazon) 

Custom: TECWARE Phantom+ 87 Key Mechanical Keyboard, RGB led, Wraith Pink Switch ($55.99 @ Amazon) 

Total: $1602.58

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-06-23 15:15 EDT-0400

Quick sync is very useful for editing, even if you only do it a bit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×