Any specific SCSi adapter required for tape storage?

I'm looking into purchasing some physical tape, a tape drive, and a PCIe to SCSi card to glue the whole thing together. I understand this isn't the most practical medium to invest in and implement but its piqued my curiosity and suits my backup needs well enough at the same time as sounding like something fun to toy with, so I'm willing to invest in it if for nothing else than the fun factor. I'm not really interested in arguments in practicality.

I'm looking at purchasing something between and including LTO-3 and LTO-5, depending on what ends up being, after more research, a more optimal storage medium. I've chosen this range with personal consideration for my data storage needs, but LTO-5 seems to be the baseline for LTFS which appears to be quite optimal. Open to comment on this, but it's not my question at the moment.

I'm aware that tape drives require SCSi so I understand at this time I will need to invest in a PCIe to SCSi adapter. Are there specifics that I should look into while searching for an optimal card (as far as models, speed, feature set, etc.) or should anything fitting into a PCIe slot with a SCSi port out the back, forgoing speed and generational improvements, of course. There's some listings like this one on eBay that offer an enticing price point and seem (on paper) to be compatible but I'm not sure, especially as far as LTO-5 goes, how compatible these are in terms of data rates or the actual port out of the back.

As you can tell I'm not very knowledgeable as far as this goes but documentation on these kind of things seems fairly sparse as far as home consumers go, short of buying $1k+ carriers. I know the reason for this, of course, but I'm still morbidly (and actionably) curious. This is my stepping stone into poor financial decisions. Thanks in advance for any info!

My profile picure is real. That's what I look like in real life. I'm actually a blue and white African Wild Dog.

Ryzen 9 5900X - MSI Ventus 2x OC 3060 Ti - 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz CL16 - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax

EVGA CLC 280 + 2x140mm NF-A14 - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB + WD Black SN750 1TB - Windows 11/10 - EVGA Supernova G3 1000W

The majority of lto5 tape drives seem to be sas, not scsi. So you want a sas HBA like a lsi 9200-8i. Ive used a few HBAs with tape drives and they generally work fine. 

I'd probaby stay away from tapes for backup use. HDDs are much cheaper, and hold much more data than those old tapes. Much easier to work with too. 

35 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

The majority of lto5 tape drives seem to be sas, not scsi. So you want a sas HBA like a lsi 9200-8i. Ive used a few HBAs with tape drives and they generally work fine. 

Thanks for the reply! This is great. And yeah, I am aware that it's not the most practical but I appreciate the fun of learning it and the durability (I cannot be trusted with mechanically sensitive equipment)

My profile picure is real. That's what I look like in real life. I'm actually a blue and white African Wild Dog.

Ryzen 9 5900X - MSI Ventus 2x OC 3060 Ti - 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz CL16 - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax

EVGA CLC 280 + 2x140mm NF-A14 - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB + WD Black SN750 1TB - Windows 11/10 - EVGA Supernova G3 1000W

10 hours ago, mr cheese said:

Thanks for the reply! This is great. And yeah, I am aware that it's not the most practical but I appreciate the fun of learning it and the durability (I cannot be trusted with mechanically sensitive equipment)

Durability? Of tape drives? Hahahahahahahahaha....

Hahahaha. They require regular maintenance and service. My old companies lto loader was notoriously temperamental.

As mentioned, you'd look for an SAS card rather than SCSI - if you are buying any tape drive with parallel SCSI, it is too old to hold a reasonable amount of data.

Once you've got the SAS card, though, used datacenter hard drives (SAS) are a good deal cheaper than SATA drives per terabyte because very few people can actually run them - probably cheaper (to a certain point) and certainly more reliable than tape.

well damn! i was under the impression the media would be be less shock sensitive and readers at least a little reliable. maybe i'll put this on the back burner until i have enough stupid money to spend on stupid things. thanks y'all!

1 hour ago, mr cheese said:

well damn! i was under the impression the media would be be less shock sensitive and readers at least a little reliable. maybe i'll put this on the back burner until i have enough stupid money to spend on stupid things. thanks y'all!

The media is super stable, it's the drives that need care. They are rated in hours used so before you buy one, ask the seller for that.