Jump to content

I just installed a Known Working 1660 Super, and its giving 1% of Expected performance?

I installed a used 1660 Super as a second gpu for some extra monitors. playing a youtube video lags and pins it to 100%, and moving a window makes it spike to 20%. its a basic 2560x1080 Monitor, and it was doing that on 60hz mode. if i put it to 120hz, Moving the mouse literally makes it spike to 17%. what could possibly be wrong with it? it worked fine on the system it was just on earlier today. I have a Ryzen 9 5900X and Asus Prime B-350 Plus, theres no bottleneck.

 

Weirdly, my Main GPU seems to be going to higher utilization in as well I believe but its hard to tell.

If my Response helped you, Please click the Check under my reply, to mark it as The Solution!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Did you install the latest drivers?
https://www.nvidia.com/download/index.aspx

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Check PCIe bandwidth correctly in firmware or in GPU-Z. Monitor power and thermals of the GPU. Clean install the drivers. And also, verify that you even have an actual 1660 Super and not something else.

Microsoft owns my soul.

 

Also, Dell is evil, but HP kinda nice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, HanZie82 said:

Did you install the latest drivers?
https://www.nvidia.com/download/index.aspx

Of course. i used Geforce Experience, which after a few installs the computer was able to go from detecting the 1070, to detecting the 1660, to detecting both. everything is set up right. i cant get it to install the last update from june 4 as usual, I can install it 5 times and it still says I have to install it, but it always does that. 

If my Response helped you, Please click the Check under my reply, to mark it as The Solution!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Gat Pelsinger said:

Check PCIe bandwidth correctly in firmware or in GPU-Z. Monitor power and thermals of the GPU. Clean install the drivers. And also, verify that you even have an actual 1660 Super and not something else.

Its running on x16 2.0 where as my 1070 is on x16 3.0. old motherboard limitation maybe? but it should still run fine, especially for just a single extra monitor right now, but that will be 2 monitors on it in the future. 

If my Response helped you, Please click the Check under my reply, to mark it as The Solution!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, LamoidZombieDog said:

Of course. i used Geforce Experience, which after a few installs the computer was able to go from detecting the 1070, to detecting the 1660, to detecting both. everything is set up right. i cant get it to install the last update from june 4 as usual, I can install it 5 times and it still says I have to install it, but it always does that. 

Add that stuff in first post. 😉 The more you share the better help you can get.

Also tell us some of you setup, because now i would just highly advise removing the extra GPU and connecting both monitors to the 1070. Should be able to handle that really easy. (can even connect a 3rd).

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

Add that stuff in first post. 😉 The more you share the better help you can get.

Also tell us some of you setup, because now i would just highly advise removing the extra GPU and connecting both monitors to the 1070. Should be able to handle that really easy. (can even connect a 3rd).

Im not an idiot, Everything is set up correctly. It just doesn't make sense for it to pin from a youtube video when it worked normally in a different computer, so I'm trying to figure out what else to do. i have 4 monitors on the 1070, I cant hook up more. obviously I would have thought of that if I only had 1 monitor on there.

If my Response helped you, Please click the Check under my reply, to mark it as The Solution!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, LamoidZombieDog said:

Its running on x16 2.0 where as my 1070 is on x16 3.0. old motherboard limitation maybe? but it should still run fine, especially for just a single extra monitor right now, but that will be 2 monitors on it in the future. 

I recon that the x16 2.0 is likely only going to be x4 2.0. Very few motherboards have more than 1 actual x16 slot. What is the MB your using.

 Main Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X @ 3.6GHz, Stock Cooler

MOBO: ASUS ROG STRIX B350 F Gaming motherboard

RAM: 32GB(4x8GB) Team T-FORCE Night Hawk RGB 3000MHz DDR4

GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4070ti 12GB

STORAGE: 1TB Western Digital Blue HDD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda, 250GB Samsung 850 Evo, 1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus, 240GB WD Green M.2 SATA SSD

CASE: Montech King 95 Pro

PSU: Be Quiet! Straight Power 12 1000W

OS: Windows 10 Home

Monitor: Samsung Oddessy G6 27" 1440p, Viewsonic VX2455 144Hz

Mouse: Logitech G502 Lightspeed Wireless Mouse

Keyboard: ASUS Flare II Animate

Headphones: HyperX Cloud Alpha S Black

Microphone: HyperX Quadcast S

WIFI: ASUS PCE-AC55BT

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/user/johnno12/saved/gKgD23

 
 
 
 
1

 

Laptop:

Spoiler

Dell Inspiron 15-5000

CPU: i5-8250U Quadcore with hypertheading

GPU: AMD Radeon 540 4GB Hybrid Graphics

Storage: Micron 1100 SATA 256GB SSD

OS: Windows 10 Home

1

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, johnno124 said:

I recon that the x16 2.0 is likely only going to be x4 2.0. Very few motherboards have more than 1 actual x16 slot. What is the MB your using.

Asus Prime B-350 Plus

 

Asus recently took down their specs page due to the age of the motherboard, But I found a spec list stating this

 

  • 1x PCI-E 3.0 x16 @ x16
  • 1x PCI-E 2.0 x16 @ x4
  • 2x PCI-E 2.0 x1 @ x1
  • 2x PCI 5V @ 32-bit

If my Response helped you, Please click the Check under my reply, to mark it as The Solution!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, LamoidZombieDog said:

Asus Prime B-350 Plus

 

Asus recently took down their specs page due to the age of the motherboard, But I found a spec list stating this

 

  • 1x PCI-E 3.0 x16 @ x16
  • 1x PCI-E 2.0 x16 @ x4
  • 2x PCI-E 2.0 x1 @ x1
  • 2x PCI 5V @ 32-bit

yeah so the second physical x16 slot is only capable of running at x4. That would explain the shitty performance.

 Main Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X @ 3.6GHz, Stock Cooler

MOBO: ASUS ROG STRIX B350 F Gaming motherboard

RAM: 32GB(4x8GB) Team T-FORCE Night Hawk RGB 3000MHz DDR4

GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4070ti 12GB

STORAGE: 1TB Western Digital Blue HDD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda, 250GB Samsung 850 Evo, 1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus, 240GB WD Green M.2 SATA SSD

CASE: Montech King 95 Pro

PSU: Be Quiet! Straight Power 12 1000W

OS: Windows 10 Home

Monitor: Samsung Oddessy G6 27" 1440p, Viewsonic VX2455 144Hz

Mouse: Logitech G502 Lightspeed Wireless Mouse

Keyboard: ASUS Flare II Animate

Headphones: HyperX Cloud Alpha S Black

Microphone: HyperX Quadcast S

WIFI: ASUS PCE-AC55BT

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/user/johnno12/saved/gKgD23

 
 
 
 
1

 

Laptop:

Spoiler

Dell Inspiron 15-5000

CPU: i5-8250U Quadcore with hypertheading

GPU: AMD Radeon 540 4GB Hybrid Graphics

Storage: Micron 1100 SATA 256GB SSD

OS: Windows 10 Home

1

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, johnno124 said:

yeah so the second physical x16 slot is only capable of running at x4. That would explain the shitty performance.

so im limited to what 20% or so of its performance? i mean for existing for only two extra monitors its fine I guess. and my main GPU won't be affected right?

If my Response helped you, Please click the Check under my reply, to mark it as The Solution!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, LamoidZombieDog said:

so im limited to what 20% or so of its performance? i mean for existing for only two extra monitors its fine I guess. and my main GPU won't be affected right?

Do one thing. Remove your 1070 or whatever your other GPU is, and put the 1660 S in that slot, and see if everything is fine. If so, then it is the PCIe bandwidth.

Microsoft owns my soul.

 

Also, Dell is evil, but HP kinda nice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, LamoidZombieDog said:

Im not an idiot, Everything is set up correctly. It just doesn't make sense for it to pin from a youtube video when it worked normally in a different computer, so I'm trying to figure out what else to do. i have 4 monitors on the 1070, I cant hook up more. obviously I would have thought of that if I only had 1 monitor on there.

How do we know you're not an idiot?

 

Many come here adding a 2nd GPU thinking it will magically add to the first and give them better fps.  We can't know anything about you until you tell us.   Which you didn't do .

 

People have to ask questions to figure out what they dont know, and they can't make assumptions while investigating.

 

There is a huge difference in single GPU system than taking that GPU and adding it as a secondary one.

 

 

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

 

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

 

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

 

DIL: Ryzen 7800X3D - Gigabyte B650 Gaming X V2 - ASRock Steel Legend 7900GRE - G. Skill Flare X5 CL6000CL32 32GB - TeamGroup MP44L 2TB - Super Flower Leadex Platinum SE 1000w -NZXT H5 Elite

 

Emma: i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

 

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

 

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

 

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

 

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

 

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, LamoidZombieDog said:

Im not an idiot, Everything is set up correctly. It just doesn't make sense for it to pin from a youtube video when it worked normally in a different computer, so I'm trying to figure out what else to do. i have 4 monitors on the 1070, I cant hook up more. obviously I would have thought of that if I only had 1 monitor on there.

Seeing how limited the First Post was, it not weird people make their own conclusions.
The lack of specs, no mention of what you already tried, and barely any text formatting, is what gives me that indication.

So better safe to be sure, and rule out everything.

If you dont want that, add that info to the first post.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/13/2024 at 8:11 AM, Dedayog said:

How do we know you're not an idiot?

 

Many come here adding a 2nd GPU thinking it will magically add to the first and give them better fps.  We can't know anything about you until you tell us.   Which you didn't do .

 

People have to ask questions to figure out what they dont know, and they can't make assumptions while investigating.

 

There is a huge difference in single GPU system than taking that GPU and adding it as a secondary one.

 

 

I mean i asked a pretty simple question. i added a second GPU for extra monitors, and its performance is very poor. that right there explains it all. extra monitors means extra basic monitors, not "I'm using it for gaming".

If my Response helped you, Please click the Check under my reply, to mark it as The Solution!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 7/4/2024 at 5:18 PM, LamoidZombieDog said:

I mean i asked a pretty simple question. i added a second GPU for extra monitors, and its performance is very poor. that right there explains it all. extra monitors means extra basic monitors, not "I'm using it for gaming".

Yes, but the majority with this question does expect gaming performance...
And if not, better make sure. 🙂

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 7/4/2024 at 4:18 PM, LamoidZombieDog said:

I mean i asked a pretty simple question. i added a second GPU for extra monitors, and its performance is very poor. that right there explains it all. extra monitors means extra basic monitors, not "I'm using it for gaming".

Here's the problem.... 2.0 x 4 is the same bandwidth as a modern day pcie x1 slot.

 

The card is being completely bandwidth starved so expect terrible performance.

CPU : Ryzen 7 7800X3D @ -18mv all core except -13mv on Core 5 because its a pig.

CPU Cooler : Deepcool AK620 Zero Dark

Mobo : MSI B650M-A Wifi MATX

Ram : 32GB (2X16GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000MHZ CL34

GPU : Reference Design RX7900XT sold by Saphire running at 1050MV undervolt and +15% PL (355w)

Storage : 1TB WD SN770 + 2TB Samsung 970 Evo

PSU : Corsair HX750w Platinum

Case : Asus Prime AP201 All Mesh MATX

Case Fans : Arctic p12's everywhere i can fit them in , 7 In total.

Monitor : LG 27GP850-B.BEK 1440p Nano IPS 180Hz

Keyboard : HyperX Alloy Core RGB

Mouse : Corsair M65 Elite RGB

Headset : Corsair HS35 Gaming Headset

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×