Jump to content

Looking to upgrade my PC

Posted (edited)

Budget (including currency): £500-800

Country: United Kingdom

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 

  • GTA V
  • Rust
  • TC Rainbow 6
  • Rocket League
  • GTA VI (when it comes)
  • F1 23/ F1 24

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

 

Current build:

  • MOBO: Tomahawk B450 max
  • CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (stock cooler)
  • RAM: 2x8GB Corsair DDR4-2666 (1333 Mhz)
  • GPU: GTX 1060 6GB
  • PSU: Coolermaster 700W ATX 12V V2.3.1 (about 10 years old)
  • Case: Coolermaster HAF 912 Advanced

Reason for upgrade:

I'm wanting to upgrade my GPU seeing as though it is fairly old now and I want to be able to keep up with newer games. In doing so, I also thought that I would probably need to get a better PSU seeing as though mine is as old as it is. My case is also about 10 years old too and would like a change of scenary and it would give me an excuse to clean up the cable management properly.

 

Proposed Upgrades:

  • GPU: RTX 3070 8GB / RX 7800 xt - I don't know which is better value for money ~ £500
  • PSU: Corsair RM750e £109
  • CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 £110
  • Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow £80

I've come onto the forums today to seek advice to see if the upgrades I have planned are good and to see if I should upgrade other things such as my MOBO/CPU compared to a new case or PSU for example.

 

I currently only have a monitor that supports 75hz so getting a 144hz monitor is also on the shopping list but I'm not sure when or what to get.

 

Any help would be really appreciated.

Edited by Audrix
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Audrix said:

Budget (including currency): £500-800

Country: United Kingdom

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 

  • GTA V
  • Rust
  • TC Rainbow 6
  • Rocket League
  • GTA VI (when it comes)
  • F1 23/ F1 24

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

 

Current build:

  • MOBO: Tomahawk B450 max
  • CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (stock cooler)
  • RAM: 2x8GB Corsair DDR4-2666 (1333 Mhz)
  • GPU: GTX 1060 6GB
  • PSU: Coolermaster 700W ATX 12V V2.3.1 (about 10 years old)
  • Case: Coolermaster HAF 912 Advanced

Reason for upgrade:

I'm wanting to upgrade my GPU seeing as though it is fairly old now and I want to be able to keep up with newer games. In doing so, I also thought that I would probably need to get a better PSU seeing as though mine is as old as it is. My case is also about 10 years old too and would like a change of scenary and it would give me an excuse to clean up the cable management properly.

 

Proposed Upgrades:

  • GPU: RTX 3070 8GB / RX 7800 xt - I don't know which is better value for money ~ £500
  • PSU: Corsair RM750e £109
  • CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 £110
  • Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow £80

I've come onto the forums today to seek advice to see if the upgrades I have planned are good and to see if I should upgrade other things such as my MOBO/CPU compared to a new case or PSU for example.

 

I currently only have a monitor that supports 75hz so getting a 144hz monitor is also on the shopping list but I'm not sure when or what to get.

 

Any help would be really appreciated.

Please don't spend £110 on an NH-D15 for the Ryzen 3600.  Get a £30-40 cooler and spend the rest elsewhere or save it for more games.

 

Peerless Assassin SE120 or similar will work really well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Audrix said:
  • GPU: RTX 3070 8GB / RX 7800 xt - I don't know which is better value for money ~ £500
  • PSU: Corsair RM750e £109
  • CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 £110
  • Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow £80

Frankly you're bad at spending money. £109 for extra 50W of power?

£110 for a cooler? Robbery.

3070 for £500 just please no. 7800XT is the better here.

4000D case at £80 is also pricy but not the worst, only cause competition is around £5-10 chaper but also include all the fans, yet for the Corsair case you'd need to buy additional fans to at least have a 3in 1 out configuration.

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - RX6800 - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta - Silent Wings Pro 4's enjoyer

SetupZowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro Corsair K70 LUX browns - PC38X - Mackie CR5X's

Current build on PCPartPicker

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, venomtail said:

Frankly you're bad at spending money. £109 for extra 50W of power?

£110 for a cooler? Robbery.

3070 for £500 just please no. 7800XT is the better here.

4000D case at £80 is also pricy but not the worst, only cause competition is around £5-10 chaper but also include all the fans, yet for the Corsair case you'd need to buy additional fans to at least have a 3in 1 out configuration.

The £109 for the psu is because mine is 10 or so years old, so I'm erring on the side of caution and getting a new one before it eventually dies.

 

What do you suggest upgrading then and what to?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Audrix said:

Budget (including currency): £500-800

Country: United Kingdom

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 

  • GTA V
  • Rust
  • TC Rainbow 6
  • Rocket League
  • GTA VI (when it comes)
  • F1 23/ F1 24

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

 

Current build:

  • MOBO: Tomahawk B450 max
  • CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (stock cooler)
  • RAM: 2x8GB Corsair DDR4-2666 (1333 Mhz)
  • GPU: GTX 1060 6GB
  • PSU: Coolermaster 700W ATX 12V V2.3.1 (about 10 years old)
  • Case: Coolermaster HAF 912 Advanced

Reason for upgrade:

I'm wanting to upgrade my GPU seeing as though it is fairly old now and I want to be able to keep up with newer games. In doing so, I also thought that I would probably need to get a better PSU seeing as though mine is as old as it is. My case is also about 10 years old too and would like a change of scenary and it would give me an excuse to clean up the cable management properly.

 

Proposed Upgrades:

  • GPU: RTX 3070 8GB / RX 7800 xt - I don't know which is better value for money ~ £500
  • PSU: Corsair RM750e £109
  • CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 £110
  • Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow £80

I've come onto the forums today to seek advice to see if the upgrades I have planned are good and to see if I should upgrade other things such as my MOBO/CPU compared to a new case or PSU for example.

 

I currently only have a monitor that supports 75hz so getting a 144hz monitor is also on the shopping list but I'm not sure when or what to get.

 

Any help would be really appreciated.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: *AMD Ryzen 5 5600 3.5 GHz 6-Core Processor  (£108.97 @ Amazon UK) 
CPU Cooler: *Thermalright Assassin Spirit V2 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler  (£15.90 @ Amazon UK) 
Memory: *Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  (£62.99 @ Ebuyer) 
Video Card: *ASRock Challenger OC Radeon RX 7700 XT 12 GB Video Card  (£387.59 @ Newegg UK) 
Power Supply: *Asus Prime AP-750G 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (£94.19 @ Amazon UK) 
Monitor: *AOC 24G4XE 24.0" 1920 x 1080 180 Hz Monitor  (£124.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Total: £794.63
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-06-12 17:29 BST+0100

 

amd5600.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Why_Me said:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: *AMD Ryzen 5 5600 3.5 GHz 6-Core Processor  (£108.97 @ Amazon UK) 
CPU Cooler: *Thermalright Assassin Spirit V2 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler  (£15.90 @ Amazon UK) 
Memory: *Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  (£62.99 @ Ebuyer) 
Video Card: *ASRock Challenger OC Radeon RX 7700 XT 12 GB Video Card  (£387.59 @ Newegg UK) 
Power Supply: *Asus Prime AP-750G 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (£94.19 @ Amazon UK) 
Monitor: *AOC 24G4XE 24.0" 1920 x 1080 180 Hz Monitor  (£124.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Total: £794.63
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-06-12 17:29 BST+0100

 

amd5600.jpg

https://www.montechpc.com/en/products_detail.php?nid=356 

 

PCPartPicker Part List

Case: *Montech AIR 903 BASE ATX Mid Tower Case  (£54.98 @ Scan.co.uk) 
Total: £54.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-06-12 17:45 BST+0100

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Why_Me said:

https://www.montechpc.com/en/products_detail.php?nid=356 

 

PCPartPicker Part List

Case: *Montech AIR 903 BASE ATX Mid Tower Case  (£54.98 @ Scan.co.uk) 
Total: £54.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-06-12 17:45 BST+0100

image.thumb.png.8b0e502ef04fa79fcb3a38cff2f5902b.png

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

current PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

  1. Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050
  2. Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050
  3. Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Audrix said:

The £109 for the psu is because mine is 10 or so years old, so I'm erring on the side of caution and getting a new one before it eventually dies.

 

What do you suggest upgrading then and what to?

As long as it's not masterwatt PSU then use it till it goes boom or more closer to reality just doesn't turn on one day. My 600W Corsair PSU is still going strong. Replace by need not by fear.

 

I'd go with something like this. A lot of CPU eSports bound games so I'd not skimp on CPU and GPU is plenty fast, even for new titles. You're gonna need new RAM, the ones you have are painfully slow, would be surpised if the 3600 isn't even already underperforming. Case is what it is. If you want to spend extra to max out £75 is a healthy budget for a new case but optional rather than needed, though with a new case your PC will definitely feel like one from the 21st century so good for the mental reminder and a conversation starter:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X3D 3 GHz 8-Core Processor  (£212.00 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler  (£35.00 @ Computer Orbit)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For £0.00)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory  (£79.98 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: XFX Speedster QICK 319 BLACK Radeon RX 7700 XT 12 GB Video Card  (£394.44 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £721.42
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-06-12 18:37 BST+0100

 

Optional cases: Deepcool CH510 Mesh Digital, Fractal Design Focus 2

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - RX6800 - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta - Silent Wings Pro 4's enjoyer

SetupZowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro Corsair K70 LUX browns - PC38X - Mackie CR5X's

Current build on PCPartPicker

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Audrix said:

Proposed Upgrades:

  • GPU: RTX 3070 8GB / RX 7800 xt - I don't know which is better value for money ~ £500
  • PSU: Corsair RM750e £109
  • CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 £110
  • Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow £80

You have a pretty good budget for some pretty good upgrades( if pcpartpicker is correct). A CPU and RAM upgrade is highly recommended by me and should fit within the provided budget.

 

Recommendations:

  • CPU: R5 5600X or R7 5700X
  • RAM: 32GB(2×16) CL16 3200Mhz
  • GPU: RX 7700XT or 7800XT
  • PSU: RM/X 750 works fine
  • Case: 4000D Airflow is a good one

I only changed a few things for you and this should blow the doors off of what you already have while keeping playing of the nwer AAA games. Below is the a link with a list.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/892kMV

 

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/gtg3sh

 

If you want, you could also go with a cheaper case and maybe have some room for an upgraded CPU cooler.

 

 

 

Gaming With a 4:3 CRT

System specs below

 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X with a Noctua NH-U9S cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M (Because it was cheap)
RAM: 32GB (4 x 8GB) Corsair Vengance LPX 3200Mhz CL16
GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC Blower Card
HDD: 7200RPM TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB, External HDD: 5400RPM 2TB WD My Passport
SSD: 1tb Samsung 970 evo m.2 nvme
PSU: Corsair CX650M
Displays: ViewSonic VA2012WB LCD 1680x1050p @ 75Hz
Gateway VX920 CRT: 1920x1440@65Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@125Hz
Gateway VX900 CRT: 1920x1440@64Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@120Hz (Can be pushed to 175Hz)
 
Keyboard: Thermaltake eSPORTS MEKA PRO with Cherry MX Red switches
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×