99% FPS DROPS AND KINDA STUTTER

jdhue
Go to solution Solved by Mark Kaine,
5 minutes ago, jdhue said:

It's C tier. It ain't perfect but ain't tragic... And I have fresh Windows 11, but same thing was happening back on Windows 10. I will borrow new RAM from my friend and check out if this will help.

Tierlists are always bs... its a trash psu from a trash brand, but you don't need to listen,  its fine,  i just tried helping... good luck. 

Okay, I have this problem for very long time, and I am tired of this. Random FPS drops or 99% fps drops ( where 99% FPS drops below 20-50 fps than normal fps and I have 0.5 sec lag) in almost every game - RDR2, Elden Ring, even old games like Gothic 2 (I use DX11). Not every game have same drops. For example, RDR2 can have frist drop after like 3-4 minute of playing, or it can be after 20 minutes, and then fps drop after minute/2/3/ max 4. ER  goes after 10-20 minutes and drops can occur after another 10-20 min (though before I upgraded my CPU and GPU, it would have drops every few minutes, and it literally was a slide show for 2 seconds). Gothic 2 with DX 11 have fps drops every 2 minutes. All these game normally have high FPS (RDR2 100, ER locked 60, and G2 around 200), and all of these drops occur without reason (no explosion or action on the screen). I can't tell if every game have this problem, because these games aside I was also playing Helldrivers 2, and that game had stutter only when there was a lot of action. As I said I have swapped to new GPU and CPU, hoping it will fix my problem, but it didn't (though as I said, before that, ER for example had worse drops, so it helped with preformance ...). I also have "feezes" (also 0.5 sec) while using other programs like Steam our just watching YT videos ( but not like whole PC freeze, it's  either that YT vdeo or just Steam, I hope you know what I am saying ...), I don't know what may cause it, but I think that problem occured after I switched my RTX 3060 from PCIE 3.0 4x to PCIE 4.0 16x. After some time after that I switched it back to PCIE 3.0, but problem still occured, and by the way, my RAM kinda died (I was testing it on ER, when with 3060 , screen went black, and after that I had to restart CMS battery, because compter didn't wanted to turn on.) After that, I had multiple crashes with every game and I had to install new RAM. Now I have RTX 4070 SUPER, and new CPU - I5 13600k, but I stillI have these same problems. RTX is set in PCIE 4.0 16x, so I didn't tried to swap it to PCIE 3.0, I don't know if my PC is somehow faulty, but if it was I think it would be MOBO (B660M GAMING X DDR4), but I am not sure, just saying based on these few "problems" I have. Frist, sometimes when turning on PC, I have loud 5 beep sound coming from MOBO (I know what that mean, beeps appeared after I bought new monitor, and I heard it's "normal" for gigabyte, mobo just doesn't see monitor, anyway pc just reset after beeps and turn on normally). Second, sometimes my PC case fans doesn't spin (which make only GPU and cooler CPU fans spinning). They turn on some time after PC started working - not sure what "trigger" it, but I guess I have to turn on some demanding game ( Helldrivers 2 for example), after that few minutes later and fans start spinning. Thats all "problems" I think I have with mobo, though second one maye not even be about that. 

Here the all things I tried to do that would help with me drops ...

Upgrading BIOS (I have newest version)

Turning on XMP profile/ Turning it off.

Reseting Bios setting

Switching to new GPU and CPU

Reinstalling windows (I tried it on windows 10 and 11)

Disabling Gaming mode

I am tired, I bought gaming PC, and have these problems for so long time .... Does anyone know if I missed something? Or is it hardware fault? If yes, then which one? As I said, I didn't tried putting my RTX into PCIE 3.0, because I am afraid I will fry my RAM once again ... And I still waiting for new cooler, though I doubt it will help ...

Here are my specs:

RTX 4070 SUPER

I5 13600K

B660M GAMING X DDR4

32 GB RAM PATRIOT

SILENTIUMPC Vero L3 700W 80 Plus Bronze,

SILENTIUMPC Regnum RG6V TG,

SILENTIUMPC Spartan 5 Max, (I already wait for Thermalright Peerless Assassin)

Just now, Tan3l6 said:

It most likely is not the cause, but the PSU stands out as the low end part of the system. At least according to: https://cultists.network/140/psu-tier-list/

And PSU would cause suttering? I didn't used any monitoring programs beside NVIDIA, but I didn't noticed that watts were dissapearing when I had those sutters...

22 minutes ago, jdhue said:

And PSU would cause suttering? I didn't used any monitoring programs beside NVIDIA, but I didn't noticed that watts were dissapearing when I had those sutters...

As I wrote, probably not the cause but it just stands out, but not saying it's definitely not the cause. A decent one would be around $100.

Something like https://pcpartpicker.com/product/6NcG3C/corsair-rm750x-2021-750-w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020199-na

or https://pcpartpicker.com/product/YRJp99/corsair-rm750e-2023-750-w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020262-na

I edit my posts more often than not

16 minutes ago, jdhue said:

( where 99% FPS drops below 20-50 fps than normal fps

...? meaning? what are "normal fps"? 

17 minutes ago, jdhue said:

I have 0.5 sec lag

oh ok... in an online game?

just one other question,  do you have your framerate unlocked, if not, what is your target framerate?

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

7 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

...? meaning? what are "normal fps"? 

oh ok... in an online game?

just one other question,  do you have your framerate unlocked, if not, what is your target framerate?

i mean, I talk about fps and 99% fps in nvidia overlay, basically i have something like this but for every/most of the games. And no, i mean 0.5 sec lag/freeze or stutter, not sure how to call it, in every game. Limiting fps doesn't help much, I tried on 60 fps/144 fps.

20 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

I mean, yeah it's rather low-end PSU, I have, but as I said, I don't think it may be cause of stutters ... Do you think this can have something with BIOS?

7 minutes ago, jdhue said:

I mean, yeah it's rather low-end PSU, I have, but as I said, I don't think it may be cause of stutters ... Do you think this can have something with BIOS?

If it's the latest BIOS and you've reset to default, then it's probably not an issue of too old BIOS. PSU or motherboard would be my thoughts/suspicions.

Probably easier/cheaper to swap PSU first, that's why I brought it up in the first place.

I edit my posts more often than not

42 minutes ago, jdhue said:

RTX 4070 SUPER

I5 13600K

B660M GAMING X DDR4

32 GB RAM PATRIOT

full specs?

number of ram sticks?

latest drivers?

temperatures?

44 minutes ago, jdhue said:

Frist, sometimes when turning on PC, I have loud 5 beep sound coming from MOBO

image.png.8ba23e5ebc4f3bb95babb0e5da663c9e.png

If you want to check if it's the PSU, try this,

if you have software like MSI Afterburner where you can OC/undervolt your GPU, try running on a very low power limt, (default is 100%)

something like this:

image.png.80c106d9d0c87c22a9227969ca4d366a.png

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

current PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

1. Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050
  2. Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050
  3. Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

9 minutes ago, podkall said:

full specs?

number of ram sticks?

latest drivers?

temperatures?

image.png.8ba23e5ebc4f3bb95babb0e5da663c9e.png

If you want to check if it's the PSU, try this,

if you have software like MSI Afterburner where you can OC/undervolt your GPU, try running on a very low power limt, (default is 100%)

something like this:

image.png.80c106d9d0c87c22a9227969ca4d366a.png

temps are okay I think, In RDR2 had never than 70C,  same for CPU, cores have around 60-85 while playing that game, though when I was playing Helldrivers 2 i had multiple cores reaching 100c (shitty cooler, and that game use around 60-70 % of cpu sometimes!) and I had some lags, but it was clear it was duo throating, though not always. I use XMP, so yeah 2x16gb. GPU have latests drivers. Just asking, I will set just like you saying, and then what? What suppose to happen if it's PSU?

4 minutes ago, jdhue said:

I will set just like you saying, and then what? What suppose to happen if it's PSU?

50% power limit, means, the GPU will draw maximum of half of what it normally draws, since it will draw less it will put less stress on PSU, RTX 4070 Super is power efficient, but still pretty decently powerful GPU and OCd from factory, so you're looking for if the fps gets more stable, because the lowered power limit will most likely lower the average fps, but if it's a PSU related problem, the fps drops should stop.

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

current PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

1. Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050
  2. Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050
  3. Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

2 minutes ago, podkall said:

50% power limit, means, the GPU will draw maximum of half of what it normally draws, since it will draw less it will put less stress on PSU, RTX 4070 Super is power efficient, but still pretty decently powerful GPU and OCd from factory, so you're looking for if the fps gets more stable, because the lowered power limit will most likely lower the average fps, but if it's a PSU related problem, the fps drops should stop.

i mean, as I said, I had the same problems on RTX 3060 aswell ... But I will try what you said.

1 hour ago, jdhue said:

Okay, I have this problem for very long time, and I am tired of this. Random FPS drops or 99% fps drops ( where 99% FPS drops below 20-50 fps than normal fps and I have 0.5 sec lag) in almost every game - RDR2, Elden Ring, even old games like Gothic 2 (I use DX11). Not every game have same drops. For example, RDR2 can have frist drop after like 3-4 minute of playing, or it can be after 20 minutes, and then fps drop after minute/2/3/ max 4. ER  goes after 10-20 minutes and drops can occur after another 10-20 min (though before I upgraded my CPU and GPU, it would have drops every few minutes, and it literally was a slide show for 2 seconds). Gothic 2 with DX 11 have fps drops every 2 minutes. All these game normally have high FPS (RDR2 100, ER locked 60, and G2 around 200), and all of these drops occur without reason (no explosion or action on the screen). I can't tell if every game have this problem, because these games aside I was also playing Helldrivers 2, and that game had stutter only when there was a lot of action. As I said I have swapped to new GPU and CPU, hoping it will fix my problem, but it didn't (though as I said, before that, ER for example had worse drops, so it helped with preformance ...). I also have "feezes" (also 0.5 sec) while using other programs like Steam our just watching YT videos ( but not like whole PC freeze, it's  either that YT vdeo or just Steam, I hope you know what I am saying ...), I don't know what may cause it, but I think that problem occured after I switched my RTX 3060 from PCIE 3.0 4x to PCIE 4.0 16x. After some time after that I switched it back to PCIE 3.0, but problem still occured, and by the way, my RAM kinda died (I was testing it on ER, when with 3060 , screen went black, and after that I had to restart CMS battery, because compter didn't wanted to turn on.) After that, I had multiple crashes with every game and I had to install new RAM. Now I have RTX 4070 SUPER, and new CPU - I5 13600k, but I stillI have these same problems. RTX is set in PCIE 4.0 16x, so I didn't tried to swap it to PCIE 3.0, I don't know if my PC is somehow faulty, but if it was I think it would be MOBO (B660M GAMING X DDR4), but I am not sure, just saying based on these few "problems" I have. Frist, sometimes when turning on PC, I have loud 5 beep sound coming from MOBO (I know what that mean, beeps appeared after I bought new monitor, and I heard it's "normal" for gigabyte, mobo just doesn't see monitor, anyway pc just reset after beeps and turn on normally). Second, sometimes my PC case fans doesn't spin (which make only GPU and cooler CPU fans spinning). They turn on some time after PC started working - not sure what "trigger" it, but I guess I have to turn on some demanding game ( Helldrivers 2 for example), after that few minutes later and fans start spinning. Thats all "problems" I think I have with mobo, though second one maye not even be about that. 

Here the all things I tried to do that would help with me drops ...

Upgrading BIOS (I have newest version)

Turning on XMP profile/ Turning it off.

Reseting Bios setting

Switching to new GPU and CPU

Reinstalling windows (I tried it on windows 10 and 11)

Disabling Gaming mode

I am tired, I bought gaming PC, and have these problems for so long time .... Does anyone know if I missed something? Or is it hardware fault? If yes, then which one? As I said, I didn't tried putting my RTX into PCIE 3.0, because I am afraid I will fry my RAM once again ... And I still waiting for new cooler, though I doubt it will help ...

Here are my specs:

RTX 4070 SUPER

I5 13600K

B660M GAMING X DDR4

32 GB RAM PATRIOT

Downgrading your GPU to pcie3 won't help at all

What's your storage? and do you have other programs running while you're gaming?

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / ASUS ROG AZOTH keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

Turn off Nvidia overlay completely as that in itself can cause issues... use MSI afterburner overlay instead... just use the fps display and frametime graph (if you even need an overlay)

Also agree with others all of your low quality components, namely of the brand "silentiumpc" including the PSU could be cause for issues,  ie if the PSU provides "dirty" power, which is likely,  it could cause all kinds of issues,  including "stuttering".

Remember this: no matter what, the PSU is *always* the most important part of a system.

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

42 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

Downgrading your GPU to pcie3 won't help at all

What's your storage? and do you have other programs running while you're gaming?

i have fresh re-installed windows, only few games and essentials installed.

23 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Turn off Nvidia overlay completely as that in itself can cause issues... use MSI afterburner overlay instead... just use the fps display and frametime graph (if you even need an overlay)

Also agree with others all of your low quality components, namely of the brand "silentiumpc" including the PSU could be cause for issues,  ie if the PSU provides "dirty" power, which is likely,  it could cause all kinds of issues,  including "stuttering".

Remember this: no matter what, the PSU is *always* the most important part of a system.

can you tell me more about this "drity power"? my psu was frist primally for RTX 3060 and i5-12400f, just lately i swapt to 4070 and i5-13600k, but even on old set i had these problems ...

what's your vram usage in a normal gaming session with background tasks?

7 hours ago, jdhue said:

And PSU would cause suttering? 

No.

I suggest you start by using some extensive monitoring software (e.g., HWinfo64, it's free), and check for power, frequency, temperatures when the stutter happens, both for CPU and GPU at least, potentially storage too, and take it from there, depending on what you see.

1 hour ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

No.

I suggest you start by using some extensive monitoring software (e.g., HWinfo64, it's free), and check for power, frequency, temperatures when the stutter happens, both for CPU and GPU at least, potentially storage too, and take it from there, depending on what you see.

As I said - same thing happend before I upgraded GPU and CPU, so it's unlikely. May it be RAM that cause fps drops? I have exactly same 2 RAM stick that "died" But in 32 GB version (earlier it was 16 gb, patriots). Its 3600 mhz and ddr4!

And I forgot to add that before i switched to PCIE 4.0 I installed that new RAM, few days later I switched PCIE. But after 4 months I re-installed old RAM (I thought it may be, as far I remember it didn't, later my computer blue screenem and I had multiple crashes when playing video games so I installed 32 gb RAM back...)

14 hours ago, jdhue said:

i have fresh re-installed windows, only few games and essentials installed.

can you tell me more about this "drity power"? my psu was frist primally for RTX 3060 and i5-12400f, just lately i swapt to 4070 and i5-13600k, but even on old set i had these problems ...

its self explanatory... but, i repeat: stop using Nvidia overlay. 

if these problems persist i actually recommend full reinstall of windows 10.

7 hours ago, jdhue said:

thought it may be, as far I remember it didn't, later my computer blue screenem and I had multiple crashes when playing video games so I installed 32 gb RAM back...

yeah that makes me think something is wrong with your settings,  apps and or windows install.  to be clear, this is unlikely to be a hardware issue...

but you could run memtest64 at least 4 full cycles,  see if something is wrong with your ram anyhow.

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

9 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

No.

i mean, its possible, if mobo doesn't get the proper voltages etc anything could happen tbh.

but i agree, op needs to start testing things properly and using proper monitoring software like hwinfo64 or afterburner... and also replace that forsaken PSU asap tbth.

14 hours ago, jdhue said:

my psu was frist primally for RTX 3060 and i5-12400f, just lately i swapt to 4070 and i5-13600k, but even on old set i had these problems ...

the PSU was always bad so it doesn't matter. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

14 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

i mean, its possible, if mobo doesn't get the proper voltages etc anything could happen tbh.

but i agree, op needs to start testing things properly and using proper monitoring software like hwinfo64 or afterburner... and also replace that forsaken PSU asap tbth.

the PSU was always bad so it doesn't matter. 

It's C tier. It ain't perfect but ain't tragic... And I have fresh Windows 11, but same thing was happening back on Windows 10. I will borrow new RAM from my friend and check out if this will help.

5 minutes ago, jdhue said:

Tierlists are always bs... its a trash psu from a trash brand, but you don't need to listen,  its fine,  i just tried helping... good luck. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 6/13/2024 at 10:29 PM, Mark Kaine said:

it's must be mobo. I tried to switch my ram and friend's ram to B2 (from B1) and Windows keep crashing and having blue screen (with XMP it's 100 % that it will happend, without it I still get crashes and blue screen occasionaly). really, fuck gigabyte, i never buy a thing from them.