Building a computer, what should i do for sound?

Vicente Gomez

Hey guys,

I'm building a gaming pc. For audio, should i get a head set with a microphone, should i buy the them separatly for the pc itself, or should i do both. Very confused for this stage of building.

You could combine headphones with a desktop microphone, or you could get a headset with a mic.

It's really up to you, desktop mics are generally better quality than the ones on headsets, but it depends what you will be using it for, what are the uses?

Just get a gaming headset with a mic

Cpu: Intel i5- 4570 | Ram: Crucial DDR3 8GB | Video Card: Evega GTX 660 Ti 2GB Super Clocked

Monitor: Philips 24" | Keyboard: CM Storm Quickfire TK | Mouse: Logitech G700s |

Steam

I'm kind of confused what you're asking but i'll take a stab.

You have three options.

Headphones + external mic such as a blue snowball. 

This will be most likely more expensive but will have better sound quality in both the mic and the headset.

Headphones + Mod Mic

This will be cheaper than the option above and will sound the same with the exception of the mic. The mod mic is still good. I believe linus has a video on it.

Headset

This won't sound great depending on what you get. The mic's are meh and the headphones themselves are alright to say the most. Check out hardware canucks for more on those types of headsets. Great reviews.

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

Get head phones the get like a modmic. 

If you want better sound get an EXTERNAL DAC/AMP.

Please dont get any of those 7.1 or 5.1 stuff. It's all just hype. Trust me I have one. I almost never use it... 

CPU: i5 -2400 Cooler: Noctua NH-L12 Mobo: Fatal1ty Z68 Pro Gen3 Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz SSD: Samsung 840 120gb HDD: WD 3TB Green, Seagate Barracuda 1TB GPU: Asus GTX 760 Direct CU II (future SLI) Sound card: Xonar Phoebus PSU: Corsair RM series 750 watts Case: Aerocool Mechatron Fans: Bit Fenix Spectre Pros
Monitor:Samsung SyncMaster SA950, Philips Blade 234CLSpeakers: Logitech z506 Headset: Razer Tiamat 7.1 KB: Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth edition Mouse: Ouroburos Mouse pad: Golaithus Extended Speed edition Gamepad: Orbweaver Controllers: Wireless Xbox 360 Controller, Razer Hydra 
System: Razer Edge Mouse: Razer Orochi Mouse pad: Razer Vespula Controlers: Razer Sabertooth (2 pcs.) Headset: Razer Blackshark Speakers: Razer Ferox What can I say, I'm a huge fan of Razer.  :D

Just get a gaming headset with a mic

Why would you say that? Those are usually overpriced peieces of garbage according to Linus.

My AX pro's broke in under 6 months.

IMHO this is the worst option by far.

But hey it's your opinion.

What's up with my weird spacing?

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

@Askew

I will mostly be using the mic for skype and teamspeak.

In terms of hearing things, everything from youtube to facebook videos. But I'm really looking to get the best audio for gaming.

Its all about personal preference and budget. 

If you can afford to buy a good set of headphones ( AT-HM50) and a separate mic, (Blue Snowball) is a great choice.

However, this would be much more expensive than a headset. 

Hope that helps.

-ces160

Unless he plans on buying some decently good headphones the onboard is plenty nowadays as long as you use the rear port.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

@Askew

I will mostly be using the mic for skype and teamspeak.

In terms of hearing things, everything from youtube to facebook videos. But I'm really looking to get the best audio for gaming.

As @ces160 has just posted, a budget is the important starting point, there are various solutions. :)

I'm not mic buff, but I'm sure one will come along to the thread and if a budget is already posted up it will help them out.

@ShearMe

no more than 100 on audio

Grab a pair of M50's for that price. Mine are great. 

By the way it's easier to just hit the quote button even though tagging still does work.

Might wanna grab a pair of SRH-840 earpads though as the stock ones are rather uncomfortable. 

Get head phones the get like a modmic. 

Please dont get any of those 7.1 or 5.1 stuff. It's all just hype. Trust me I have one. I almost never use it... 

I agree, just like what Linus always says "You only have 2 ears" so you don't need any of that 5.1 or 7.1 jazz..

2 good quality cans, and some software trickery and you will have a better 5.1 of 7.1 experience. 

@ShearMe

no more than 100 on audio

Honestly, I'm just going to say a headset will be easiest for you. No point in nitpicking about which one you get really.

Why would you say that? Those are usually overpriced peieces of garbage according to Linus.

My AX pro's broke in under 6 months.

IMHO this is the worst option by far.

But hey it's your opinion.

What's up with my weird spacing?

Depend on what you get for a headset.   Trittions/Corsiar/Turttlebeach/Etc.. Yea. but  Sennheiser's G4M3 series or Audio Technica's AG1's are just their headphone with a convenient mic for those that like it to be all in one.

Also their are headphone that support detachable mics like Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro, Vmoda LP2/M100, or ATH-M50X with the Vmoda mic.

For a $100 budget I would look at the SteelSeries Siberia V2 Full Size Headset.

@quote

do you guys like the g230s, they seem good to me

Depend on what you get for a headset.   Trittions/Corsiar/Turttlebeach/Etc.. Yea. but  Sennheiser's G4M3 series or Audio Technica's AG1's are just their headphone with a convenient mic for those that like it to be all in one.

Also their are headphone that support detachable mics like Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro, Vmoda LP2/M100, or ATH-M50X with the Vmoda mic.

He said gaming so I assumed the trittons ETC but you're right that you can get some quality one's. Didn't think about non gaming related headphones.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Take a look at Kingston HyperX Cloud Gaming headset.  For a Headset in that price range it supposed to be decent.

what do you think of the g230s tho

@Lays

the blue snow ball is a microphone and a speaker or just a microphone