Jump to content

Best GPU on 450w?

Gendo
Go to solution Solved by OhYou_,

yea a 3060 or rx 6650 xt or 4060ti or probably a 4070 with turboboost turned off

Hi, I feel like my 1080 is about to go to a better place but have little budget for a meaningful replacement and even less for a new PSU.

 

Is there anything better than a 1080 that will run on a 450w Bronze PSU? Specs in signature.

 ¦ Ryzen 5600 ¦ ROG Strix B550 ¦ Nvidia 1660Super ¦ 16GB 3600 ¦ EVGA 450w ¦ WD M.2 ¦

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

i'd sooner think your psu was to blame than the gpu , but seeing as you've given basically no information then that won't be possible to determine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

yea a 3060 or rx 6650 xt or 4060ti or probably a 4070 with turboboost turned off

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, emosun said:

i'd sooner think your psu was to blame than the gpu , but seeing as you've given basically no information then that won't be possible to determine.

The fans are been failing for the past 2 months, I don't think it's worth replacing as the fans aren't terribly cheap.

 ¦ Ryzen 5600 ¦ ROG Strix B550 ¦ Nvidia 1660Super ¦ 16GB 3600 ¦ EVGA 450w ¦ WD M.2 ¦

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Gendo said:

Hi, I feel like my 1080 is about to go to a better place

don't let it go to the better place then,

 

if it's due to thermals, then re-pasting the 1080 can save it, unless it has other problems,

 

there's not many GPUs that aren't power hungry, the idea of faster card while drawing same power isn't that much realistic, although if you jump from 10 to 40 series you can get up to 4060ti and AMD goes up to like 7600 XT,

 

even 6700 XT recommends 550W PSU,

 

2 minutes ago, Gendo said:

The fans are been failing for the past 2 months, I don't think it's worth replacing as the fans aren't terribly cheap.

there's other ways to replace fans, though it doesn't look pretty

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, OhYou_ said:

yea a 3060 or rx 6650 xt or 4060ti or probably a 4070 with turboboost turned off

The 3060 would be within budget, I was looking into a 2070 Super or 2080 before noticing the power draw and the 3060 seems to be at a similar performance for less watts, thanks.

 ¦ Ryzen 5600 ¦ ROG Strix B550 ¦ Nvidia 1660Super ¦ 16GB 3600 ¦ EVGA 450w ¦ WD M.2 ¦

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, podkall said:

don't let it go to the better place then,

 

if it's due to thermals, then re-pasting the 1080 can save it, unless it has other problems,

 

there's not many GPUs that aren't power hungry, the idea of faster card while drawing same power isn't that much realistic, although if you jump from 10 to 40 series you can get up to 4060ti and AMD goes up to like 7600 XT,

 

even 6700 XT recommends 550W PSU,

 

there's other ways to replace fans, though it doesn't look pretty

Temps are actually fine and was re-pasted not long ago, it just makes a horrible noise and vibrates wildly. Also can't really unplug the faulty one as it's the first in the daisy chain of 3 and that amount of vibration can't be good for the rest of the system.

 

Thought about strapping a couple of 120mm to it but then I'd give up on selling it so I was thinking getting a cheap GPU like a 3060 mentioned above and fix it later with original fans if at all worth it.

 ¦ Ryzen 5600 ¦ ROG Strix B550 ¦ Nvidia 1660Super ¦ 16GB 3600 ¦ EVGA 450w ¦ WD M.2 ¦

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Gendo said:

Temps are actually fine and was re-pasted not long ago, it just makes a horrible noise and vibrates wildly. Also can't really unplug the faulty one as it's the first in the daisy chain of 3 and that amount of vibration can't be good for the rest of the system.

 

Thought about strapping a couple of 120mm to it but then I'd give up on selling it so I was thinking getting a cheap GPU like a 3060 mentioned above and fix it later with original fans if at all worth it.

I mean it depends, they ain't far from each other,

 

image.png.0f2f8c0eddd445bcaf3c648fc80ede73.png

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, podkall said:

I mean it depends, they ain't far from each other,

 

image.png.0f2f8c0eddd445bcaf3c648fc80ede73.png

Where's the graph from?

 ¦ Ryzen 5600 ¦ ROG Strix B550 ¦ Nvidia 1660Super ¦ 16GB 3600 ¦ EVGA 450w ¦ WD M.2 ¦

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

I see the 6650 would be better than 3060 and they go for the same price, might as well...

 

I was hoping the 3060 would do better at 1440p due to larger ram but it doesn't.

 

Does the 6650 have comparable scaling tech? 

 ¦ Ryzen 5600 ¦ ROG Strix B550 ¦ Nvidia 1660Super ¦ 16GB 3600 ¦ EVGA 450w ¦ WD M.2 ¦

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Gendo said:

Temps are actually fine and was re-pasted not long ago, it just makes a horrible noise and vibrates wildly. Also can't really unplug the faulty one as it's the first in the daisy chain of 3 and that amount of vibration can't be good for the rest of the system.

 

Thought about strapping a couple of 120mm to it but then I'd give up on selling it so I was thinking getting a cheap GPU like a 3060 mentioned above and fix it later with original fans if at all worth it.

Just strap fans to it and call it a day

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Gendo said:

Where's the graph from?

oh yeah, here you go:

 

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-gtx-1080.c2839

 

it's a very cool website,

 

13 hours ago, Gendo said:

I see the 6650 would be better than 3060 and they go for the same price, might as well...

 

I was hoping the 3060 would do better at 1440p due to larger ram but it doesn't.

 

Does the 6650 have comparable scaling tech? 

6000 series can probably use fsr if the game has/supports it,

 

I still don't really get why you're considering buying a slightly better brand new GPU when you could pay less money getting similarly fast used or simply spending less to fix the 1080's cooler or something

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, podkall said:

I still don't really get why you're considering buying a slightly better brand new GPU when you could pay less money getting similarly fast used or simply spending less to fix the 1080's cooler or something

Considering used only, I don't play much but the couple games I do could use a slight improvement.

I can spare 200 and the fans would cost about 40  for a 100 GPU hence why i was considering.

A 6650 XT is 135% from a 1080 on the website you linked and seems good enough for my needs, especially daily driving Linux I could use an AMD for sure.

 ¦ Ryzen 5600 ¦ ROG Strix B550 ¦ Nvidia 1660Super ¦ 16GB 3600 ¦ EVGA 450w ¦ WD M.2 ¦

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Gendo said:

The fans are been failing for the past 2 months, I don't think it's worth replacing as the fans aren't terribly cheap.

You can always just ziptie a couple fans to it. You can even have them throttle up and down using FanControl

As for options, OhYou has good ones

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, OddOod said:

You can always just ziptie a couple fans to it. You can even have them throttle up and down using FanControl

As for options, OhYou has good ones

exactly, you have couple of options to go for, each varying in effort and price

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×