GPU to pair with 6600k

I just got a new to me PC am am currently using the integrated graphics. It's kind of a potato PC, but it is the first tower I have had in 15-20 years. I'm looking to spend around $100-$150 for a graphics card that hopefully I can grow into and am looking for suggestions.

Below are the current specs and what I am looking to slowly upgrade. I realize the 16x slot is only PCI Gen 3, but eventually I will upgrade to a newer motherboard/CPU. I don't need ray tracing, but would like something that has enough VRAM I can play modern titles on (eventually at 1440p/60Hz).

Current specs:

Motherboard: Asus Z170-AR

CPU: i5-6600k (it is stable at 4.5GHz with thermal and power headroom; I have yet to see how far I can push it though)

RAM: Corsair 16GB 2400MHz dual channel

Display: 1080p 60Hz VGA/DVI ViewSonic panel (I am using an HDMI to DVI cable at the moment)

CPU cooler: small tower cooler with what looks to be an 40mm or 60mm fan

PSU: Aresgame AGV500 (500W 80 plus bronze) (it does have an 8 pin and a 6+2 pin connector)

Planned upgrades before a MOBO & CPU change:

i7-7700k or i7-6700k

Bigger tower cooler like Noctua NH-D15 or Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2

1440p display

Better PSU (80 plus Gold, more wattage depending on the system draw)

Non-RGB fans 🙃

7 minutes ago, BudgieSmuggler88 said:

I just got a new to me PC am am currently using the integrated graphics. It's kind of a potato PC, but it is the first tower I have had in 15-20 years. I'm looking to spend around $100-$150 for a graphics card that hopefully I can grow into and am looking for suggestions.

Below are the current specs and what I am looking to slowly upgrade. I realize the 16x slot is only PCI Gen 3, but eventually I will upgrade to a newer motherboard/CPU. I don't need ray tracing, but would like something that has enough VRAM I can play modern titles on (eventually at 1440p/60Hz).

Current specs:

Motherboard: Asus Z170-AR

CPU: i5-6600k (it is stable at 4.5GHz with thermal and power headroom; I have yet to see how far I can push it though)

Display: 1080p 60Hz VGA/DVI ViewSonic panel (I am using an HDMI to DVI cable at the moment)

PSU: Aresgame AGV500 (500W 80 plus bronze) (it does have an 8 pin and a 6+2 pin connector)

i7-7700k or i7-6700k

1440p display

Non-RGB fans 🙃

If you can, please replace the PSU as its not very good at all.

The MSI MAG A650BN 650 W or A550BN are two good replacement units that come with 5 year warranty without costing too much.

I paired a 980Ti with my own 6600k and had quite a decent gaming experience.

Used GPU's okay for you? A used RTX 2060 would be a nice pair!
image.png.dcdde0b9f046fa7c369e1b6a9b335581.png

for 100-150$ id reccomend a used 5700xt which outperforms a gtx 1080 and is equivalent to a 6600xt, but if you can find a 6600xt or even a 6700(xt) at this pricr then go for those instead as thry draw less power and the 6700(xt) performs better + more vram

1 hour ago, BudgieSmuggler88 said:

i7-7700k or i7-6700k

1440p display

Non-RGB fans 🙃

upgrading 1151 is completely pointless and a waste of money so dont bother with the i7s, just delid the i5 and push it farther

outdated and overpriced coolers, better off with a peerless assassin/phantom spirit 120 or a variant of these which are around the 30-40$ mark

look for a psu with a minimum 10 year warranty and 850w or up like the gf1/gf a3, otherwise buy a used 850w like the rm(x) or equivalent which are usually half the price of the aformentioned new psus, much better than whatever warrantyless garbage 650w bronze you can get around 50$ that youd need to upgrade anyways later on due to low wattage

send a pic of the internals and the rgb fans up close, if the rgb is not inside the fan itself then you can just cut the rgb lights off, or if they happen to use rgb headers you can just unplug the rgb headers and thatll turn the rgb off, worst case scenario you swap the entire case out since its probably more worth it to buy an entirely new case with 3-4 fans incl, otherwise theres also 3-5 pack arctic p12

btw what country?

and after you upgrade the gpu what budget and around what time of year do you plan on overhauling the cpu + mobo combo?

alongside usecases cause that also determines the cpu + gpu combo

as for your current system

you can delid this with a thin razor from a cheap generic shaving tool, basically take one of those apart and you end up with a super thin razor that can slip under the ihs and cut the silicone that sticks the ihs onto the cpu substrate

since its using a garbage tim that has probably dried up by now you just pop the ihs off after cutting all the silicone adhesive, no need for heatguns or torches or whatnot to melt indium solder (me that delidded a soldered p4 with a candle) so incredibly easy and simple

and since it isnt solder its gonna be very easy to fully clean the die and ihs, no need for excessive scraping, then you just put some liquid metal on the cpu die + ihs and enjoy your much lower temps, also means that if you upgrade cooler first to a pa/ps120 you can actually utilize the better cooler and get lower temps

send thaiphoon burner screenshot

skylake should be capable of around 3600-4000 so you might aswell do a lazy ram oc since these are still pretty slow speeds for ddr4

and ill clear a few misconceptions around ram oc while im at it

Spoiler

IMG_20240226_015145.thumb.jpg.7e23d5ac63896a27983bdf868ecf3f73.jpgIMG_20240330_233353.thumb.jpg.e9ba5766ec80228368cf2df120dc0b55.jpg

no your rams bin or stock speed is not a reference as to how well itll overclock, thats completely dependant on the ic and to a much lesser extent the rams pcb (only matters for high freq like 4600+ especally for double sided sticks), look at the photos above for reference and keep in mind that cpuz displays half your ram speed so if it was running at stock speed cpuz would be displaying 667 (rams are binned for 1333)

there is no one size fits all voltage applicable to all ram ics so max safe 1.45v or 1.5v for all ddr4 is bullshit, again this is completely ram ic dependant as some ics just wont degrade at all and continue scaling past 2v (ex samsung bdie, micron rev e), some will hit a scaling wall before degrading (ex hynix djr 1.9v, micron rev b 1.7v), and some just dont scale and degrade at a low volt (ex samsung c die)

and the imc can give less of a shit about vdimm, dunno who thought the imc can degrade with vdimm but this is also bullshit, pics above vdimm at 2.3v which is 0.65v above reccomended on x58 (1.65v), ive run higher (upto 2.6v) but found no practical use atleast for now, maybe 2.6v too low to run cas 9 at 3000+ with those samsung gdies so gonna have to voltmod the board

you can probably overclock your monitor to 75hz just by using the custom resolution utility in your gpu drivers so atleast the experience wont be too bad till you upgrade your monitor

aformentioned pa/ps120 and their variants are a good upgrade for 30-40$ and much better than a crappy pure rock whilst being competitive or outright beating a d15 all while being relatively cheap

12v = 37.5a = 450w effective, not particularly good but i wouldnt call it bad, if it has been working for awhile like over a year then the psu poses no threat as a lemon would have died alot sooner, basically why 3-7yo and older used psus are next to risk free though you wouldnt wanna go older than 7 years since a psu usually lives 10-15 years though higher quality units id expect anywhere from 12-17 years

and yes i have 3 used psus all bought under 20$ and all are working just fine even if one (dazumba 450w eff 360w) is now 13yo and a pretty meh quality unit due to the 12v rail distance to psu advertised wattage (yes your aresgame is better than this psu), all of them are from relatively unknown brands and i only used the 12v rail as a reference for quality so if all of mine are working fine then a used quality 850w rm(x) or equivalent will be basically risk free and definitely last awhile (atleast longer than whatever crappy new 650w bronze you can find at ~50$ which is what these used psus usually go for) cause reputable brands and known good quality

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/2/2024 at 6:59 PM, Hinjima said:

If you can, please replace the PSU as its not very good at all.

I'll look at getting a new PSU after the graphics card. From what I understand an 850W 80+ gold PSU with a long warranty, like one from Seasonic should be good for my system to grow into.

On 4/2/2024 at 6:59 PM, Hinjima said:

Used GPU's okay for you? A used RTX 2060 would be a nice pair!

I am looking for a used GPU. I was thinking about a GTX 1080 since they seem to be easier to find and have more VRAM than a RTX 2060.

On 4/2/2024 at 8:30 PM, Somerandomtechyboi said:

btw what country?

I'm just outside of Denver, CO, USA.

id reccomend a used 5700xt which outperforms a gtx 1080 and is equivalent to a 6600xt, but if you can find a 6600xt or even a 6700(xt) at this pricr then go for those instead as thry draw less power and the 6700(xt) performs better + more vram

At least on Denver's Craigslist, it is harder to find a 5700xt than a GTX1080. Going to eBay I might be able to find a 5700xt in my price range assuming I am not out-bid.

and after you upgrade the gpu what budget and around what time of year do you plan on overhauling the cpu + mobo combo?

I'm not sure when or for how much I'll be overhauling the CPU + mobo combo. My plan is to upgrade parts that can be moved over first, like CPU cooler, PSU, etc. then start looking at a new platform.

23 minutes ago, BudgieSmuggler88 said:

I'll look at getting a new PSU after the graphics card. From what I understand an 850W 80+ gold PSU with a long warranty, like one from Seasonic should be good for my system to grow into.

Seasonic is usually overpriced

850w Toughpower gf1 would be my pick at 95$ and a 10 year warranty, theres also the core reactor (ii) which also has a 10 year warranty

Though do keep in mind that a psu upgrade is not strictly neccesary unless you go over a 6700xt or 3070 which are ~200$ used gpus so imo waste of money if you arent going past a 6700xt/3070 and you can allcoate that 95$ for a platform upgrade instead which will give you noticable results performance wise

31 minutes ago, BudgieSmuggler88 said:

At least on Denver's Craigslist, it is harder to find a 5700xt than a GTX1080. Going to eBay I might be able to find a 5700xt in my price range assuming I am not out-bid.

Facebook marketplace is also a good site to look for used gpus

1080 is a solid choice though id also look for used 3060(ti) 6600(xt) 2070s and 1080ti

42 minutes ago, BudgieSmuggler88 said:

I'm not sure when or for how much I'll be overhauling the CPU + mobo combo. My plan is to upgrade parts that can be moved over first, like CPU cooler, PSU, etc. then start looking at a new platform.

Cpu cooler wise you can buy a phantom spirit for ~35$ which is basically the best thing you can buy aside from the frozn a720 but thats double the price and performance diff is minimal

Again psu is a waste of money if you dont plan on going over a 6700xt/3070 and a 1080ti is still well below those two gpus even in power draw

Rams can be kept and tuned to 3800 or atleast 3200

Platform wise you can buy a used 5600(x) for ~80$ and a used midranger b3/450 like the tomahawk or equivalent for ~50$ so ~130$ for a platform upgrade, next step up is a 12600kf + z690m pg4 for 250$ or a microcenter 12600k bundle with a z790-p and 16gb of ram for the same price, next step up after that would be a microcenter 7700x bundle with a b650-p and 32gb 6000c32 for 400$. Avoid wasting your money on a 6700(k) or 7700k unless its 30$ or less and you delid + oc to 4.6-4.8ghz