Synology DS918+ Fans

Vectraat

I'm thinking about replacing the fans in my DS918+.

I've attached an image of the fan replacement. However, It's $54 to have a single replacement fan shipped so I'm not doing that.

I believe I can use two of these NOCTUA FANS instead? 

It won't void my warranty as I'm no longer in warranty and I can buy 2 of these fans for under the cost of 1 Synology fan. Will the Noctua fans work? 

Synology Fan Post.png

2 minutes ago, Vectraat said:

I'm thinking about replacing the fans in my DS918+.

I've attached an image of the fan replacement. However, It's $54 to have a single replacement fan shipped so I'm not doing that.

I believe I can use two of these NOCTUA FANS instead? 

It won't void my warranty as I'm no longer in warranty and I can buy 2 of these fans for under the cost of 1 Synology fan. Will the Noctua fans work? 

Spoiler

Synology Fan Post.png

Due to the original fan having an standard header, i'll assume: yes.

But i also found the original on amazon, that one could maybe cheaper than the ones you found?

The Link:

I am NOT a professional and I write before I think, so REFRESH THE PAGE!!!  Theres a 99% chance I've edited my post.

Also: Please enable XMP/D.O.H.C before asking why your ram is too slow.

Just now, Aleph256 said:

Inexperienced people trying to not break they're stuff and bank account ;).

I am NOT a professional and I write before I think, so REFRESH THE PAGE!!!  Theres a 99% chance I've edited my post.

2 minutes ago, Sanedish said:

Inexperienced people trying to not break they're stuff and bank account ;).

Oh I know - just got a smile from the fact a video covering that exact topic came out a few hours prior.

5 minutes ago, Sanedish said:

Due to the original fan having an standard header, i'll assume: yes.

But i also found the original on amazon, that one could maybe cheaper than the ones you found?

The Link:

I'm from Canada, that's the .com Amazon site. I don't think I can use .com Amazon? Maybe I'm wrong. 

Edit: Also, I'm not of the opinion that the Synology fans are high quality. One of mine started to make a humming sound maybe 2 and a half years after I bought the NAS which Synology thinks might be a bearing issue. I'd imagine that Noctua makes better quality fans than Synology. But, will they work/fit properly in my NAS? I'd like to think so but I'm not 100% sure. 

4 minutes ago, Vectraat said:

I'm from Canada, that's the .com Amazon site. I don't think I can use .com Amazon? Maybe I'm wrong. 

I'm sorry, did not know that.

4 minutes ago, Vectraat said:

Also, I'm not of the opinion that the Synology fans are high quality. One of mine started to make a humming sound maybe 2 and a half years after I bought the NAS which Synology thinks might be a bearing issue. I'd imagine that Noctua makes better quality fans than Synology. But, will they work/fit properly in my NAS? I'd like to think so but I'm not 100% sure. 

Yeah, if you get propper ones they'll go for years straight while being silent as heck

6 minutes ago, Vectraat said:

'm from Canada, that's the .com Amazon site. I don't think I can use .com Amazon? Maybe I'm wrong. 

You should be able to, actually - am from France and did order some stuff on .com.

There will be higher shipping fees though.

4 hours ago, Aleph256 said:

You should be able to, actually - am from France and did order some stuff on .com.

There will be higher shipping fees though.

Ah ok. Yah, I mean the shipping could cost $50+ easily. 

4 hours ago, Sanedish said:

I'm sorry, did not know that.

Yeah, if you get propper ones they'll go for years straight while being silent as heck

Hmm, I just found a YT video with someone using those Noctua fans that I linked. But he's installing them in the DS920+ which is the model above mine. I think the enclosure should be the same as mine though. However, he said he had to remove one of the anti-vibration rubbers on one corner so that the grip would fit. So I guess It's not exactly a perfect match but close enough. These Noctua fans should be far better than the Synology ones.