Can't delete a specific folder because there's a ghost file in it?!

Formhault

Alright, so. I restored some data from my phone's SD card (viva Piriform Recuva) and moved all of the restored contents to a folder on my C:\ drive (it's on a SSD, by the way). Some files were corrupted. I was able to delete all of the unnecessary files, except for one file, namely "System Tuner " (yes, there's a blank space at the end of it, and no extension).

Every time I try to delete it, Windows says "Could not find this item". I even tried via Command Prompt.

Renaming the folder is possible. Deleting it, is not. Renaming the file inside is impossible.

I did run chkdsk /f, and that did not solve the issue. :(

I also installed FileShredder, and all it did was to rename the folder from NEWNEWNEWs to 7579461 (the same file is inside it), which, again, can't be deleted...

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

post-76761-0-17763100-1400845495.jpg

post-76761-0-17763100-1400845495.jpg

Is it plugged in? Maby its not turned on?

Desktop: CPU: I7-5820K GPU: 980Ti, 750Ti PhysX Mobo: MSI X99A SLI PLUS RAM: 4x4 Kingston DDR4 2400MHz OS: Win10
Storage: 250GB Samsung Evo, 3TB WD Black and Green FIRESTRIKE, Reason for dedicated PhysX Card.

Peripherals: Screen: 3x BenQ VZ2350 Mouse: Razer Naga Keyboard: Some Dell Thing Sound: Razer Tiamat, 5.1 Logitech Surround Speakers

spooky

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Download Take ownership

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

Is it plugged in? Maby its not turned on?

If you're referring to the drive the file is on, his OS is on the same drive. He wouldn't be able to boot into the OS if it was unplugged or off. lol <3

OP try to reboot first and see if that does anything for you. Probably won't, but worth a shot.

Next, I'd try to scan it with an antivirus and see if it detects anything weird (or detects anything at all)-- if it doesn't, honestly I don't think it'd be worth the extra time and effort to delete a file that is a) Taking up very little space b.)Not a virus or anything malicious or c) Is useless. 

//ccap

If you're referring to the drive the file is on, his OS is on the same drive. He wouldn't be able to boot into the OS if it was unplugged or off. lol <3

OP try to reboot first and see if that does anything for you. Probably won't, but worth a shot.

Next, I'd try to scan it with an antivirus and see if it detects anything weird (or detects anything at all)-- if it doesn't, honestly I don't think it'd be worth the extra time and effort to delete a file that is a) Taking up very little space b.)Not a virus or anything malicious or c) Is useless. 

no no no i was makeing a joke xD but sorry i dont know lol

Desktop: CPU: I7-5820K GPU: 980Ti, 750Ti PhysX Mobo: MSI X99A SLI PLUS RAM: 4x4 Kingston DDR4 2400MHz OS: Win10
Storage: 250GB Samsung Evo, 3TB WD Black and Green FIRESTRIKE, Reason for dedicated PhysX Card.

Peripherals: Screen: 3x BenQ VZ2350 Mouse: Razer Naga Keyboard: Some Dell Thing Sound: Razer Tiamat, 5.1 Logitech Surround Speakers

I did reboot. Otherwise I wouldn't have been able to make a chkdsk (5 steps), lol.

That doesn't work. Obviously, Windows still thinks the file is no longer there...

With that in mind... yeah... why would ANY software work? :(

Have you tried 

del /f <file name>

It should force delete it, ignoring any warnings.

There's also a program called Unlocker that could help.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

With that in mind... yeah... why would ANY software work? :(

Sadly, I don't think any software would detect it. Try scanning it for a virus and if its clean honestly I wouldn't worry too much about it. It takes up little to no space, so it shouldn't be too bothersome. 

//ccap

Have you tried 

del /f <file name>

It should force delete it, ignoring any warnings.

There's also a program called Unlocker that could help.

Have you read the OP? Have you seen the (only) attached image?

Sadly, I don't think any software would detect it. Try scanning it for a virus and if its clean honestly I wouldn't worry too much about it. It takes up little to no space, so it shouldn't be too bothersome. 

Thing is, it's on the SSD. And my Kingston V300 has TRIM disabled, as far as I know. I fear that might have something to do with it and might hurt it in time (when more stuff like this happens - if it does). :/

Have you read the OP? Have you seen the (only) attached image?

I have read the OP, but the photo never loaded over my VPN. My mistake.

Go to the directory and run

dir /x

And try using the weird file name when deleting it.

If that doesn't work, you can use a live CD (linux) and delete it through that.

EDIT: Other option is this (*warning to others* be cautioned when using the wildcard as it will delete anything in that folder )

del /f *

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

I have read the OP, but the photo never loaded over my VPN. My mistake.

Go to the directory and run

dir /x

And try using the weird file name when deleting it.

If that doesn't work, you can use a live CD (linux) and delete it through that.

EDIT: Other option is this (*warning to others* be cautioned when using the wildcard as it will delete anything in that folder )

del /f *

You mean like this?

It still doesn't work. So, the Linux option should do. But I'm a noob when it comes to Linux. :/

post-76761-0-06414700-1400876546.jpg

You mean like this?

It still doesn't work. So, the Linux option should do. But I'm a noob when it comes to Linux. :/

Hm, I'm surprised it doesn't have an 8.3 file name. Have you tried renaming the file?

Did you try the delete command with the wildcard?

15" MBP TB

Hm, I'm surprised it doesn't have an 8.3 file name. Have you tried renaming the file?

Did you try the delete command with the wildcard?

Have you tried reading the OP? Really... it's right there...

Did you see the screenshot(s) I posted? There are two in this entire topic, which I guess answers your questions. Read what cmd is saying in those pictures.

The conclusion is : Windows is unable to delete the file, as it is unable to detect the file as even existing (other than the fact that it appears in Explorer and cmd can pinpoint to it). So... I must use a Linux live CD, which I'll google for and put on a USB stick and boot from... which I was hoping you would shed some more light on.

Have you tried reading the OP? Really... it's right there...

Did you see the screenshot(s) I posted? There are two in this entire topic, which I guess answers your questions. Read what cmd is saying in those pictures.

The conclusion is : Windows is unable to delete the file, as it is unable to detect the file as even existing (other than the fact that it appears in Explorer and cmd can pinpoint to it). So... I must use a Linux live CD, which I'll google for and put on a USB stick and boot from... which I was hoping you would shed some more light on.

Sorry, I didn't see in any of your screen shots you running the "del /f *" command. When I get to my computer, I'll elaborate on using a live CD.

15" MBP TB

Sorry, I didn't see in any of your screen shots you running the "del /f *" command. When I get to my computer, I'll elaborate on using a live CD.

It's in both, lol. Thank you & looking forward to that :D

It's in both, lol. Thank you & looking forward to that :D

... Neither of them have it that command as I typed it, the * is the wildcard, it's to be used by itself, not replaced.

15" MBP TB

for stuff like this, i would get a live usb of ubuntu and delete the files/folders that way.

... Neither of them have it that command as I typed it, the * is the wildcard, it's to be used by itself, not replaced.

del /f filename

del /f * filename

Same result. The system cannot find the file specified.

for stuff like this, i would get a live usb of ubuntu and delete the files/folders that way.

Last time I tried a Linux distro on my PC, the C partition was not detected. Linux installed itself on a ext4 partition IIRC.

del /f filename

del /f * filename

Same result. The system cannot find the file specified.

The command is

del /f *

You don't put anything else.

15" MBP TB

Last time I tried a Linux distro on my PC, the C partition was not detected. Linux installed itself on a ext4 partition IIRC.

live usb is not the same as installing it on your pc. You run the entire OS off the USB.