Upgrading existing PC, keeping same motherboard

Budget (including currency): $AUD 1500-2000

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: World of Warcraft, GTA 5 (6 when it comes out), Elden Ring, 

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

I am looking to upgrade my existing PC, I'd prefer to not have to change the motherboard and existing SSD's and HDD's.

Old parts: GTX 1070, i5 9600K, 16GB memory.

I was planning to reuse my ASRock Z390 Pro4 ATX LGA1151 motherboard, 500gb Samsung 850 EVO boot drive, Samsung 840 Pro series SSD, NVME Samsung 970 SSD, 2 random 2TB HDD's, and my old Noctua CPU cooler (I think it's the NH-D14)

I was planning on buying an i7-8700K cpu, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3600 CL18 memory, Samsung Pro 2TB M.2 2280 SSD, and a PNY 4070 Super 12GB video card. I realise I won't have room for a second M.2 drive, so I was also planning on getting a PCI expansion card to accommodate it.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

for the money you are spending, you are better off selling your old motherboard, cpu, ram and getting all new with ddr5 ram and modern features

9th gen intel is quite dated now, we are up to 14th gen with significant improvements in performance

not to mention your cpu has 16 pcie lanes (so does all of 9th gen), this means currently you're nvme drive is using 4, leaving 12 but unfortunately your gpu can only use 8 (just how it works), when you upgrade that it will  decrease performance of a new gpu essentially wasting your money as new gpus are very bandwidth hungry

Furthermore you will have 0 warranty on anything 9th gen as it is all old

Recommendation:

Sell Gpu, CPU, Ram, Motherboard

Get a new GPU, CPU, Ram, Motherboard

you will not bottleneck your gpu as you will have enough pcie lanes and will get significant performance uplift from the newer tech

32 minutes ago, shaak said:

Budget (including currency): $AUD 1500-2000

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: World of Warcraft, GTA 5 (6 when it comes out), Elden Ring, 

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

I am looking to upgrade my existing PC, I'd prefer to not have to change the motherboard and existing SSD's and HDD's.

Old parts: GTX 1070, i5 9600K, 16GB memory.

I was planning to reuse my ASRock Z390 Pro4 ATX LGA1151 motherboard, 500gb Samsung 850 EVO boot drive, Samsung 840 Pro series SSD, NVME Samsung 970 SSD, 2 random 2TB HDD's, and my old Noctua CPU cooler (I think it's the NH-D14)

I was planning on buying an i7-8700K cpu, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3600 CL18 memory, Samsung Pro 2TB M.2 2280 SSD, and a PNY 4070 Super 12GB video card. I realise I won't have room for a second M.2 drive, so I was also planning on getting a PCI expansion card to accommodate it.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Yeah, you can do a lot more with that price point than buying a new cpu for a dead platform, buying a new gpu (which is basically all you can do if youre keeping everything and RAM is cheap) youll be cpu bound for a lot of things, id drop the 4070S and go for a 4070 or 7800xt and get a new mobo and cpu and you wont need to get a pcie expansion card either so put that back into the budget for core components

System specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D [-30 PBO all core]

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT NITRO+ [1050mV, 2.8GHz core, 2.6Ghz mem]

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5

Storage: 2TB SN850X, 1TB SN850 w/ heatsink, 500GB P5 Plus (OS Storage)

Case: 5000D AIRFLOW

Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140

PSU: Corsair RM850e

PCPartPicker List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QYLBh3

Will I be able to just straight swap my old boot drive and ssd's to a new mobo with no fuss?

I basically want to upgrade without having to reinstall everything, with minimal downtime.

4 minutes ago, shaak said:

Will I be able to just straight swap my old boot drive and ssd's to a new mobo with no fuss?

I basically want to upgrade without having to reinstall everything, with minimal downtime.

if youre getting a new cpu or sometimes gpu we'd generally recommend fresh installing windows (if thats what you use) regardless as itll make things run smoother, but you should be able to short term yeah

Basically when intel upgrades a socket theres a big generational leap, and the z390 chipset socket is 2 generations behind, intels next cpus will make it 3 gens behind, currently the lowest tier i3 14th gen, the 14100, is better than the highest tier i5 9th gen you have, the 9600K

System specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D [-30 PBO all core]

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT NITRO+ [1050mV, 2.8GHz core, 2.6Ghz mem]

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5

Storage: 2TB SN850X, 1TB SN850 w/ heatsink, 500GB P5 Plus (OS Storage)

Case: 5000D AIRFLOW

Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140

PSU: Corsair RM850e

PCPartPicker List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QYLBh3

Maybe the best option for you is move important files or applications off the boot drive and get another drive to install windows. 

You could prepare the new drive by installing it in the old system and installing a clean version of windows but you don't want any of the drivers or random items in your old boot drive as these can cause issues with the new hardware. 

For your cooler, remember to get the new mounting system if you go with that route. 

A CPU upgrade is a good idea tho with your budget

Alright cheers, I'll do some research and start a new topic with a new build.

Are there any suggestions on motherboards to get me started?