Jump to content

Ram keeps dying no matter what I do! HELP!

Hi All, I am having major issues with my ram that i cant seem to figure out. so about a month ago i noticed one of my modules lighting was acting up, didnt think much of it but after checking device manager, i noticed i only had half of the installed memory available. I went into the Bios, and lo and behold only one stick of ram was detected. i re seated the stick, booted back into the bois, no fix. i removed the working stick and tried booting, no post due to no memory detected. i had a different kit lying around, so i installed that one, and it was working but i had major instability issues with games constantly crashing, so i installed the one working stick from the previous kit just to keep it running while i waited for a new kit to arrive. once i got the new kit, everything worked fine, but the same issue happened within an hr, same slot as well. at that point i figured it was my motherboard, so i bought a new one, as well as a new kit of memory AGAIN to install there. after installing the new mobo and ram, i got about 2 weeks out of it, than the SAME THING HAPPENED! IN THE SAME SLOT AS WELL!. at that point i was kile it has to be the CPU, so i ordered a new one, with a new kit of ram AGAIN. got about a weekend out of the new kit and CPU, and boom, the one that died now is the other slot, i checked my old motherboard, didnt see any obvious dmg to the ram slots OR the socket, the CPU pads look all fine, same with the new MOBO and CPU, and im not crashing or anything when a stick dies, everything boots fine, i just am sick of running in single channel mode and ive spent way more money trying to fix this that i would like.

Here are the original specs

Msi z790 edge wifi, i7 13700k, 32 gb tforce delta rgb ddr5 7200mhz CL 34 (2x16), rtx 4080 and msi A850G PCIE5

here are the new specs

Asus rog Z790 A gaming wifi, i7 14700k, 64gb G.skill Flare ddr5 5600mhz CL 30 (2x32) same gpu and psu.

currently i am running the kit that was unstable in the original rig and havent tested it in a game yet but ill update here if i have more issues. as of now just basic tasks are fine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Caleb paegelow said:

Hi All, I am having major issues with my ram that i cant seem to figure out. so about a month ago i noticed one of my modules lighting was acting up, didnt think much of it but after checking device manager, i noticed i only had half of the installed memory available. I went into the Bios, and lo and behold only one stick of ram was detected. i re seated the stick, booted back into the bois, no fix. i removed the working stick and tried booting, no post due to no memory detected. i had a different kit lying around, so i installed that one, and it was working but i had major instability issues with games constantly crashing, so i installed the one working stick from the previous kit just to keep it running while i waited for a new kit to arrive. once i got the new kit, everything worked fine, but the same issue happened within an hr, same slot as well. at that point i figured it was my motherboard, so i bought a new one, as well as a new kit of memory AGAIN to install there. after installing the new mobo and ram, i got about 2 weeks out of it, than the SAME THING HAPPENED! IN THE SAME SLOT AS WELL!. at that point i was kile it has to be the CPU, so i ordered a new one, with a new kit of ram AGAIN. got about a weekend out of the new kit and CPU, and boom, the one that died now is the other slot, i checked my old motherboard, didnt see any obvious dmg to the ram slots OR the socket, the CPU pads look all fine, same with the new MOBO and CPU, and im not crashing or anything when a stick dies, everything boots fine, i just am sick of running in single channel mode and ive spent way more money trying to fix this that i would like.

Here are the original specs

Msi z790 edge wifi, i7 13700k, 32 gb tforce delta rgb ddr5 7200mhz CL 34 (2x16), rtx 4080 and msi A850G PCIE5

here are the new specs

Asus rog Z790 A gaming wifi, i7 14700k, 64gb G.skill Flare ddr5 5600mhz CL 30 (2x32) same gpu and psu.

currently i am running the kit that was unstable in the original rig and havent tested it in a game yet but ill update here if i have more issues. as of now just basic tasks are fine.

What slots are you running them in, and have you RMA'd any of these?

System specs:

 

 

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D [-30 PBO all core]

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT NITRO+ [1050mV, 2.8GHz core, 2.6Ghz mem]

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5

Storage: 2TB SN850X, 1TB SN850 w/ heatsink, 500GB P5 Plus (OS Storage)

Case: 5000D AIRFLOW

Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140

PSU: Corsair RM850e

 

PCPartPicker List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QYLBh3

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, TatamiMatt said:

What slots are you running them in, and have you RMA'd any of these?

I have not RMAd anything yet, but with this many issues I'm almost wondering if the cpu or mobo were even to blame at all as they still work perfectly fine and I'm having the same exact issue on the new mobo and CPU, and I wouldn't have even known I had an issue if I didn't check my the status of the hardware. I am running in the 2nd and 4th slot (left to right) (A2 and B2 i think) but i have tested the dead ram in all slots as well as in my ryzen system in my living room and no dice all the sticks that stopped being detected are all dead. (ryzen system has a 7600x and a 4070 with a msi mag b650 and 32 gb g.skill flare 6000 CL 30). im almost wondering if it is the PSU or a cable from the PSU.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Caleb paegelow said:

I have not RMAd anything yet, but with this many issues I'm almost wondering if the cpu or mobo were even to blame at all as they still work perfectly fine and I'm having the same exact issue on the new mobo and CPU, and I wouldn't have even known I had an issue if I didn't check my the status of the hardware. I am running in the 2nd and 4th slot (left to right) (A2 and B2 i think) but i have tested the dead ram in all slots as well as in my ryzen system in my living room and no dice all the sticks that stopped being detected are all dead. (ryzen system has a 7600x and a 4070 with a msi mag b650 and 32 gb g.skill flare 6000 CL 30). im almost wondering if it is the PSU or a cable from the PSU.

Are you using the stand offs in your case for the motherboard?

System specs:

 

 

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D [-30 PBO all core]

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT NITRO+ [1050mV, 2.8GHz core, 2.6Ghz mem]

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5

Storage: 2TB SN850X, 1TB SN850 w/ heatsink, 500GB P5 Plus (OS Storage)

Case: 5000D AIRFLOW

Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140

PSU: Corsair RM850e

 

PCPartPicker List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QYLBh3

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, TatamiMatt said:

Are you using the stand offs in your case for the motherboard?

I have an NZXT h5 flow so the standoffs are already preinstalled so yes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×