Can a motherboard function with bad MOSFETs? Also how do I make sure they're good?

Hey everyone! Need all the help I can get rn.

An aunt of mine gave me her HP all in one computer to see if I could figure out what was wrong with it. The story she told me is that she left the computer on while she went to do something on the other room and returned to find it off. When she tried to turn it on again, she was met with a "blue screen" which I now know was the windows recovery environment. She called some technicians and they took the computer in, but after their prices kept going up so she got impatient and asked for it back after paying for some rust they got off the motherboard.

What they did tell her is that they had to replace 3 bad "modules" and showed her a picture of some MOSFETs that were covered in rust. Then it got to me with no rust at all, and while I try to figure out how to make sure the MOSFETs are good (which I could also use some help on, all videos I find are a bit confusing to me ☹️ ), I wonder if the computer would even be able to function if those didn't work?

For all I know the computer could've shut down suddenly for an external reason and cause the operating system to become corrupted. All boot ups I've tried so far have lead me directly to the windows recovery environment but I haven't had it shut down on me so far. Before considering reinstalling the operating system, I wanna make sure the motherboard is fine because otherwise it might just happen again. I've had motherboards with bad capacitors that turn on and work temporarily, but this is the first time I'm looking at MOSFETs specifically. Any help would be appreciated and if anyone has any ideas on what else might have caused it to shut down, I would highly appreciate it! Sorry for the long story lol.

It's impossible for MOSFETs to have rust on them unless they came from something made from iron or steel. MOSFETs, and any surrounding components on the board do not even use iron or steel, except maybe the chokes, depending on the age, but that would only be on the outside, not the core itself, which would be using copper wire.

So basically, in my opinion, they may have been pulling her chain with those photos.

Did the technicians actually claim it was rust? Did they say where they believe it came from?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

30 minutes ago, Octillery said:

I wonder if the computer would even be able to function if those didn't work?

No. MOSFETs when dead will send 12V to the CPU, either killing the CPU or triggering OCP before the system has a chance to turn on. 

As @Godlygamer23 said though, MOSFETs don't rust. There's something else going on here.