Thoughts on cpu upgrade on same platform am5

Simply for gaming, and r5 7600 as example

It could already do very well in all games today over 100fps , what kind of "future improvements" could justify a worthy upgrade

Unlike 1st gen ryzen which could only do 70ish fps in most games and zen4 doubled more than that , current r5 cpu is already decent enough even for 4K imo 

On top of that, resale value of amd cpu were very disappointed, like I only got back a fraction selling a r7 1700 for a 5600 

The 2 cpu which costed me about 400 usd over the years

So which route will be more cost efficient in long term in 5 years ?

Mid range to mid range

Mid range to high end

High end to mid range

Or no upgrades at alland save more on lower end mobo cooler etc

Keeping your motherboard and only upgrading your CPU should generally be more cost effective than having to upgrade both.

As for when, the same logic applies as always: When the CPU no longer gives you the performance you need/want (e.g. when it is preventing your GPU from running at 100% performance)

25 minutes ago, 37748585862723896 said:

current r5 cpu is already decent enough even for 4K imo

The higher the resolution, the less important the CPU generally becomes. You need a fast CPU for high frame rates (e.g. 1080p 200+ fps), because the GPU will require new data a lot more often

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

i would get a mid range cpu now, and a high end/mid range in the future, depending on your budget, it will definitely save you money. Amd motherboards tend to last way longer than intel, you don't have to buy a high end amd motherboard for it to be future proof, a B650 will work just fine. If you buy a decent cooler, it can literally last 30+ years, so you can buy it 1 time, and don't worry about that again, especially if it's Noctua, they have been shipping free mounting kits, for over 10 year old coolers when asked, that seems like a good deal to me.

1 hour ago, 37748585862723896 said:

current r5 cpu is already decent enough even for 4K imo 

5600 is pretty good for 4K already too

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti