Using Arc a380 on x4 slot?

91Sputnik

I'm working on a Plex project with a Dell Optiplex 5080 and looking for a graphics card, the a380 seems to fit the bill. Since it's a SFF Optiplex and Dell decided to put the x16 slot below the x4 slot and the smallest a380 I can find is a dual slot (only populates one bracket but the fans take up an extra "slot") there isn't much room between the x16 slot and the power supply. I'm thinking of it doesn't fit then I might try the open ended x4 slot. Does anyone know if the x4 slot can supply enough power to the card? It's the ASRock a380 LP that's bus powered. Worse case scenario I can use a riser cable, but want to avoid it if possible.

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Motherboard MSI X570 Pro, RAM Patriot Viper Steel 3600mhz CL14 (32GB 4X8GB), GPU XFX 7900XTCase NZXT Gamma, Storage 256GB 980 Pro, 2TB 980 Pro, 8TB WD Ultrastar PSU CORSAIR RM850x, Cooling Scythe Fuma 2

CPU Ryzen 5 4650g, Motherboard/Case Asrock Deskmini A300, RAM Crucial Ballistix 3200mhz (16GB 2x8GB), GPU Vega 11, Storage XPG SX6000 256GB NVMe, 16TB Seagate Exos, Cooling Noctua NH-L9a

17 minutes ago, 91Sputnik said:

I'm working on a Plex project with a Dell Optiplex 5080 and looking for a graphics card, the a380 seems to fit the bill. Since it's a SFF Optiplex and Dell decided to put the x16 slot below the x4 slot and the smallest a380 I can find is a dual slot (only populates one bracket but the fans take up an extra "slot") there isn't much room between the x16 slot and the power supply. I'm thinking of it doesn't fit then I might try the open ended x4 slot. Does anyone know if the x4 slot can supply enough power to the card? It's the ASRock a380 LP that's bus powered. Worse case scenario I can use a riser cable, but want to avoid it if possible.

X4 and X8 slots provide 25W, x16 will give 75w. You will be short by 2/3 of the required power.

If this is for plex, is the GPU used only for transcoding?

If transcoding is your goal, I'd just use the iGPU here. Should be able to handle almost all plex transcoding needs you could have.

9 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

If this is for plex, is the GPU used only for transcoding?

If transcoding is your goal, I'd just use the iGPU here. Should be able to handle almost all plex transcoding needs you could have.

The issue is the UHD 630 doesn't support AV1 or tone mapping (Plex has released a pre beta version of Plex for Windows with tone mapping support for Intel, but it's limited to UHD 730, Xe or arc). So I figured I'd just throw in an arc.

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Motherboard MSI X570 Pro, RAM Patriot Viper Steel 3600mhz CL14 (32GB 4X8GB), GPU XFX 7900XTCase NZXT Gamma, Storage 256GB 980 Pro, 2TB 980 Pro, 8TB WD Ultrastar PSU CORSAIR RM850x, Cooling Scythe Fuma 2

CPU Ryzen 5 4650g, Motherboard/Case Asrock Deskmini A300, RAM Crucial Ballistix 3200mhz (16GB 2x8GB), GPU Vega 11, Storage XPG SX6000 256GB NVMe, 16TB Seagate Exos, Cooling Noctua NH-L9a

The PCIE lanes won't matter for the hardware encoding/transcoding I'm 99% sure.

However, why not consider the sparkle a310? It's single slot unlike the a380 and uses less power.

15 minutes ago, Brian McKee said:

However, why not consider the sparkle a310? It's single slot unlike the a380 and uses less power.

The lowest power one still exceeds the slots power.

1 minute ago, Blue4130 said:

The lowest power one still exceeds the slots power.

He can use the 16x slot with the a310, irrelevant. The a380s are all 2 slotters which is the point of contention here.

27 minutes ago, 91Sputnik said:

The issue is the UHD 630 doesn't support AV1 or tone mapping (Plex has released a pre beta version of Plex for Windows with tone mapping support for Intel, but it's limited to UHD 730, Xe or arc). So I figured I'd just throw in an arc.

Do you have AV1 media? I don't see a reason to transcode to AV1 for Plex transcode for almost all uses.

I'm pretty sure that GPU supports HDR tonemapping on hardware, I setup something pretty simmilar recently and it works fine.

1 hour ago, 91Sputnik said:

I'd just get another GPU. Entirely. If you just want video trans-coding abilities, just get one of many older GPU's that work w/o external power.  And vastly cheaper like a R7 350 If you wanna find even more GPU's w/o external power and less power consumption you can use techpowerbench database

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/?mfgr=AMD&memtype=GDDR5&powerplugs=None&sort=name

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

44 minutes ago, Brian McKee said:

I've definitely considered it, but figured for the price difference and lack of reviews for the Sparkle card other than someone reporting that the fan is really loud I would see if the a380 is doable.

21 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Do you have AV1 media? I don't see a reason to transcode to AV1 for Plex transcode for almost all uses.

I'm pretty sure that GPU supports HDR tonemapping on hardware, I setup something pretty simmilar recently and it works fine.

I have some, not a lot at the moment. It's mostly a future proofing thing and to kill two birds with one stone. If I recall correctly, the 630 might support tone mapping on Linux, but not Windows. The information available from Plex says Intel driver's don't support tone mapping on 630, has to be 730 or newer.

11 minutes ago, 91Sputnik said:

I have some, not a lot at the moment. It's mostly a future proofing thing and to kill two birds with one stone. If I recall correctly, the 630 might support tone mapping on Linux, but not Windows. The information available from Plex says Intel driver's don't support tone mapping on 630, has to be 730 or newer.

From the Plex page on it, it seems to need Kaby lake or newer, which that optiplex has. 

You can do the AV1 decoding on hardware pretty well, so I wouldn't worry about AV1

I'd just try the iGPU and see how it goes here first.

• 4 weeks later...

Decided to try out the a380 using the x4 slot and somehow (despite Pcie specs saying otherwise) it works. Power draw maxes out at about 45 watts. The card is definitely crippled in this config, but since it will be used for transcoding and not gaming I'm not worried about it. I did run time spy just to see what the numbers would look like and it got a graphics score of 3196. That's with the a380 in a x4 gen 3 slot and no rebar. This puts it more in line with the a310 which has an average score of 3133 according to 3dmark. Thought I would share this info in case someone else finds themselves in a similar albeit niche situation.

IMG_9758.png

4 hours ago, 91Sputnik said:

Decided to try out the a380 using the x4 slot and somehow (despite Pcie specs saying otherwise) it works.

Pci-e specifically says it WILL work. Pci-e is fully compatible, be it a x16 in a x1 slot or an x1 in a x16 slot. As well as forward and backwards generation compatible.

17 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

Pci-e specifically says it WILL work. Pci-e is fully compatible, be it a x16 in a x1 slot or an x1 in a x16 slot. As well as forward and backwards generation compatible.

The concern was whether or not the x4 slot would be able to provide enough power to the card as it's bus powered. Pcie x4 specs show max power output of 25 watts and the card requires 50 watts.