A couple questions about setting up a soundbar

I'm about to buy a soundbar for my old LG Oled C7.

I have an android tv box (from my net/tv provider) connected to the TV. I use it for sports and sometimes the news... But my main use of the TV is when I use the USB connection for an external drive with movies and tv series. I don't think I would benefit from connecting the tv box to the soundbar, so I'm thinking about connecting it directly to the TV.

Is this the right choice? Is there any negatives about setting up that way?

When I watch sports this way will it sound worse than if I had the tv box connect to the soundbar? If so, how worse/what's the difference?

If I connect the tv box to the soundbar, then the TV HDMI will be in the output connection of the soundbar. If i try to watch a movie from the TVs usB or if I use the youtube app of the TV, will I hear it in the soundbar or just the TV's speakers?

Sorry for the newbie questions.

The soundbar I'm pondering to buy is the samsung's hw-q990c, which has a 42% discount now, so I would like to make a decision today.

Thanks for your help.

33 minutes ago, AngeloB said:

I'm about to buy a soundbar for my old LG Oled C7.

I have an android tv box (from my net/tv provider) connected to the TV. I use it for sports and sometimes the news... But my main use of the TV is when I use the USB connection for an external drive with movies and tv series. I don't think I would benefit from connecting the tv box to the soundbar, so I'm thinking about connecting it directly to the TV.

Is this the right choice? Is there any negatives about setting up that way?

When I watch sports this way will it sound worse than if I had the tv box connect to the soundbar? If so, how worse/what's the difference?

If I connect the tv box to the soundbar, then the TV HDMI will be in the output connection of the soundbar. If i try to watch a movie from the TVs usB or if I use the youtube app of the TV, will I hear it in the soundbar or just the TV's speakers?

Sorry for the newbie questions.

The soundbar I'm pondering to buy is the samsung's hw-q990c, which has a 42% discount now, so I would like to make a decision today.

Thanks for your help.

Via the TV you will use the ARC port (or eARC). All audio, wether you use a tv box, gaming console, usb,... will pass through the ARC port to your soundbar if it's connected. A decent soundbar (if not all) will also automatically power on when the TV powers on. I always advise to use the ARC port if you TV has it.

42 minutes ago, Naijin said:

Via the TV you will use the ARC port (or eARC). All audio, wether you use a tv box, gaming console, usb,... will pass through the ARC port to your soundbar if it's connected. A decent soundbar (if not all) will also automatically power on when the TV powers on. I always advise to use the ARC port if you TV has it.

Thanks for the help. So with the ARC/eARC HDMI, the signal is bidirectional. eARC, as a quick search tells me, also allows a bigger bandwidth. 

This raises one more question: my LG Oled is old, I'm not home to verify, but I think it has HDMI ARC not eARC. Does that limit the Dolby Atmos or the 11.1.4 channels capabilities of the soundbar?

26 minutes ago, AngeloB said:

Thanks for the help. So with the ARC/eARC HDMI, the signal is bidirectional. eARC, as a quick search tells me, also allows a bigger bandwidth. 

This raises one more question: my LG Oled is old, I'm not home to verify, but I think it has HDMI ARC not eARC. Does that limit the Dolby Atmos or the 11.1.4 channels capabilities of the soundbar?

ARC supports compressed 5.1, but generally, the 11.1.4 soundbar (which I even never heard of existed) will basically process the audio itself and use whatever speaker it thinks is better. It will work just fine and give you a surround experience with ARC, even optical, but never true uncompressed. The soundbar you are looking at is basically just 5.1 with its own (virtual) surround speakers that make it 11.1.4 channel.

I wouldn't worry too much about those channels or ARC, it will work 🙂

(My parents use a Sonos Playbar and 2 ONE SL speakers for surround, works just fine through optical)

See this picture for a comparison of ARC and eARC:

DLhSzp3ad5vzgn9TNWCYGJ-970-80.jpg.webp