Random BSOD for no reason

SlaapkopAmy

Hi there,

I am in need of some assistance since I pretty much do not know anymore at this point what the issue is with my custom build pc.

I build my pc 4 years ago ish and upgraded parts on the way also changed out parts due the same blue screens of death i am experiencing since like 2021 but it's really touch and go situation.

It some times just crash and reboots my pc when i am just idling doing nothing or typing a post and sometimes it just while gaming. You would directly think oh it's probably overheating or something very small... But I wish that was the case.

- OS: Windows 11 pro (Started with Windows 10 pro but reinstalled freshly like 10 times now and on 11.)

- 64 bit

- The OS is activated with a retail license key, i made the bootable usb via the windows media creation tool

- the age of the system is hard to say since i switched out a lot of parts. But between 1 to 4 years (will put the year / month of the parts later in the hardware list)

- the current age of the OS is around 6 months old if im correct. (the last time i freshly reinstalled)

Hardware list:

- CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x (purchased may 2020)
- GPU MSI RTX 4070 TI (Purchased may 2023)
- Old GPU: AMD Radeon RX 5700 from asrock (Purchased may 2020)

- Motherboard: MSI MPG B550 Gaming Edge wifi (Purchased february 2022)
- Old motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk max (Purchased may 2020)

- Cpu cooler: Bequiet dark rock 4 (purchased may 2022)

- PSU: Bequiet pure power 12M 1000W (purchased July 2023)
- Old PSU: Seasonic GX-650 (600W) (Purchased may 2020)

- RAM: 4 sticks of 16gb corsair ddr4 vengeance lpx modules (3600mhz) (Purchased july 2023)
- old RAM: 4 sticks of 8gb ^ same as above (Purchased may 2020)

You probably can guess that I did a lot of troubleshooting and went a head of all steps by now as in updating drivers, running memory checks, changing out parts even tho it's very expensive. only need to change out the cpu and I basically build a new pc...

My temp's are normal, monitoring it daily with hardware info program, it's overal strange why it's behaving like this.

I don't have my pc overclocked on any stuff like that even turned on. Turned also smart accessing memory off in the bios for my motherboard because people told me it was memory related.. meanwhile still having the issues with new sticks of ram modules...

The blue screen of death error code:

irql_not_less_or_equal

The one who is causing issues: ntoskrnl.exe

here is the link of the data collection zip: https://drive.google.com/file/d/16Gp6xgBCXlyzhpeFpzUvlPDNrFe_LmHe/view?usp=drive_link (new collection)

I tried to run performance monitor report but for some reason it doesn't create the report at all or takes like forever.. 

So I am open for any suggestions.

IMG_20230704_130955.jpg

G2ZGVlbZI3uXqRViHCne.png

by the looks of it you swapped out everything except the cpu..... could the cpu be the faulty part?.. 

yes that error is usually memory instability, but sometimes just cpu instability.
if you have change the motherboard, ram, gpu, ect, and are not overclocking, then that cpu is busted.
you could try bumping up the voltages +100mv on both vcore and the memory controller and see if the problem goes away.
or just change the cpu out, but ehh another 1-200$ I'd try the voltage increase first
nice flag 🙂

With the amount of fresh installs you have done, that would rule out software, you have also replaced everysingle component besides the CPU, if it were me, next step would be to try a different CPU. Also, just out of curiosity, are the four module ram kits you have been using quad kits from the factory? Or were they two kits of two modules you combined together to equal four modules?

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

20 minutes ago, SlaapkopAmy said:

irql_not_less_or_equal

99.99999% ram issue 

21 minutes ago, SlaapkopAmy said:

RAM: 4 sticks of 16gb corsair ddr4 vengeance lpx modules (3600mhz)
- old RAM: 4 sticks of 8gb ^

this is your whole issue the whole time.

get trident Z, 2 sticks only (*has* to be a kit)

reset CMOS before booting the pc with the new ram. enjoy. 

as for why why why: ryzen 3000 series hates 4 sticks of ram and especially corsair vengeance lpx. its a very well known issue. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

24 minutes ago, SlaapkopAmy said:

It some times just crash and reboots my pc when i am just idling doing nothing or typing a post and sometimes it just while gaming. You would directly think oh it's probably overheating or something very small... But I wish that was the case.

Ryzen CPUs that are unstable at idle is not super uncommon, I've seen a fair few threads from Zen 2&3 CPUs that were sent for RMA and it fixed the problem.

It could be mitigated by disabling C-States, setting a fixed clock, a positive curve (effectively an overvolt) or a voltage offset.

There have also been issues with older motherboards (B350/B450) not supplying enough volts at idle, with the newer CPUs.

3 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

as for why why why: ryzen 3000 series hates 4 sticks of ram and especially corsair vengeance lpx. its a very well known issue. 

Would this still apply if the OP is running them at 2133? 4 sticks of 16GB @ 3600, that's waaaay optimistic with Zen 2, obviously (LPX or not), but from the screenshot I think XMP is disabled.

17 minutes ago, Tetras said:

Would this still apply if the OP is running them at 2133? 4 sticks of 16GB @ 3600, that's waaaay optimistic with Zen 2, obviously (LPX or not), but from the screenshot I think XMP is disabled.

likely, its ultimately a bios / compatibility issue and yes 4 sticks is just a very bad idea on this system - can it work? yeah, sure with a lot of tinkering and it may never be fully stable either way.

its a very easy "fix" in all likelihood,  get better ram*, make sure everything is up to date, reset CMOS, just to be sure...

and im suggesting trident Z (if they're on the QVL) because they simply seem to have the least issues and are kinda "it just works" ram. (ideally b-dies,  but also otherwise) 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

53 minutes ago, SlaapkopAmy said:

Hi there,

I am in need of some assistance since I pretty much do not know anymore at this point what the issue is with my custom build pc.

I build my pc 4 years ago ish and upgraded parts on the way also changed out parts due the same blue screens of death i am experiencing since like 2021 but it's really touch and go situation.

- OS: Windows 11 pro (Started with Windows 10 pro but reinstalled freshly like 10 times now and on 11.)

- 64 bit

- The OS is activated with a retail license key, i made the bootable usb via the windows media creation tool

- the age of the system is hard to say since i switched out a lot of parts. But between 1 to 4 years (will put the year / month of the parts later in the hardware list)

- the current age of the OS is around 6 months old if im correct. (the last time i freshly reinstalled)

Hardware list:

- CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x (purchased may 2020)
- GPU MSI RTX 4070 TI (Purchased may 2023)
- Old GPU: AMD Radeon RX 5700 from asrock (Purchased may 2020)

- Motherboard: MSI MPG B550 Gaming Edge wifi (Purchased february 2022)
- Old motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk max (Purchased may 2020)

- Cpu cooler: Bequiet dark rock 4 (purchased may 2022)

- PSU: Bequiet pure power 12M 1000W (purchased July 2023)
- Old PSU: Seasonic GX-650 (600W) (Purchased may 2020)

- RAM: 4 sticks of 16gb corsair ddr4 vengeance lpx modules (3600mhz)
- old RAM: 4 sticks of 8gb ^ same as above

You probably can guess that I did a lot of troubleshooting and went a head of all steps by now as in updating drivers, running memory checks, changing out parts even tho it's very expensive. only need to change out the cpu and I basically build a new pc...

My temp's are normal, monitoring it daily with hardware info program, it's overal strange why it's behaving like this.

I don't have my pc overclocked on any stuff like that even turned on. Turned also smart accessing memory off in the bios for my motherboard because people told me it was memory related.. meanwhile still having the issues with new sticks of ram modules...

irql_not_less_or_equal

The one who is causing issues: ntoskrnl.exe

here is the link of the data collection zip: https://drive.google.com/file/d/166Rq5ZIC0pQvfd5-lg_pSFoRAkjDjDoH/view?usp=drive_link

I tried to run performance monitor report but for some reason it doesn't create the report at all or takes like forever.. 

So I am open for any suggestions.

IMG_20230704_130955.jpg

G2ZGVlbZI3uXqRViHCne.png

Why is your FCLK only 1200MHz? Isn't default 1600MHz for Ryzen 3000?

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

59 minutes ago, Robchil said:

by the looks of it you swapped out everything except the cpu..... could the cpu be the faulty part?.. 

it could be, to swap that out is another 400 ish euro charge and i don't have that money laying around

53 minutes ago, OhYou_ said:

yes that error is usually memory instability, but sometimes just cpu instability.
if you have change the motherboard, ram, gpu, ect, and are not overclocking, then that cpu is busted.
you could try bumping up the voltages +100mv on both vcore and the memory controller and see if the problem goes away.
or just change the cpu out, but ehh another 1-200$ I'd try the voltage increase first
nice flag 🙂

I have no clue how to even bump up voltages, it's the reason why everything what has to do with overclocking is turned off

54 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

With the amount of fresh installs you have done, that would rule out software, you have also replaced everysingle component besides the CPU, if it were me, next step would be to try a different CPU. Also, just out of curiosity, are the four module ram kits you have been using quad kits from the factory? Or were they two kits of two modules you combined together to equal four modules?

yes they were always 4 sticks of ram from the first time i build it

24 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

likely, its ultimately a bios / compatibility issue and yes 4 sticks is just a very bad idea on this system - can it work? yeah, sure with a lot of tinkering and it may never be fully stable either way.

its a very easy "fix" in all likelihood,  get better ram*, make sure everything is up to date, reset CMOS, just to be sure...

and im suggesting trident Z (if they're on the QVL) because they simply seem to have the least issues and are kinda "it just works" ram. (ideally b-dies,  but also otherwise) 

why should i change it out to that kind of brand? and why should i only run 2 sticks? isn't it that very hard to run 2 sticks of 32gb?

46 minutes ago, Tetras said:

Ryzen CPUs that are unstable at idle is not super uncommon, I've seen a fair few threads from Zen 2&3 CPUs that were sent for RMA and it fixed the problem.

It could be mitigated by disabling C-States, setting a fixed clock, a positive curve (effectively an overvolt) or a voltage offset.

There have also been issues with older motherboards (B350/B450) not supplying enough volts at idle, with the newer CPUs.

XMP is indeed disabled, I don't really need it either way

22 minutes ago, Agall said:

Why is your FCLK only 1200MHz? Isn't default 1600MHz for Ryzen 3000?

I have no clue what that even mean, so no idea why it's on 1200MHz instead of 1600MHz

well a free test is to take out two sticks of ram and see if the problem goes away.

6 minutes ago, SlaapkopAmy said:

I have no clue what that even mean, so no idea why it's on 1200MHz instead of 1600MHz

Ryzen 3000 wants FCLK:MCLK:UCLK all 1:1:1, being default at 1600MHz. RAM speeds as listed are technically 'half' because its actually MT/sec and not MHz for how its listed in Windows and on the stickers. Its just easier for them to say it that way even though its not accurate. 

AKA if your RAM is at the default 2133MT/sec its running the MCLK at 1066MHz. If your FCLK is at 1200MHz, MCLK and UCLK at 1066MHz, then I could see instability. It ideally runs at either 1600MHz 1:1:1 or 1800MHz for stability and performance. 

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

47 minutes ago, SlaapkopAmy said:

why should i change it out to that kind of brand? and why should i only run 2 sticks? isn't it that very hard to run 2 sticks of 32gb?

man is having issues since half a decade and is asking why the fix would ever work.

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

as for why why why: ryzen 3000 series hates 4 sticks of ram and especially corsair vengeance lpx. its a very well known issue

i can't really explain it any better, but as said, in all likelihood this is the fix,  you wanna fix it or nah, not really on me to decide, i can only tell you the way, but you gotta walk it on your own.

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

44 minutes ago, SlaapkopAmy said:

What Mark said about LPX & Ryzen has been known on tech forums for quite some time.

I don't know why exactly, maybe the memory chips used, though not everyone has problems and Corsair now do a kit of LPX specifically for Ryzen, so I suspect the issue mainly applies to older LPX kits. If there's a second hand store near you, try buying an old stick of ddr4 without heatsinks, like 8GB of 2133/2400 by Crucial or Kingston. It shouldn't cost much.

48 minutes ago, SlaapkopAmy said:

XMP is indeed disabled, I don't really need it either way

Cool, I wouldn't expect your CPU's memory controller to poop out at 2133.

49 minutes ago, SlaapkopAmy said:

why should i only run 2 sticks? isn't it that very hard to run 2 sticks of 32gb?

It depends. AMD's official spec derates the memory controller a lot more for 4 sticks (single or dual rank) than they do for 2 sticks. Dual rank is definitely more difficult to run, though I'd say that most 16GB sticks on the market are now single rank, while 32GB sticks are always dual rank.

If you do run 4, they usually need more voltage to the CPU's memory controller and the memory, than what 2 sticks would need, but it depends on the speed.

Looking at the dump files, this doesn't look like the RAM or CPU. It's a page fault (A page is a section of memory) so it's not impossible, but if RAM or the CPU has issues, it's basically random which process' data it messes up. In every single crash, the same driver is issuing the same command. 

The driver that causes the issue here is afd.sys which is the Ancillary Function Driver. It's responsible for the network DHCP and does a lot with Winsock. Fair warning, afd.sys does show up in weird circumstances sometimes so I can't be sure it's actually useful here. Though in those cases it's usually not the only driver mentioned over this many dump files.  

In the BIOS (Settings → Advanced → Integrated Peripherals), could you try disabling the WiFi if you use WiFi and Ethernet (LAN) if you use Ethernet? Use the other one while testing. Of course it could be third party software interfering as well so if you have any networking tools installed then try disabling/uninstalling them. Be that monitoring, firewalls or even antiviruses. Also look for any utility software from the motherboard vendor that could interfere with networking like cFosSpeed, TurboLAN, etc. I just see MCI Center on the utility list on the board web page, but I have no idea what that tool might install. 

The above section, tackle that in any order you want. It's basically me just dumping my thoughts into a paragraph without much reasoning with regards to what order to do things in. 

12 hours ago, Bjoolz said:

Looking at the dump files, this doesn't look like the RAM or CPU. It's a page fault (A page is a section of memory) so it's not impossible, but if RAM or the CPU has issues, it's basically random which process' data it messes up

from having this issue for years (until i finally upgraded to the trident Z b-dies) not really. 

error 99% of the time was "WHEA" pointing to a "Nvidia" device... yeah, turns out it was still just bad RAM lol...

why and how this works: certain calls will always make use of the same parts of the RAM and thus trigger the error,  its ultimately a "driver" error for the OS, it's just triggerd by bad RAM and it has no way of knowing this. 

That's also why sometimes RAM / CPU errors always appear in the same parts of certain games/applications...

for humans it somehow looks random "why this game and not the other" but in reality it's not random *at all*. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

18 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

from having this issue for years (until i finally upgraded to the trident Z b-dies) not really. 

error 99% of the time was "WHEA" pointing to a "Nvidia" device... yeah, turns out it was still just bad RAM lol...

why and how this works: certain calls will always make use of the same parts of the RAM and thus trigger the error,  its ultimately a "driver" error for the OS, it's just triggerd by bad RAM and it has no way of knowing this. 

That's also why sometimes RAM / CPU errors always appear in the same parts of certain games/applications...

for humans it somehow looks random "why this game and not the other" but in reality it's not random *at all*. 

It's a bit too much of a coincidence for me when that command is checking if the network card is timing out. 

That being said, afd.sys is a stupid driver that shows up in weird places. 

On 2/28/2024 at 6:03 AM, Bjoolz said:

Looking at the dump files, this doesn't look like the RAM or CPU. It's a page fault (A page is a section of memory) so it's not impossible, but if RAM or the CPU has issues, it's basically random which process' data it messes up. In every single crash, the same driver is issuing the same command. 

The driver that causes the issue here is afd.sys which is the Ancillary Function Driver. It's responsible for the network DHCP and does a lot with Winsock. Fair warning, afd.sys does show up in weird circumstances sometimes so I can't be sure it's actually useful here. Though in those cases it's usually not the only driver mentioned over this many dump files.  

In the BIOS (Settings → Advanced → Integrated Peripherals), could you try disabling the WiFi if you use WiFi and Ethernet (LAN) if you use Ethernet? Use the other one while testing. Of course it could be third party software interfering as well so if you have any networking tools installed then try disabling/uninstalling them. Be that monitoring, firewalls or even antiviruses. Also look for any utility software from the motherboard vendor that could interfere with networking like cFosSpeed, TurboLAN, etc. I just see MCI Center on the utility list on the board web page, but I have no idea what that tool might install. 

The above section, tackle that in any order you want. It's basically me just dumping my thoughts into a paragraph without much reasoning with regards to what order to do things in. 

I use mostly only ethernet, sometimes i am on the wifi but my wifi at home is not really useable due concrete walls.
for so far i know there is no 3rd party programs or utility software installed, even msi center didn't make it on my pc. unless windows installed something via their updates without me knowing is pretty much hard to check if you don't know where or what to look for..
I do have some elgato keylights hooked up on my pc (wirelessly) but i doubt that will cause those issues?
(just my thoughts)

20 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

in this case it is very random.

Also I don't think a batch of 4x16gb sticks from last july will cause the same kind of issues people having in 2019 and before that? If i could trigger the bsod myself then troubleshooting would be go much easier. between last july and last month the crashes where minimal to like once a week, but since 1.5 weeks ago the crashes where like constant daily where sometimes its just 5 times in a row on one day doing shit what while 10 other people i know with the same parts but other software doesn't have the same problem... Do you still think it's bad ram then?

Just smash another 200 euros over the counter for some other branded ram modules and wait a month to see if it crashes again...

and to be clear what i mean with random:

Checking my email in browser / via outlook: crash just instant in 3 seconds poof

watching a youtube video / twitch stream: Crash

watching a tv show: crash

playing vanilla minecraft: crash

sitting in a discord call: crash

playing a random game: crash

starting up my pc for the first time in the day and i take my time to login to windows: crash

and so we can go on the list knowing that sometimes it just works and sometimes it just doesn't work, freshly reinstalling windows, clearing cmos, putting in new ram, putting in new power supply, putting in new cooler / new bootdrive and so on, nothing seems to work and it always give me the same bsod error. Asking around, googling, researching nothing indicates or better say of the 50 people i asked no one said it could be just the corsair brand sticks. I hope you understand that i can't throw random money and try things out to see if it's fixed or not since i cannot trigger the issue.

Currently I have cleared my CMOS and my bios is as default as possible right now (disabled the msi center install).

I also put in a new system collection zip in the original post. (I might have done an oopsie with the old one and included some sensitive data for on the internet...)

Please keep in mind everything with overclocking, under volting and whatever in that matter is just chinese for me and I won't understand any word for it, it even fries my brain.

1 hour ago, SlaapkopAmy said:

I do have some elgato keylights hooked up on my pc (wirelessly) but i doubt that will cause those issues?

I don't think so.