Trouble installing OS HDD and SSD not detected.

SexyKat4
Go to solution Solved by SexyKat4,

Hi All so it ended up being Intel VMD that had to be disabled in the BIOS 馃檪

Hi All,

I am trying to reinstall windows on a lenovo Ideapad 3. I inserted a windows 11 install usb and the drives were not detected by the installer. I then proceeded to format the disks to ntfs using diskpart. The issue I have now is that the installer does not detect the drives and suddenly diskpart also does not detect the drives. It only picks up the usb that windows is on. The bios picks up both the nvme ssd and the hdd, but other than that nothing.

Please any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Regards

There's a few things that can cause issues:

- If they are formatted to GPT or MBR. You need GPT for UEFI mode (CSM disabled in the BIOS) and so far as I'm aware, Windows 11 only supports installing to GPT in UEFI mode.

- Secure boot enabled or disabled.

- RAID mode enabled or disabled (probably not an issue with a laptop).

14 minutes ago, SexyKat4 said:

Hi All,

I am trying to reinstall windows on a lenovo Ideapad 3. I inserted a windows 11 install usb and the drives were not detected by the installer. I then proceeded to format the disks to ntfs using diskpart. The issue I have now is that the installer does not detect the drives and suddenly diskpart also does not detect the drives. It only picks up the usb that windows is on. The bios picks up both the nvme ssd and the hdd, but other than that nothing.

Please any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Regards

It's possible that the Windows 11 installer might be missing some storage drivers required for detecting your drive. To resolve this issue, Download the necessary storage drivers Visit the Lenovo support https://support.lenovo.com Search for your specific Lenovo Ideapad 3 model e.g., Ideapad 3. Go to the Drivers and Software section and locate the "Storage" or "Chipset" category. Download the latest storage drivers for your device. These may include Intel Rapid Storage Technology (RST) drivers or AMD RAID drivers, depending on your laptop's configuration.

Save the downloaded driver files to your Windows 11 installation USB drive.

Modify the Windows installer to include the drivers:* On a separate working computer, insert your Windows 11 installation USB drive.

Create a new folder named "Drivers" in the root directory of the USB drive.

Extract the downloaded storage drivers into the "Drivers" folder. If the drivers are in an .exe format, double-click the file and extract the contents to the folder.

If there is a .inf file among the extracted driver files, copy that to the root directory of the USB drive as well. Load drivers during the installation process. Boot your Lenovo Ideapad 3 using the Windows 11 installation USB drive.

When you reach the disk selection screen where you can't see your drives, click Load driver or Install driver. Browse to the location of the storage drivers on your USB drive (e.g., D:\Drivers or D:\, depending on where you saved them). Select the appropriate driver (.inf file) and click "Open" or "OK" to load it. After loading the driver, you should now see your drive in the drive selection list.Continue with the Windows installation process as usual.

If the above steps don't work, try resetting the BIOS settings to default on your Lenovo Ideapad 3. This can help resolve any conflicts or misconfigurations that might prevent the drives from being detected.

Hi All so it ended up being Intel VMD that had to be disabled in the BIOS 馃檪