Jump to content

Looking for Basic cooler & power supply for NAS Server

Country: United States

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: NAS, mostly plex streaming (hence the GTX 1650 for transcoding) and some virtual machines

 

relevant pcpartpicker link: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/rhZT34

 

I've upgraded my gaming pc to AM5, and will be installing that soon, but I wanted to dissect some of my old PC parts to make a NAS for multiple purposes. The above pcpartpicker link shows my current options (some already purchased as noted) but I have three things I have to still buy, a CPU cooler, a Case, and a Power supply.

 

I've already spent ~$1100 USD on the rest of the build, and I wanted to see if there were equally worthwhile PC parts that would be cheaper. I might be able to get the H510 second-hand at a good offer, but I need a backup choice just in case.

 

I wanted to get a second opinion on here first though.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

You don't need expensive parts for a NAS machine really.  PSU, CPU cooler and Case can be cheaper by far...

You can get cheaper end stuff here. Bold stuff is things I changed If anything if you're running Virtual Machines you wanna get 32GB of RAM or even more 64GB. Depending on which Virtual Machines you're running. Remember when you give up some RAM for VM, you also remove that usage from the primary machine.

 

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/TzxJ28

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  (Purchased For $0.00)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Spectrum V3 71.93 CFM CPU Cooler  ($25.98 @ Newegg)

Motherboard: MSI X570-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $0.00)
Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($0.00)

Video Card: Gigabyte D6 OC Rev 2.0 GeForce GTX 1650 G6 4 GB Video Card  (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Fractal Design Focus G ATX Mid Tower Case  ($46.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 600 W1 600 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  ($57.97 @ Amazon)

Total: $130.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-02-25 22:25 EST-0500

14 minutes ago, VicksForWindows said:

SNIP

 

 

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm running a Noctua NH-U12S in my home server due to noise concerns, but it's a solid cooler for the price. It's a smaller cooler than a D15, but it keeps my Xeon E5-2690v4 cool without making much noise.

 

If you can, I'd highly recommend a Fractal Design case. My server is in a Define R5, and that also does a lot of work to keep noise levels down.

 

51 minutes ago, SImoHayha said:

if you're running Virtual Machines you wanna get 32GB of RAM or even more 64GB. Depending on which Virtual Machines you're running. Remember when you give up some RAM for VM, you also remove that usage from the primary machine.

Agreed on 32 or 64GB, but the RAM usage part isn't true for all hypervisors. Some of them will allocate RAM to virtual machines, but the RAM stays free in the system until the virtual machine uses all of it -- for example, my Ubuntu Server VM in my Proxmox install has 8GB of RAM allocated to it, but only uses 1-2GB at a time, and the system's total RAM usage will reflect the 1-2GB, not the full 8GB I have allocated.

 

ZFS loves to have RAM though, so I would definitely recommend having more if you plan to run a ZFS setup in any way, either via Proxmox, TrueNAS, or anything else that uses ZFS.

In all honesty, DDR4 is fairly cheap, I don't see much reason to not go 64GB and have all the overhead you could realistically need or want in a home server, with regards to RAM.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SImoHayha said:

You don't need expensive parts for a NAS machine really.  PSU, CPU cooler and Case can be cheaper by far...

You can get cheaper end stuff here. Bold stuff is things I changed If anything if you're running Virtual Machines you wanna get 32GB of RAM or even more 64GB. Depending on which Virtual Machines you're running. Remember when you give up some RAM for VM, you also remove that usage from the primary machine.

 

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/TzxJ28

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  (Purchased For $0.00)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Spectrum V3 71.93 CFM CPU Cooler  ($25.98 @ Newegg)

Motherboard: MSI X570-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $0.00)
Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($0.00)

Video Card: Gigabyte D6 OC Rev 2.0 GeForce GTX 1650 G6 4 GB Video Card  (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Fractal Design Focus G ATX Mid Tower Case  ($46.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 600 W1 600 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  ($57.97 @ Amazon)

Total: $130.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-02-25 22:25 EST-0500

 

Thank you for this list. I should clarify slightly.

 

I did not spend $1100 on the nas itself, rather it was mostly on the upgrade of my gaming pc, which left behind the parts for the nas. apologies if i caused confusion.

 

Thank you for the note on the ram. I will keep it in the back of my mind but that might be more of a future upgrade. I think my use case for the system will be something like this

 

Plex, NAS, and Tailscale, and mostly having a virtual machine running windows server so i can experiment more with the quirks of the OS. (running DNS, or DHCP, or even routing, or maybe active directory so i can try out the features of windows server) but I dont imagine any more then 5 devices will be connected to that at a time so even if i allotted four cores to that "router" I would probably be fine...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I'm running a Noctua NH-U12S in my home server due to noise concerns, but it's a solid cooler for the price. It's a smaller cooler than a D15, but it keeps my Xeon E5-2690v4 cool without making much noise.

 

If you can, I'd highly recommend a Fractal Design case. My server is in a Define R5, and that also does a lot of work to keep noise levels down.

 

Agreed on 32 or 64GB, but the RAM usage part isn't true for all hypervisors. Some of them will allocate RAM to virtual machines, but the RAM stays free in the system until the virtual machine uses all of it -- for example, my Ubuntu Server VM in my Proxmox install has 8GB of RAM allocated to it, but only uses 1-2GB at a time, and the system's total RAM usage will reflect the 1-2GB, not the full 8GB I have allocated.

 

ZFS loves to have RAM though, so I would definitely recommend having more if you plan to run a ZFS setup in any way, either via Proxmox, TrueNAS, or anything else that uses ZFS.

In all honesty, DDR4 is fairly cheap, I don't see much reason to not go 64GB and have all the overhead you could realistically need or want in a home server, with regards to RAM.

I've responded to an earlier reply with some possibly needed clarification.

 

I'm curious, what use cases do you use your Server for and how much ram do you have in it? I can't imagine myself using that much ram but i will definitely consider it just in case @Crunchy Dragon

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, VicksForWindows said:

I've responded to an earlier reply with some possibly needed clarification.

 

I'm curious, what use cases do you use your Server for and how much ram do you have in it? I can't imagine myself using that much ram but i will definitely consider it just in case @Crunchy Dragon

At the moment, I'm just running a really basic setup in terms of software, with plans to expand in the future as time and money allow for it. I originally built it as a playground for different operating systems so I could get more hands-on experience with Linux in particular. I'm running a simple Proxmox install, which is hosting an Ubuntu Server 22.04 that runs Docker via Portainer, and I'm running a Pihole server within that. Down the road, I have plans to set up Tailscale, Jellyfin, and TrueNAS. I may look into hosting a small Minecraft server as well.

 

In terms of hardware, what I'm running is way overkill for the tasks my server performs; I've got a Xeon E5-2690v4(14 cores, 28 threads) paired with 64GB(4x16GB) of DDR4-2666, and a pair of WD Blue 1TB SSDs in a ZFS RAID1.

 

Honestly if you want to save money, I would say to just send it, throw Proxmox onto your old gaming PC, and learn how to do stuff with that, then worry more about swapping parts out as the need for changes becomes more apparent.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×