VGA light on motherboard and no post. Switched from NVIDIA to AMD gpu.

Hi everyone,

System specs :
CPU : i5 10400
GPU : switched from GTX 1060 3GB to rx 6600 8GB
MOBO : Gigabytye Aorus B560M ELITE
PSU : switch from a random 500w old PSU to MSI MAG A550BN PSU
Ram : 16gb 2x8 Corsair vengeance pro rgb 3600mhz

I decided to switch from my old GTX 1060 3GB to a new RX 6600. I switched them initially and forgot to do a DDU (I’m stupid, I know), and I installed the new gpu into the same PCIE slot as my old gpu. Booted perfectly, using HDMI port on the GPU. Installed new AMD drivers, and everything was registering. Decided to do a quick restart, and a windows update started. Got to 100%, and black screened for about 20 mins, then I turned it off and on again. No post and troubleshooting light switching from CPU to DRAM periodically, whilst turning on and off. Removed a ram stick, and then stuck on VGA light.
What I’ve tried:

Using different RAM kit with multiple configurations.
Changed PSU from my 8 year old PSU to a new one
Reset CMOS about 5 times now
Updated BIOS using a usb

I can get it to boot and post, if I plug the HDMI cable into the motherboard. This way I’m using intel graphics, and the card isn’t recognised in the bios etc.
I can also get it to boot by using my second PCIE slot (PCIE X4, so slower I think) and it all works fine with no red troubleshooting lights.

when I did get it to boot, I did a full DDU (going into safe mode etc.) and this didn’t seem to fix it.
I think my first PCIE slot might be broken somehow but I really don’t know. If anyone has any suggestions, I will be really happy. Thanks!

23 minutes ago, CrustyToe_ said:

Hi everyone,

System specs :
CPU : i5 10400
GPU : switched from GTX 1060 3GB to rx 6600 8GB
MOBO : Gigabytye Aorus B560M ELITE
PSU : switch from a random 500w old PSU to MSI MAG A550BN PSU
Ram : 16gb 2x8 Corsair vengeance pro rgb 3600mhz

I decided to switch from my old GTX 1060 3GB to a new RX 6600. I switched them initially and forgot to do a DDU (I’m stupid, I know), and I installed the new gpu into the same PCIE slot as my old gpu. Booted perfectly, using HDMI port on the GPU. Installed new AMD drivers, and everything was registering. Decided to do a quick restart, and a windows update started. Got to 100%, and black screened for about 20 mins, then I turned it off and on again. No post and troubleshooting light switching from CPU to DRAM periodically, whilst turning on and off. Removed a ram stick, and then stuck on VGA light.
What I’ve tried:

Using different RAM kit with multiple configurations.
Changed PSU from my 8 year old PSU to a new one
Reset CMOS about 5 times now
Updated BIOS using a usb

I can get it to boot and post, if I plug the HDMI cable into the motherboard. This way I’m using intel graphics, and the card isn’t recognised in the bios etc.
I can also get it to boot by using my second PCIE slot (PCIE X4, so slower I think) and it all works fine with no red troubleshooting lights.

when I did get it to boot, I did a full DDU (going into safe mode etc.) and this didn’t seem to fix it.
I think my first PCIE slot might be broken somehow but I really don’t know. If anyone has any suggestions, I will be really happy. Thanks!

All the things you did should have resulted in the PC booting. I would try clearing CMOS and installing the card again.

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

1 hour ago, ki8aras said:

take out the 6600, put in the 1060 and see what happens

Installed the 1060 3gb. Works flawlessly, and is registering in the BIOS. It’s weird though as the Rx 6600 is registering in the second slot, just not the first slot.

49 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

All the things you did should have resulted in the PC booting. I would try clearing CMOS and installing the card again.

Switched the card out for the old 1060, works perfectly and comes up in the BIOS. Maybe some sort of compatibility issue with the Rx 6600 seeing as it only works in the second slot? When I next install it, I’ll do a CMOS clear but I’ve done quite a few (5/6) clears of the CMOS following the normal steps (turning PC off, removing cable from PSU and turning PSU off, pressing on button for 30 sec, removing CMOS battery, wait 30 sec/1min, reinstall).

5 minutes ago, CrustyToe_ said:

Switched the card out for the old 1060, works perfectly and comes up in the BIOS. Maybe some sort of compatibility issue with the Rx 6600 seeing as it only works in the second slot? When I next install it, I’ll do a CMOS clear but I’ve done quite a few (5/6) clears of the CMOS following the normal steps (turning PC off, removing cable from PSU and turning PSU off, pressing on button for 30 sec, removing CMOS battery, wait 30 sec/1min, reinstall).

yea im pretty sure the cmos is okay, now try putting the 6600 back in , maybe it didn't make good contact?

4 minutes ago, CrustyToe_ said:

Thats weird. First time you tested it out it worked, so must be some sort of driver issue. As you said, it worked until you restarted the PC after installing AMD drivers. Put in GTX 1060. Run DDU in safe mode. (you'll get prompted at program startup) Go to options in DDU and select prevent windows from downloading drivers from windows update. Select AMD - clean and do not restart (2nd option).

Select Nvidia

Select clean and shutdown. Remove GTX 1060 and plug in RX 6600. Boot and install AMD drivers again.

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

25 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

Thats weird. First time you tested it out it worked, so must be some sort of driver issue. As you said, it worked until you restarted the PC after installing AMD drivers. Put in GTX 1060. Run DDU in safe mode. (you'll get prompted at program startup) Go to options in DDU and select prevent windows from downloading drivers from windows update. Select AMD - clean and do not restart (2nd option).

Select Nvidia

Select clean and shutdown. Remove GTX 1060 and plug in RX 6600. Boot and install AMD drivers again.

Ok thank you very much - I’ll have a go at this in a little while as I’m just doing something else at the moment. The only question I have is why do you think it would work in the second PCIE slot and not the first? Do they use different drivers? Just trying to learn some stuff whilst I’m trying to fix this so I know for the future. Your help has been like really useful, so thank you very much!

4 minutes ago, CrustyToe_ said:

Ok thank you very much - I’ll have a go at this in a little while as I’m just doing something else at the moment. The only question I have is why do you think it would work in the second PCIE slot and not the first? Do they use different drivers? Just trying to learn some stuff whilst I’m trying to fix this so I know for the future. Your help has been like really useful, so thank you very much!

Yes PC will see it as another device. If you take some random usb device for example your mouse and plug it to a new port, you'll see windows install it again, even though you already got the driver. That's why i think clearing CMOS and removing the card in software will help.  If it still dosen't work, you might want to try DDU again, while using onboard graphics

FS in Denmark/EU:

Just now, DoctorNick said:

Yes PC will see it as another device. If you take some random usb device for example your mouse and plug it to a new port, you'll see windows install it again, even though you already got the driver. That's why i think clearing CMOS and removing the card in software will help. 

Ok - so I should follow all of the steps you have provided - then clear CMOS just as I’m about to install the RX 6600 after uninstall all of the previous drivers. So every time I plug in a new GPU let’s say, windows will install drivers automatically? Never knew this. Thanks!

Just now, CrustyToe_ said:

Ok - so I should follow all of the steps you have provided - then clear CMOS just as I’m about to install the RX 6600 after uninstall all of the previous drivers. So every time I plug in a new GPU let’s say, windows will install drivers automatically? Never knew this. Thanks!

Yes, every device in fact. I usually remove this, because it's pretty annoying. At some point microsoft changed this, so even if you disabled automatic driver installation it will still install GPU drivers. But you can disable that flag with DDU as we talked about.

image.png.7a10fbd7166ae7dee7d48ae3e1c098c2.png

FS in Denmark/EU:

3 hours ago, DoctorNick said:

Yes, every device in fact. I usually remove this, because it's pretty annoying. At some point microsoft changed this, so even if you disabled automatic driver installation it will still install GPU drivers. But you can disable that flag with DDU as we talked about.

image.png.7a10fbd7166ae7dee7d48ae3e1c098c2.png

I just finished doing all of the steps with doing the DDU - 

- Using the 1060 in safe node

- uninstalling AMD drivers fist, thrning off the windows driver thingy and selecTing don’t restart

- uninstalled NVIDIA drivers and selecting restart (I also did the thing you said to do in windows control panel disabling windows updating drivers)

- reset CMOS whilst installing new card, checking latch is fully down on PCIE slot and properly installing the8 pin power connecter

- booted up, went to a ‘DRAM’ error. Turned off, then on again. Cycled from DRAM error to VGA error, then turned off and on again. Now on VGA red light.

really not sure how I’ve managed to brake this so badly. Don’t have a clue what I’ve done to be honest.

14 hours ago, CrustyToe_ said:

I just finished doing all of the steps with doing the DDU - 

- Using the 1060 in safe node

- uninstalling AMD drivers fist, thrning off the windows driver thingy and selecTing don’t restart

- uninstalled NVIDIA drivers and selecting restart (I also did the thing you said to do in windows control panel disabling windows updating drivers)

- reset CMOS whilst installing new card, checking latch is fully down on PCIE slot and properly installing the8 pin power connecter

- booted up, went to a ‘DRAM’ error. Turned off, then on again. Cycled from DRAM error to VGA error, then turned off and on again. Now on VGA red light.

really not sure how I’ve managed to brake this so badly. Don’t have a clue what I’ve done to be honest.

If the GTX 1060 is working I would RMA the 6600. Must be some issue with the card. You could try the card in another machine if you have access to one. Edit: Oh forgot that you can boot on 2nd PCI-E slot... It's very strange. At what speed is the 6600 running in 2nd PCI-E slot? Check with GPU-Z when running load on the GPU

FS in Denmark/EU:

2 hours ago, DoctorNick said:

If the GTX 1060 is working I would RMA the 6600. Must be some issue with the card. You could try the card in another machine if you have access to one. Edit: Oh forgot that you can boot on 2nd PCI-E slot... It's very strange. At what speed is the 6600 running in 2nd PCI-E slot? Check with GPU-Z when running load on the GPU

I haven’t checked the speed yet - I will do soon , I’ll install cinebench or something. I’ve been reading threads of people who have a similar problem - most of the threads are just where the top slot works with no GPU’s at all. However, there was like two I found with the exact same problem as me, and they found that replacing / reseating the CPU seemed to fix the problem. I’m just wondering, if I remove the cooler and reseat the CPU, will I need the cooler back on in order to boot the pc? I just need to get to basically the screen where it comes up with the BIOS option when booting.

25 minutes ago, CrustyToe_ said:

I haven’t checked the speed yet - I will do soon , I’ll install cinebench or something. I’ve been reading threads of people who have a similar problem - most of the threads are just where the top slot works with no GPU’s at all. However, there was like two I found with the exact same problem as me, and they found that replacing / reseating the CPU seemed to fix the problem. I’m just wondering, if I remove the cooler and reseat the CPU, will I need the cooler back on in order to boot the pc? I just need to get to basically the screen where it comes up with the BIOS option when booting.

I see that would make sense, what's not making sense is that it works with 1060. Yeah its a good idea to have the cooler on. Just remove cooler and wipe the cpu with some towel. Leave remaining thermal paste on the cooler and simply place it on top of the cpu.

FS in Denmark/EU:

2 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

I see that would make sense, what's not making sense is that it works with 1060. Yeah its a good idea to have the cooler on. Just remove cooler and wipe the cpu with some towel. Leave remaining thermal paste on the cooler and simply place it on top of the cpu.

Ok I’ll have a go at reseating the CPU in a minute. In GPU-Z, it’s reading clock speed as 2044mHZ, and I’m running the FurMark GPU stress test. The only issue I’m seeing is that the TDP wattage of the Rx 6600 is around 130W, I’m only drawing 100W at max GPU load, and the temp is maxing out at 50 degrees Celsius. I guess this just means that the performance is basically less than what it should be than in the first PCIE slot.

4 hours ago, DoctorNick said:

I see that would make sense, what's not making sense is that it works with 1060. Yeah it’s a good idea to have the cooler on. Just remove cooler and wipe the cpu with some towel. Leave remaining thermal paste on the cooler and simply place it on top of the cpu.

I managed to get the GPU running in another system, using 100W in the GPU FurMark test, and scoring 7400, compared to around 6300-6500 in my main system (where the top slot doesn’t work with the Rx 6600). However, the new system says in the manual that it’s supposed to support x16 PCIE, but the GPU currently runs on a at PCIE x8 1.1 for some reason.