From desktop to eGPU+handheld What do you think?

Budget (including currency): ~1000 PLN/~250 USD + money for selling stuff, budget might be a bit higher if its really worth  

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Games - CS2, Lol, Spelunky 2, Sot, Cyberpunk2077, R&C, ps3 emulation, assetto corsa, ac competizione, atomic heart, awesomenatus, wrc games F1 games, party games, Premiere pro, after effects, photoshop, some streamming

Other details : I'm not in hurry so i can wait some time for a new releases,

Hi,
During IEM i had an opportunity to get my hand on msi claw and it got me thinking about some change.
I had "old" steamdeck upgraded to 1TB, and at my familly house desktop:
I9-9900k with Noctua NH-D15 2x140mm
G.SKILL 32GB (2x16GB) 3000MHz CL16 Aegis
ASRock Z390 TAICHI
MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Ti GAMING X TRIO 11GB GDDR6

Corsair HX750i 750W 80 Plus Platinum
Fractal Design Define R6C Blackout Tempered Glass
Two M.2 drives (samsung 970 evo 500gb and  crucial 1TB)
1TB SATA Samsung SSD
some kind of icy box that i rarely use
3 noctua 120mm fans for intake
and one 140mm for exhaust

1440p144hz main monitor
1080p144hz 2nd

Despite its age this setup handles nicely even newer titles. I'm currently student so most of the week 5/7 days (- holidays) i spent in different city. I do have tablet (samsung tab s9+) so I DON'T NEED LAPTOP.
If i have some free time i can play some games on my steam deck but it is a bit too little powerful. Playing some indie games is ok but steamdeck's 60hz screen isnt the best one, more demanding titles i have to sacrifice graphic settings, booting to windows and trying to do some editing in adobe programs also isn't perfect experience due to lack of performance.
There are things that i love about steamdeck i can just plug it into tv get a few dualsence controllers and my and my friends can have gaming party on TV.

Getting to the point
The performance of Msi Claw posistively suprised me also the screen despite not being oled looked more than enough.

My 1st thought was to sell my steamdeck add a bit of money and buy oled one but it wouldn't really change performance.
My 2nd idea is to sell steamdeck, most of pc (motherboard, ram,cpu, cooling, maybe power supply... ) and buy Msi Claw (or a different handheld), GPU enclosure for my 2080Ti.

Looking at benchmarks Intel® Core™ Ultra 7 processor 155H (msi claw) performs a bit better than my I9-9900k.

I have some conserns about that:
- how good would eGPU accualy run
- would i be able to connect: mouse, keyboard, microphone (mini jack), speakers (optical port), discs (at least some of them) and probably from time to time some usb stick, or different accessories
^without affecting eGPU performance
- on 1st sight msi software seems middling
- I'm into Playstation button layout, steamdecks is ok, msi claw/xbox/asus rog have less comfortable one but maybe it is just something to get used to

PS: my tablet has amazing screen and i found an app called superdisplay that allowes me to make it act as a display with pretty good results - full res 120hz, touchscreen works, Samsung pen's pressure sensivity works...... but it has 3 disadvantages - 1 no hdr support, works only with windows, it uses quite a lot of processing power.

What do you think about my upgrade idea?
Which handheld would fit my needs the best?

What GPU enclosure do you recomend?

^ could i buy used one or not really?

What are your experience with running handhelds+eGPU for a longer time?
Maybe it is better to save some money for steamdeck upgrade and leave pc as it is for now?

Any ideas how to improve my idea?

If you have any questions I'm happy to answer 🙂

5 minutes ago, Mkoniec said:

Budget (including currency): ~1000 PLN/~250 USD + money for selling stuff, budget might be a bit higher if its really worth  

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Games - CS2, Lol, Spelunky 2, Sot, Cyberpunk2077, R&C, ps3 emulation, assetto corsa, ac competizione, atomic heart, awesomenatus, wrc games F1 games, party games, Premiere pro, after effects, photoshop, some streamming

Hi,
During IEM i had an opportunity to get my hand on msi claw and it got me thinking about some change.
ASRock Z390 TAICHI

1TB SATA Samsung SSD

1440p144hz main monitor
1080p144hz 2nd

Despite its age this setup handles nicely even newer titles. I'm currently student so most of the week 5/7 days (- holidays) i spent in different city. I do have tablet (samsung tab s9+) so I DON'T NEED LAPTOP.
If i have some free time i can play some games on my steam deck but it is a bit too little powerful. Playing some indie games is ok but steamdeck's 60hz screen isnt the best one, more demanding titles i have to sacrifice graphic settings, booting to windows and trying to do some editing in adobe programs also isn't perfect experience due to lack of performance.
There are things that i love about steamdeck i can just plug it into tv get a few dualsence controllers and my and my friends can have gaming party on TV.

Getting to the point
The performance of Msi Claw posistively suprised me also the screen despite not being oled looked more than enough.

My 1st thought was to sell my steamdeck add a bit of money and buy oled one but it wouldn't really change performance.
My 2nd idea is to sell steamdeck, most of pc (motherboard, ram,cpu, cooling, maybe power supply... ) and buy Msi Claw (or a different handheld), GPU enclosure for my 2080Ti.

Looking at benchmarks Intel® Core™ Ultra 7 processor 155H (msi claw) performs a bit better than my I9-9900k.

- would i be able to connect: mouse, keyboard, microphone (mini jack), speakers (optical port), discs (at least some of them) and probably from time to time some usb stick, or different accessories
- I'm into Playstation button layout, steamdecks is ok, msi claw/xbox/asus rog have less comfortable one but maybe it is just something to get used to

PS: my tablet has amazing screen and i found an app called superdisplay that allowes me to make it act as a display with pretty good results - full res 120hz, touchscreen works, Samsung pen's pressure sensivity works...... but it has 3 disadvantages - 1 no hdr support, works only with windows, it uses quite a lot of processing power.

Maybe it is better to save some money for steamdeck upgrade and leave pc as it is for now?

As of connecting all you peripherals as wel as eGPU without affecting performance, i'd say no because you would have to use a dock or usb extender, and then the dock or usb extender would limit the speed of the eGPU

I edit my messages more than not –

Probably some dude on the internet

Just now, Hellowpplz said:

As of connecting all you peripherals as wel as eGPU without affecting performance, i'd say no because you would have to use a dock or usb extender, and then the dock or usb extender would limit the speed of the eGPU

I've seen raze chroma x that is enclosure with 4 (i think) usb ports, so my handheld would be connected to eGPU, most of my peripherals (except of SSD) do not need much bandwidth and in addition my 2080 ti has v-link port (?), basically usb c port, idk if connecting anything to it would affect its performance. 

1 minute ago, Mkoniec said:

I've seen raze chroma x that is enclosure with 4 (i think) usb ports, so my handheld would be connected to eGPU, most of my peripherals (except of SSD) do not need much bandwidth and in addition my 2080 ti has v-link port (?), basically usb c port, idk if connecting anything to it would affect its performance. 

I mean anything taking up bandwith is gonna do that

I edit my messages more than not –

Probably some dude on the internet

35 minutes ago, Hellowpplz said:

I mean anything taking up bandwith is gonna do that

If I'm correct thunderbolt 4 is capable of 40Gb/s bandwith and 2080ti needs just 16 (PCI Express 3.0 ×16) so there is a lot of left

2 hours ago, Mkoniec said:

Hi,
ASRock Z390 TAICHI

1TB SATA Samsung SSD

1440p144hz main monitor
1080p144hz 2nd

Getting to the point

eGPUs in general aren't great, the extra latency involved just isn't worth it (being someone who daily drove a TB3 eGPU setup for over a year like a madman). Although, if you're not playing multiplayer games where latency matters, its not as impactful. I was able to measure a ~50ms increase in frame time latency, mind you, while it was using an external monitor (which is optimal). The latency was severe enough to where I would reliably miss interrupts in WoW that were entirely solved by throwing my dGPU back into my 4790k build (circa 2016-2017, and ~4 month period in 2020).

I haven't tried Asus' setup with their XG Mobile, but that's not using thunderbolt, which helps. That doesn't matter in your case if you're trying to utilize an existing 2080ti.

The latency might be acceptable if you don't play competitive games, but you really would need to use it with an external monitor. The extra latency and loss sending the image back across the thunderbolt connection has always been a significant enough limit to virtually require an external monitor.

How much thunderbolt 4 improves on this, I'm not sure. I haven't seen a need to upgrade my thunderbolt eGPU enclosure and it doesn't work on the Steam Deck OLED. If I ever needed to jump back into an eGPU setup, I'd simply go for something proprietary like Asus' XG mobile just to combat latency.

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017