32" 4K IPS Vs 27" 1440p oled

Tacitus

I have the chance to get a 32" 4k IPS 144hz display, or, for about the same price, a 27" oled 1440p screen.

Use case is a mix of games (typically RPGs, no need for super high frame rates), photo editing (hobbyist) and occasionally working from home (think Microsoft office type applications).

Which would you go for and why?  Should I just wait for 4k oled to come down in price? 

44 minutes ago, Tacitus said:

I have the chance to get a 32" 4k IPS 144hz display, or, for about the same price, a 27" oled 1440p screen.

Use case is a mix of games (typically RPGs, no need for super high frame rates), photo editing (hobbyist) and occasionally working from home (think Microsoft office type applications).

Which would you go for and why?  Should I just wait for 4k oled to come down in price? 

First of all what refresh rate is the oled.

2nd of all, OLED's having blacker blacks, but get screen burn in (ghost image), which could very well happen if you leave a photo up or a document open too long

IPS would be better for multitasking, considering the 5 inch difference, and with that size of a screen you might even be able to run 3 applications side by side if you don't mind the shrunken text, but I'm stuck with a 22" so I don't really know.

The real sell out for me as a gamer is the motion blur. IPS displays have so much blur on moving objects and I can't stand it, OLED's almost completely get rid of that.

I edit my messages more than not –

Probably some dude on the internet

2 hours ago, Tacitus said:

We'll need a bit more data. 4K isn't difficult for non-AAA games to drive, can be done with any moderately powerful GPU really, but specs would help give better assistance.

It also depends on what displays we're talking about. Some non OLEDs with really high quality VA HDR panels can be just as good as OLED without some of the downsides. I also wouldn't trust first gen OLED monitors unless you have really good habits with turning it off and not having static imagines on constantly to minimize burn in.

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

1 hour ago, Hellowpplz said:

First of all what refresh rate is the oled.

2nd of all, OLED's having blacker blacks, but get screen burn in (ghost image), which could very well happen if you leave a photo up or a document open too long

IPS would be better for multitasking, considering the 5 inch difference, and with that size of a screen you might even be able to run 3 applications side by side if you don't mind the shrunken text, but I'm stuck with a 22" so I don't really know.

The real sell out for me as a gamer is the motion blur. IPS displays have so much blur on moving objects and I can't stand it, OLED's almost completely get rid of that.

Thanks - the OLED is 240hz but I'm never going to take full advantage of it - I mainly play Elden Ring which is locked to 60hz.

Agree that I'd need to be careful to avoid image burn

2 hours ago, Tacitus said:

Thanks - the OLED is 240hz but I'm never going to take full advantage of it - I mainly play Elden Ring which is locked to 60hz.

Agree that I'd need to be careful to avoid image burn

So then probably the IPS is better for multitasking purposes but again be careful of image burn in. Also like I said there i lots more ghosting. On my Lenovo Thinkvision monitor at 60hz there is a ton of motion blur that is noticeable as I'm scrolling a page. Turn on overdrive and the ghosting simply goes backwards but now it turns like a weird rainbow color. My OLED 60hz has none of this, and even my laptop's built in screen is better.

I edit my messages more than not –

Probably some dude on the internet

Even for 60 fps games like Elden Ring the OLED will look and feel better. 27" 1440p is still big enough to do some occasional office work and it it isn't every single day, the work shouldn't be a burn-in problem.

Since the OLED also offers a good HDR experience and Elden Ring is a game with a good native HDR implementation, I'd suggest going with the OLED.

"You can't use reason to convince someone if they didn't use reason to come to their conclusion in the first place."