1080ti Crashes pc unless in safe mode or when drivers aren't installed.

So, recently I bought a second hand MSI GTX 1080ti Sea Hawk X and tried installing it replacing my 1660ti, however, I could't get past installing the geforce drivers. The drivers would almost finish installing but then the display would flash with these small glitchy looking white/purple/green lines and restart. With every restart after that, the process would repeat, windows logo would load followed by screen going blank with glitchy lines and then restart. Or it would also sometimes not restart and just say no signal. Other times the glitchy lines would stay on the screen for 5 seconds or more before restarting. The only way to break the cycle was to boot into safe mode and use DDU to clear the drivers, then it would boot into windows normally. So, as long as the drivers weren't installed or I was in safe mode everything would work fine besides obviously not being able to actually use the gpu. Not sure if this is important, but I have 2 monitors and the 1080ti would only display to one of them. 

The person I bought the card from claims that It was working perfectly fine before I got it, which I am inclined to believe because he has videos of it working days prior (and proof of the date). He says he's never seen the card do anything like what I showed him. The cards vRAM fan is also loud (making an RRRRR sound) and inconsistent (would spin for like 2 seconds at a time), like its struggling to spin. Which he also claimed didn't happen before. He has been doing his best to give suggestions on what the issue might be. 

I even tried installing it on my girlfriends pc, which is a lot more powerful and updated, yet the symptoms were the same. Even the monitor problem where it only displays to 1 of 2 monitors. Will soon also try it on my friends computer which is even more updated and powerful. I also reinstalled my old 1660ti and had no issues.

Does anyone know what the issue might be? Am I installing something wrong, is there a compatibility issue, or did I just get ripped off? The attached images show what the glitchy lines look like when they flash on the screen. Any help would be great!

Specs:

i5-7600

Gigabyte GA-H110M-H

2x 8gb DDR4

EVGA 500w psu (tried with brand new 700w to same outcome)

Windows 10 64bit

What I've already tried: 

Installing drivers in safe mode: They install successfully but when I try to restart into normal windows the crash cycle happens again and I have to use DDU again.

Installing various versions of the drivers, even the exact version the seller had used

Using a higher capacity psu

Letting geforce experience automatically install them

Letting Windows automatically install them

Cleared CMOS

DDU multiple times to clear old drivers

Reseating the card

Ran the driver installer as administrator 

Tried a clean install of the drivers with nv clean install

looked for MSI version of the drivers, however couldn't find the 10 series sea hawk drivers 

Dusting the PCIE slot

Tried shutting down the pc after installing drivers in safe mode and waited 30min before starting it again

IMG_4105.HEIC IMG_1906.HEIC

Bro, it looks like you just got scammed.

Did he ship the card to you? How well packaged was it? Maybe it got damaged in transit.

Qoute my reply if you want me to answer back. 

hey it might not be a scam? but cards can fail at anytime, so just maybe it is a coincidence..also whilst in original pc it might well have been ok but as soon as it was removed the pcb may have had a tiny fracture in a solder joint waiting to materialise i.e memory chip which was ok when untouched but any flexing of the pcb realised the issue..

It is an unfortunate situ, as it could not be anyones fault

just looked at photos, that is probably solder ball issue on vram or core, if you are stuck with as faulty then the reheating of the vram and core via heatgun or even oven may bring it back to working for a period of time...hours to months to years

6 hours ago, Yua said:

Bro, it looks like you just got scammed.

Did he ship the card to you? How well packaged was it? Maybe it got damaged in transit.

I picked it up from him, it was just in a cardboard box so it’s possible him or I messed something up in transit, but it was only a 20min drive.

5 hours ago, aledsav1 said:

just looked at photos, that is probably solder ball issue on vram or core, if you are stuck with as faulty then the reheating of the vram and core via heatgun or even oven may bring it back to working for a period of time...hours to months to years

Ahhhh I see, yeah I was thinking of doing the oven method as a last resort if all else fails.