Assistance on getting good performance for value

Fairq

Budget (including currency): 1200$ USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Mordhau, Star Citizen, Chivalry 2, maybe fortnite, VR games, Recording, and Video editing

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc.): The current PC I use is a prebuilt from DELL, so mostly anything custom built is good upgrade as you might imagine. And I've never built a computer before so any assistance with what different parts mean and how to understand them is good info too

I'd mostly want to be able to run games at a high framerate with preferably no lag spikes, I don't use ethernet so having a motherboard with a strong and fast Wi-Fi connection would be best while also fitting the other necessities ofc, the CPU would be best if it was fast but still in the range of the price set such as the one listed in the pc part picker below, it would be nice if the graphics card wouldn't bottleneck the CPU as much as possible, but its fine if you don't do it, and the fans/cooler would be best if it was quite so I don't have a loud whiney PC. Having a good amount  of storage would be good for housing recordings and other apps, and a good amount of ram to be able to run servers off the computer without it effecting other apps performances a huge amount.

Here is the current list of parts, any help or assurance would be amazing (Its ok if you call it an abomination I'm still learning): https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cLVNxH

12 minutes ago, Fairq said:

Its ok if you call it an abomination I'm still learning

I wouldn't say it an abomination, it'll work and dive fairly decent performance, but at the same time I wouldn't call it good as you can do quite a bit better for a system in this price range. 

First off, AM4 gear doesn't make a whole lot of sense nowadays. The only CPUs that make sense to buy for it are the 5500, 5600, and 5800X3D, and even then the 5800X3D only makes sense if you already have an AM4 motherboard. Going to AM5 with something like a 7600 will be faster overall when compared to the 5800X, and it's actually slightly cheaper as well. This will require swapping out the motherboard and RAM, but pricing is about the same between those two at this point (DDR5 is ~$20-30 more for a similar kit, but you can get a cheaper AM5 board so it evens out). 

As for the cooler, you really don't need an AIO for this system. A $35 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 will be plenty to keep it cool, and the money you save can be put towards a higher end GPU. 

The SSD is in the same boat, most people don't really need a 970 Evo. A Solidigm P41 should be plenty fast for most applications, and the $60 you save on it would be better put somewhere else.

That leaves the GPU. The 3060 doesn't make a whole lot of sense to buy now, at least new, when compared to the other options that are available for the same price. That said, with the above cost cutting, you an now fit a GPU in this budget at about $450, which means the fastest card you can get in an RX 7700 XT. This card isn't really a fantastic value since for ~$60 more you can get a 7800 XT, a significantly faster GPU, but most of those 7800 XTs for $500 are out of stock, and at $90 difference it's a bit harder of a sell, especially since there's not a convenient way to case $90 in your current system to bring it in budget. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mL2PQP

12 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

I wouldn't say it an abomination, it'll work and dive fairly decent performance, but at the same time I wouldn't call it good as you can do quite a bit better for a system in this price range. 

First off, AM4 gear doesn't make a whole lot of sense nowadays. The only CPUs that make sense to buy for it are the 5500, 5600, and 5800X3D, and even then the 5800X3D only makes sense if you already have an AM4 motherboard. Going to AM5 with something like a 7600 will be faster overall when compared to the 5800X, and it's actually slightly cheaper as well. This will require swapping out the motherboard and RAM, but pricing is about the same between those two at this point (DDR5 is ~$20-30 more for a similar kit, but you can get a cheaper AM5 board so it evens out). 

As for the cooler, you really don't need an AIO for this system. A $35 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 will be plenty to keep it cool, and the money you save can be put towards a higher end GPU. 

The SSD is in the same boat, most people don't really need a 970 Evo. A Solidigm P41 should be plenty fast for most applications, and the $60 you save on it would be better put somewhere else.

That leaves the GPU. The 3060 doesn't make a whole lot of sense to buy now, at least new, when compared to the other options that are available for the same price. That said, with the above cost cutting, you an now fit a GPU in this budget at about $450, which means the fastest card you can get in an RX 7700 XT. This card isn't really a fantastic value since for ~$60 more you can get a 7800 XT, a significantly faster GPU, but most of those 7800 XTs for $500 are out of stock, and at $90 difference it's a bit harder of a sell, especially since there's not a convenient way to case $90 in your current system to bring it in budget. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mL2PQP

Thanks for the help, I'll probably slip that 7800 XT in there since it sounds like a good upgrade from what you said, and I have a bit a leniency in the price considering the build I had before I posted this was about 1600$

Just now, Fairq said:

Thanks for the help, I'll probably slip that 7800 XT in there since it sounds like a good upgrade from what you said, and I have a bit a leniency in the price considering the build I had before I posted this was about 1600$

Fair enough. The other thing that might be worth looking into is the 4070, since that's basically a 7800 XT with better RT performance and lower power consumption. There've been a ton of price cuts on it, and currently the cheapest 4070 is only $20 most than the cheapest 7800 XT, and for those extra features it might be worth it to you. If your electric costs are next to nothing and you don't play any RT games, it's probably not worth it, but figure it's worth a mention. 

7 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Fair enough. The other thing that might be worth looking into is the 4070, since that's basically a 7800 XT with better RT performance and lower power consumption. There've been a ton of price cuts on it, and currently the cheapest 4070 is only $20 most than the cheapest 7800 XT, and for those extra features it might be worth it to you. If your electric costs are next to nothing and you don't play any RT games, it's probably not worth it, but figure it's worth a mention. 

What 4070 would be the best while generally sticking around the price range?

4 minutes ago, Fairq said:

What 4070 would be the best while generally sticking around the price range?

Whatever the cheapest one you can find is. Currently in the US that's a Zotac card, so that's the one I'd go for. Higher end cards for a specific model don't make a whole lot of sense outside of the top end options (I.E. a 7900 XTX Aqua can make more sense over say a Phantom Gaming, and a Strix 4090 can make sense over a TUF 4090, but a 7900 XT Red Devil doesn't make much more sense than a 7900 XT Hellhound and the same with the 4090). 

The build with the 4070:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/QBz4YN

1 minute ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Whatever the cheapest one you can find is. Currently in the US that's a Zotac card, so that's the one I'd go for. Higher end cards for a specific model don't make a whole lot of sense outside of the top end options (I.E. a 7900 XTX Aqua can make more sense over say a Phantom Gaming, and a Strix 4090 can make sense over a TUF 4090, but a 7900 XT Red Devil doesn't make much more sense than a 7900 XT Hellhound and the same with the 4090). 

The build with the 4070:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/QBz4YN

I think I'll go with this. Thanks for the help!