Need some advice regarding RMA Asus Ally in the UK -Asus refusing to help

Diddlydennis

OK, Asus Ally has started playing up with the dreaded micro SD card slot, and my right stick only going up and down, and not left and right. I bought it from eBay months ago, so the item is under warranty however, upon RMAing it, Asus is refusing to help unless I provide proof of purchase/or receipt. I told them I bought it from eBay, but they're not budging and want proof. I assumed the warranty would be tied to the serial, but not sure what to do as I believe this isn't right. I tried to contact the seller, but he's not responding.

Help!

1 hour ago, Diddlydennis said:

OK, Asus Ally has started playing up with the dreaded micro SD card slot, and my right stick only going up and down, and not left and right. I bought it from eBay months ago, so the item is under warranty however, upon RMAing it, Asus is refusing to help unless I provide proof of purchase/or receipt. I told them I bought it from eBay, but they're not budging and want proof. I assumed the warranty would be tied to the serial, but not sure what to do as I believe this isn't right. I tried to contact the seller, but he's not responding.

Help!

What kind of help do you expect? We can't force the seller to reply.

Did you buy it used or new?

28 minutes ago, Diddlydennis said:

Help!

Buying from eBay is always classed as second-hand by the manufacturer, they often go further and say things like "authorised retailer".

Legally it shouldn't make a difference if it was sold as brand new, but you'll have to keep pestering them to escalate it to someone higher in the company.

If it was sold as new, you could send them the eBay invoice.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz) WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz)

Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

You basically have no recourse without proof of purchase. Showing when you bought if off ebay won't give them any indication of when it was originally purchased.

Not buying off third parties without the original receipt is the harsh lesson you've (hopefully) learned.

Parasoshill

adjective

• A person whose parasocial relationship with a social media influencer or content creator has driven them to promote or blindly defend them, acting as a shill for their benefit.

1 hour ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Buying from eBay is always classed as second-hand by the manufacturer, they often go further and say things like "authorised retailer".

Legally it shouldn't make a difference if it was sold as brand new, but you'll have to keep pestering them to escalate it to someone higher in the company.

If it was sold as new, you could send them the eBay invoice.

Thanks, I try and do that. It's just I never experienced this problem before this week. I assumed it was the serial, and its why I check the serial number for warranty purposes in case something goes wrong. Kinda gutted this has happened.

29 minutes ago, Diddlydennis said:

Thanks, I try and do that. It's just I never experienced this problem before this week. I assumed it was the serial, and its why I check the serial number for warranty purposes in case something goes wrong. Kinda gutted this has happened.

Did you send them the eBay invoice? That should tell the model#, and the seller you bought it from. Was it sold as new? Did you contact the seller to see if they have a better invoice or procedure? If it is a commercial seller, they sure came across this issue before. 

Just saying eBay means nothing. On eBay you can buy from Joe Sixpack who stole the MB or from a type of Newegg that sells millions of these legitimately. You have to be more specific what "eBay" means in your case 

And of course they want proof of purchase. They don't want to warrant stolen items or items beyond warranty, which starts when a consumer buys it from a reseller.

AMD 9 7900 + Thermalright Peerless Assassin SE

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

Seasonic Focus Plus 550W Platinum

W11 Pro

38 minutes ago, Lurking said:

Just saying eBay means nothing. On eBay you can buy from Joe Sixpack who stole the MB or from a type of Newegg that sells millions of these legitimately. You have to be more specific what "eBay" means in your case

Yeah I bought from Argos (a retailer) Refurbished over here in the UK off eBay.  They key difference being they offered their own warranty. 

When buying off random person on eBay, you have to hope kicking up enough of a stink with the manufacturer will get it sorted as even if its new, its technically second-hand as you weren't the one to purchase it from the official first-party retailer, they were.  Plus like you said it could be stolen too.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz) WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz)

ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

2 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Yeah I bought from Argos (a retailer) Refurbished over here in the UK off eBay.  They key difference being they offered their own warranty. 

When buying off random person on eBay, you have to hope kicking up enough of a stink with the manufacturer will get it sorted as even if its new, its technically second-hand as you weren't the one to purchase it from the official first-party retailer, they were.  Plus like you said it could be stolen too.

I'm not sure what defines an official seller that can initiate the warranty. I'm sure Amazon, Best buy and Newegg are. 

There are legit small sellers. But how to recognize? 

If the seller is just some random guy who bought up some surplus, or refurbished units etc., you likely have a hard time with warranty. And I can't even blame the manufacturer. I don't like the "blame the manufacturer" tone in this thread. OP didn't tell details.

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

W11 Pro

2 hours ago, Lurking said:

I'm not sure what defines an official seller that can initiate the warranty. I'm sure Amazon, Best buy and Newegg are. 

If the seller is just some random guy who bought up some surplus, or refurbished units etc., you likely have a hard time with warranty. And I can't even blame the manufacturer. I don't like the "blame the manufacturer" tone in this thread. OP didn't tell details.

Its not always clear, but generally if you bought from an actual shop website where its a registered business then its hard for them to argue with the invoice/receipt clearly showing as such.

As much as I hate Amazon, I use them a lot because even if you buy from an individual, they handle returns and are usually very obliging about it.  I've returned things to them where the manufacturer were being awkward with RMA too.

9 hours ago, Lurking said:

Like I said before, from experience, this has never happened before so I assumed that Asus was making this difficult. The Asus was bought under a private seller, but he has high feedback from selling other things.  He sold it because he wanted a Steam Deck again and not liking Windows for gaming. Had no issues until now.

15 minutes ago, Diddlydennis said:

Like I said before, from experience, this has never happened before so I assumed that Asus was making this difficult. The Asus was bought under a private seller, but he has high feedback from selling other things.  He sold it because he wanted a Steam Deck again and not liking Windows for gaming. Had no issues until now.

You bought a used item. Read the warranty documents if warranty even covers anyone who is not the original buyer. You may need the original invoice that private seller had when they bought it from a legit vendor.

Some warranties also limit coverage based on registration etc. 

You should have mentioned private seller and used item in your OP since it it significant information for warranty purposes.

Before complaining about Asus, make sure you even have a legal right to warranty. If you don't legally have a claim, you have no right to complain about them not helping you.

I buy new stuff off eBay. But those sellers appear to be legit commercial sellers. I only once had a warranty claim right out of the box (it was a bike repair stand) and the manufacturer helped me sending new part (seller was a bike shop). But I know if I buy from private seller a used part, I'm most likely on my own unless it arrives DOA and I can hold the seller responsible.

If your MB died right away, I'd go after the seller for refund. If it died a while after you received it, you may be out of luck. Complete list of all relevant information would be very helpful. Details like it being a used item are crucial.

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

W11 Pro

24 minutes ago, Lurking said:

You bought a used item. Read the warranty documents if warranty even covers anyone who is not the original buyer. You may need the original invoice that private seller had when they bought it from a legit vendor.

Some warranties also limit coverage based on registration etc. 

You should have mentioned private seller and used item in your OP since it it significant information for warranty purposes.

Before complaining about Asus, make sure you even have a legal right to warranty. If you don't legally have a claim, you have no right to complain about them not helping you.

I buy new stuff off eBay. But those sellers appear to be legit commercial sellers. I only once had a warranty claim right out of the box (it was a bike repair stand) and the manufacturer helped me sending new part (seller was a bike shop). But I know if I buy from private seller a used part, I'm most likely on my own unless it arrives DOA and I can hold the seller responsible.

If your MB died right away, I'd go after the seller for refund. If it died a while after you received it, you may be out of luck. Complete list of all relevant information would be very helpful. Details like it being a used item are crucial.

Thanks, reading you're reply I understand why you think I needed to be more thorough. 

Can someone clarify, if I can get the receipt from the seller would I be OK, or is this going to be an issue since I bought it from a private seller on ebay?.

53 minutes ago, Diddlydennis said:

Can someone clarify, if I can get the receipt from the seller would I be OK, or is this going to be an issue since I bought it from a private seller on ebay?.

No one but Asus (or their written warranty conditions) can answer that. 

I'd get the invoice first and then send to Asus and see. 

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

W11 Pro

3 hours ago, Lurking said:

No one but Asus (or their written warranty conditions) can answer that. 

I'd get the invoice first and then send to Asus and see. 

Thanks, seller is going to check tomorrow and call Currys but he does have a receipt!!1

Update.

Asus fixed it for me, it was fine with the serial after all. I had to email Asus and the UK repair centre got it wrong. No receipt is needed.

20 minutes ago, Diddlydennis said:

Update.

Asus fixed it for me, it was fine with the serial after all. I had to email Asus and the UK repair centre got it wrong. No receipt is needed.

Are you sure the "UK repair centre got it wrong" and not that they did you a favor because you complained loudly enough? 

Just because they agreed to fix it for you without a receipt doesn't mean you don't need one. They might have made an exception. 

1 minute ago, LAwLz said:

Are you sure the "UK repair centre got it wrong" and not that they did you a favor because you complained loudly enough? 

Just because they agreed to fix it for you without a receipt doesn't mean you don't need one. They might have made an exception. 

Well, I just emailed Asus and explained my situation, I don't have some social following or linked to the thread. Since it ran contrary to what was mentioned and I was in the wrong. In the future I'm going to get a receipt but happy it worked out alright. 

1 hour ago, Diddlydennis said:

Well, I just emailed Asus and explained my situation, I don't have some social following or linked to the thread. Since it ran contrary to what was mentioned and I was in the wrong. In the future I'm going to get a receipt but happy it worked out alright. 

Glad it worked out. Manufacturer always CAN be more lenient than legally required.

We all learn. Next time you buy a used item with warranty, make sure seller includes all required documents. Sometimes warranties require registration and proof thereof etc. RTFM. 

If I sell something, I likely get rid of all documents after sale. So if the buyer needs something later may be out of luck.

And ultimately when buying used, it can be a great deal, or it can be a bust.

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

W11 Pro