Is my HDD dead?

IR76
Go to solution Solved by Birblover12,

You could try running an installation of Linux (Like Ubuntu) off of a USB stick (no need to actually install it, you can run the entire thing off of the USB) and see if you can recover the files from there. If they don't pop up from there then your options are pretty slim apart from sending off to an HDD Repair Center or something along those lines.

So I found an old laptop of a family member and I booted it up (really old Windows 7) and it was really slow. I tried getting the pictures onto a USB ASAP because the laptop told me it thinks it will die soon based on the HDD's health. I plugged in a USB and it failed multiple times to install some driver software to read it then it shut off and now I hit the power button and the power light comes for a second then goes off and repeats every time I try to click the power button. Is it gone for good or is there any way to recover the files on it? 

You could try running an installation of Linux (Like Ubuntu) off of a USB stick (no need to actually install it, you can run the entire thing off of the USB) and see if you can recover the files from there. If they don't pop up from there then your options are pretty slim apart from sending off to an HDD Repair Center or something along those lines.

Keep in mind that I am sometimes wrong, so please correct me if you believe this is the case!

"The Nvidia Geforce RTX 3050 is brutally underrated"

Just now, Birblover12 said:

Alright, thank you ill give that a try. 

4 hours ago, IR76 said:

So I found an old laptop of a family member and I booted it up (really old Windows 7) and it was really slow. I tried getting the pictures onto a USB ASAP because the laptop told me it thinks it will die soon based on the HDD's health. I plugged in a USB and it failed multiple times to install some driver software to read it then it shut off and now I hit the power button and the power light comes for a second then goes off and repeats every time I try to click the power button. Is it gone for good or is there any way to recover the files on it? 

What type of laptop is it? If the laptop isn't posting anymore, it might not even be the hdd that's the problem. You could try removing it and installing it in a different pc.

59 minutes ago, Ryker Robb said:

What type of laptop is it? If the laptop isn't posting anymore, it might not even be the hdd that's the problem. You could try removing it and installing it in a different pc.

Toshiba satellite c660-195