How to remove a Motherboard's M.2 SSD stand-off

Cr33ps

I am having trouble with my new build. To put in my m.2 ssd I need to reposition the Motherboard's stand-off that is in a different position to what I need. I have tried to unscrew it but it doesn't seem to budge. I have tried to find an extra one in the Motherboard's box but I don't think that it includes one. The stand-off itself looks like it can be unscrewed by a Phillip's head screw driver. I need to know if I can remove it safely and how to do so. 

17020895301813722843770530490462.jpg

Motherboard is the Msi b550 gaming gen 3

Quote me for the answer and please Mark As Solution if I solved your problem

What I need help with rn

Spoiler

Best pc guides

It's supposed to just come off if you unscrew it. Maybe check the backside and see what's going on. But it's just supposed to be a simple screw.

9 minutes ago, Cr33ps said:

The stand-off itself looks like it can be unscrewed by a Phillip's head screw driver.

That's how it's designed to work, use a Phillips screw driver to remove it. A flat head also works, same with the ol' fashioned "give 'er with some pliers," though Philips is preferred. If it's not unscrewing, there's something wrong with the actual threads and unless the problem is obvious and easy to fix, I'd just swap the board since it should be covered under warranty. 

16 minutes ago, Jon-Slow said:

It's supposed to just come off if you unscrew it. Maybe check the backside and see what's going on. But it's just supposed to be a simple screw.

That's what I thought. There doesn't seem to be anything special on the back of it. Will too much force unscrewing it break the standoff? 

What I need help with rn

Spoiler

Best pc guides

15 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

That's how it's designed to work, use a Phillips screw driver to remove it. A flat head also works, same with the ol' fashioned "give 'er with some pliers," though Philips is preferred. If it's not unscrewing, there's something wrong with the actual threads and unless the problem is obvious and easy to fix, I'd just swap the board since it should be covered under warranty. 

To my knowledge it should come off when unscrewed. When I tried with my hands and screwdriver it didn't move at all. Is there any risk of breaking it? I don't think that the Motherboard itself has a problem. It should come right off . Will buying a new standoff be an option?

What I need help with rn

Spoiler

Best pc guides

Chill, get a phillips screwdriver and turn it Counter-clockwise. If it doesn't budge, apply a little bit more of force.

Worst case scenario it brakes and you have to buy another one either way.

Qoute my reply if you want me to answer back. 

5 minutes ago, Yua said:

get a phillips screwdriver and turn it clockwise

*Counter-clockwise. Clockwise tightens it and makes the current situation worse. 

3 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

*Counter-clockwise. Clockwise tightens it and makes the current situation worse. 

Oh shit. You are right. Sorry!

10 minutes ago, Yua said:

Chill, get a phillips screwdriver and turn it Counter-clockwise. If it doesn't budge, apply a little bit more of force.

15 minutes ago, Yua said:

Have tried with 2 different sizes. I have with tried a lot of force. Will try a different size

What I need help with rn

Spoiler

Best pc guides

It seems to be like no matter the size the screwdriver slips out of the standoff. 

@RONOTHAN## @Yua

What I need help with rn

Spoiler

Best pc guides

8 minutes ago, Cr33ps said:

It seems to be like no matter the size the screwdriver slips out of the standoff. 

@RONOTHAN## @Yua

Usually when that happens with a screw, it means that there is some sort of an issue in there. To further fidle with it could result in something breaking. but also there isn't much of an option left either. Try getting back to it after a while when you can rethink it and see if you can remove it without causing damage. If the removal is not 100% something you have to do then maybe don't. I'm guessing you're trying to install a heatsink? Maybe get one of the cheap ones that work with rubber bands. Can't say how effective they are but if you're not going above 70c during extensive use then it should be okay.

Are you trying to remove it to make the size bigger or shorter?

If it's to make it shorter then adding another one wont leave an obstacle behind.

I'm sure pressure pliers would remove that sucker, but at some point buying another one is a more sensible approach.

Are this robot mounted? Would the thread even be good once you take it out?

https://a.co/d/cDjEC8E

Thanks for your help @RONOTHAN##and @YuaI just bought another one. I don't think the preinstalled one was supposed to come out. The store that I went to had a similar Motherboard and it wasn't nearly as hard to remove it. 

What I need help with rn

Spoiler

Best pc guides