Does a laptop ram need to have similar MHz Ram

BBeyond

Budget (including currency): $90NZD or less

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Red Dead Redemption 2, Grand Theft Auto V, Horizon Zero Dawn

Other details Currently I have a ASUS TUF Gaming FX505DD Laptop, I have a ddr4 2400MHz 16gb Ram Stick on 1 of 2 slots

I was planning to purchase another ram stick and came up with this (Link)

And I was just curious if there was any risk on installing this to my laptop.

They both have different Memory Speeds, and i'm not sure if their similar brands

IMG20231121180431.jpg

34 minutes ago, BBeyond said:

Budget (including currency): $90NZD or less

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Red Dead Redemption 2, Grand Theft Auto V, Horizon Zero Dawn

Other details Currently I have a ASUS TUF Gaming FX505DD Laptop, I have a ddr4 2400MHz 16gb Ram Stick on 1 of 2 slots

I was planning to purchase another ram stick and came up with this (Link)

And I was just curious if there was any risk on installing this to my laptop.

They both have different Memory Speeds, and i'm not sure if their similar brands

IMG20231121180431.jpg

In my experience no, but it will likely run faster RAM at the slower speed.

I think I upgraded mine to 3200MT but it still runs 2400MT like the original RAM.

Although I wouldn't like to say how it works mixing different speeds/timings, I specifically bought a matched pair.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz) WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz)

Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Some laptops will only run if you have the correct speed and size combination, others just let you do whatever you want. If you have the ability to easily return the ram, get faster ram. If you can't return ram easily, get the matching speed, you won't see a crazy difference.

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming