Remote power on options for whitebox server?

ipkpjersi
Go to solution Solved by ipkpjersi,

I found an option, it's kind of not ideal but at least it works.

I tested out Power On By RTC but it seems like that's not a great option, it looks like it only supports a specific date or every day, but not every Saturday for example. So I looked into Wake-on-LAN for my LAN ports on my two motherboards and it seems like it did work. I'm not sure of Power On By PCI-E/PCI is required for Wake-on-LAN but I enabled it anyway, I think it is required.

Basically, I am gonna have to make a script, I will Wake-on-LAN both of my servers, but the second server uses my secondary Internet connection, so I have to automate sending Wake-on-LAN via primary Internet to server 1, then turn off primary Internet connection, turn on secondary Internet connection, send Wake-on-LAN to server 2, turn back on primary Internet and turn off secondary Internet then kill my ssh tunnel and restart it for my socks5 proxy via my primary Internet connection. This seems like it will work.

Yeah my setup is a bit complex, I kinda hate it but I guess at least this should work unless someone has some sort of super magical way of improving this that I didn't consider.

edit: I just tested my script after shutting down both of my servers, and yeah, it works basically seamlessly. Here's an example of it: LwW8N3l.png

Since my script works perfectly and honestly shockingly seamlessly, I'll go ahead and mark this thread as solved. Hopefully someone some day finds this useful.

Hi,

I have a PC setup kinda somewhat similar to Linus. I have a desktop computer (running Ubuntu 22.04) and two whitebox server computers (running Proxmox based on Debian 12), all physically located in my basement with my desk, monitors, keyboard+mouse located 2 floors up in my office room. My desktop has two Internet connections, one primary and one secondary - I use the primary Internet connection 99% of the time as it is FTTH. Each server is attached to one Internet connection. I like to run ZFS scrubs once a week on Saturdays and leave the servers powered off the rest of the week to preserve the hard drives in them and save money on electricity. I have set both servers to power on after AC power loss and I am using wifi smart plugs to toggle the power with the servers shut off (I guess this is S5 power mode?). My server connected to my primary Internet connection using an ASUS X99-M board works perfectly for this.

However, unfortunately, my server connected to my secondary Internet connection uses an ASUS X99 Deluxe U3.1 board and it seems like the power on after AC power loss option only works for when shutting the power supply switch physically off and back on or physically unplugging the PSU and plugging it back in. Since the server using my secondary Internet connection is the one that doesn't power on, if I wanted to use Wake-on-LAN via the 1GbE motherboard port (assuming it works for both or at least one of the 1GbE ports, I think one is a I211 and the other is a I218-V, I'm not sure which one my 1GBE router LAN cable is currently plugged into) I would need to disable my primary Internet connection and enable my secondary Internet connection assuming that Wake-on-LAN would even work in the first place for turning my server on, which isn't ideal. It feels like there must be a better way?

Here are the BIOS settings I have for my X99 Deluxe U3.1 board:

q6AEGf5.png

I am reading conflicting information online about Wake-on-LAN. Ideally I would be able to send a WOL or Magic Packet to my X540-T2 in my server, but I'm not sure if it's supported?

This article says Wake-on-LAN isn't supported on Intel® Ethernet 10-gigabit adapters: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005793/ethernet-products.html

However, we have what appears to be an Intel employee here saying that even if Wake-on-LAN is not supported in the OS, a Magic Packet can still remotely power on the computer if you have the options set in the BIOS: https://community.intel.com/t5/Ethernet-Products/Network-Adapter-X540-T2/m-p/1201363#:~:text=However%2C if your OS does,power up the computer computer. (even though I thought that Wake-on-LAN is essentially a special packet designed to wake/power on a PC?)

I also found this PDF talking about the X540 and it says that it has full wake up support with APM support and Magic Packet wake-up as well. So does the X540-T2 support Wake-on-LAN and/or "Magic Packet" or not, is there a definitive answer?

I am very confused. What are my options here, does anyone have any recommendations for remote power on options for my whitebox server?

Thank you for taking the time to read my long post, I'm sorry it ended up being much longer than I intended.

AMD Ryzen 9 5900x | ASUS RTX 4070 TUF 12GB GDDR6X | 32GB DDR4 CL22 3200MHz ECC | WD Black SN770 2TB SSD | 6x6TB WD Red Pro | Ubuntu 22.04

I tested out Power On By RTC but it seems like that's not a great option, it looks like it only supports a specific date or every day, but not every Saturday for example. So I looked into Wake-on-LAN for my LAN ports on my two motherboards and it seems like it did work. I'm not sure of Power On By PCI-E/PCI is required for Wake-on-LAN but I enabled it anyway, I think it is required.

Basically, I am gonna have to make a script, I will Wake-on-LAN both of my servers, but the second server uses my secondary Internet connection, so I have to automate sending Wake-on-LAN via primary Internet to server 1, then turn off primary Internet connection, turn on secondary Internet connection, send Wake-on-LAN to server 2, turn back on primary Internet and turn off secondary Internet then kill my ssh tunnel and restart it for my socks5 proxy via my primary Internet connection. This seems like it will work.

Yeah my setup is a bit complex, I kinda hate it but I guess at least this should work unless someone has some sort of super magical way of improving this that I didn't consider.

edit: I just tested my script after shutting down both of my servers, and yeah, it works basically seamlessly. Here's an example of it: LwW8N3l.png

Since my script works perfectly and honestly shockingly seamlessly, I'll go ahead and mark this thread as solved. Hopefully someone some day finds this useful.

AMD Ryzen 9 5900x | ASUS RTX 4070 TUF 12GB GDDR6X | 32GB DDR4 CL22 3200MHz ECC | WD Black SN770 2TB SSD | 6x6TB WD Red Pro | Ubuntu 22.04

3 hours ago, ipkpjersi said:

Sounds like you desperately need a real firewall so you can have two WAN’s live at once, set up policy routing so you can have whichever server use whichever WAN (or setup failover), and then be able to access them both from the same LAN. 

I’d look into pfsense or opnsense… 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

It's true, I could benefit from a real firewall, just like I'd benefit from setting up real access points like some nice Ubiquiti ones. Unfortunately my time and money aren't as unlimited as I'd like them to be, even moving my desktop computer into my basement took a whole weekend last weekend just re-running all those wires and setting that all up. I tend to go with what works well enough for my requirements, even if it's not quite the best setup possible. lol

20 minutes ago, ipkpjersi said:

It's true, I could benefit from a real firewall, just like I'd benefit from setting up real access points like some nice Ubiquiti ones. Unfortunately my time and money aren't as unlimited as I'd like them to be, even moving my desktop computer into my basement took a whole weekend last weekend just re-running all those wires and setting that all up. I tend to go with what works well enough for my requirements, even if it's not quite the best setup possible. lol

Not sure what all you will want to do remotely with your server but I use a pikvm in my home lab servers to be able to fully control them remotely like ipmi.