New whole home network setup - How's it look/suggestions?

acarney

Having a new home built. I'm past the phase of easily being able to add network runs, but this is what I have so far...

Low voltage panel is in mechanical room

CAT6 run to the following rooms; all bedrooms, ceiling of hall closet and living room, garage, outside soffit area near rear door and outside soffit near front door. Conduit in wall in mechanical room, one of the bed rooms that could be an office, and master bedroom for future fiber optic runs. Coaxial cable to mechanical room, all bedrooms, and living room.

Planned Hardware in mechanical room:

1x NEMA 5-20R dedicated circuit

1x NEMA 5-15R shared but designed for cable modem

36U open frame server rack

Ubiquiti Dream Machine Special Edition (1U)

CX4712 Case - Intel based NAS/BluRay media server (4U)

Future space for rack mount VR/gaming computer connected via FiberCommand (likely 4U)

Rack shelf where I'll place a few tower style UPS devices [already own some & cheaper than rack mount style] (likely 7U worth of space)

Planned deployed hardware around the home:

2x U6 Enterprise ceiling mount APs powered via PoE+

3x G5 Professional Cameras powered via PoE

1x G4 Doorbell (the G5 would have a blind spot for packages)

3x AppleTVs

2x Laptop

2x iPhone

1x Wireless printer

1x Projector probably powered initially via an AppleTV and Plex or JellyFin and then later on with FiberCommend HDMI

1x iPad Mini dedicated as a display for camera output, either with a dedicated table top dock or wall mounted in the hallway and PoE+ powered (will need another injection or an eventual expansion to an Enterprise 24 PoE for 2.5GbE)

That's my initial list and in the next one to two year planned future. Ideally I want enough rack room for dedicated gaming computer with VR. FiberCommand USB and HDMI over fiber for control and display and single cable VR support. A robust media server for Blu-ray ingestion and playback to a 4K projector and TVs or other devices around the house. Probably future Sonos amp or another audio device to power patio, kitchen/living room, and bedroom speakers. Will initially have Spectrum internet coming into the mechanical room for my modem but also wired for future fiber optic service.

Any general feedback or suggestions for avoiding issues? I love very slick integrated solutions. I want this to be powerful enough for a power user but also simple/dumb enough for my parent or someone to pick up and use. I want heat generating devices out of the main living spaces. 

Info on the iPad display;

I plan to use hardware from iPort to turn the iPad into a connected and wirelessly charged display. Then guided access on the iPad to keep it locked on one App or homekit or something for video feeds. Very expensive solution for the iPad case, wall mount, and table top stand (like $800+), but it'll allow a very low profile integrated wall mount in the hallway that can be powered via PoE+ and will wirelessly power the iPad when it's in the case and mounted on the wall mount. Then you can just pick it up and carry it around and toss it on the table stop stand where it will also wirelessly charge. Initially the goal is for video camera feeds but depending on the software package I can find I would love to also have HVAC control and any smart devices (blinds maybe) all from a single screen.

https://www.iportproducts.com/connectpro

I know networking doesn't need electrical boxes, but installed electrical boxes in the ceiling for my APs (even low voltage rings I guess would do the same thing, but I prefer boxes). It's made swapping out APs easy, no new holes in my ceiling, as I'm not mounting anything directly to the drywall.  The Ubquiti 6E mounting plates already have holes in them too that will line up with an electrical box, I have two of those in my house.  Just a thought. 

4 minutes ago, OhioYJ said:

I know networking doesn't need electrical boxes, but installed electrical boxes in the ceiling for my APs (even low voltage rings I guess would do the same thing, but I prefer boxes). It's made swapping out APs easy, no new holes in my ceiling, as I'm not mounting anything directly to the drywall.  The Ubquiti 6E mounting plates already have holes in them too that will line up with an electrical box, I have two of those in my house.  Just a thought. 

Interesting. I might reach out to the low voltage guy and see how they installed them. I know they'll be flush mount receptacles like you would have in an office or bedroom or something, but I'm not sure if they'll actually have a 1G box behind it or something. I'm actually a little concerned about that for the G5 cameras... I'm not sure if they can accept a thin cable from the side or if they must be flush mounted with the cable coming from the wall direction behind the mount...

9 hours ago, acarney said:

Interesting. I might reach out to the low voltage guy and see how they installed them. I know they'll be flush mount receptacles like you would have in an office or bedroom or something, but I'm not sure if they'll actually have a 1G box behind it or something. I'm actually a little concerned about that for the G5 cameras... I'm not sure if they can accept a thin cable from the side or if they must be flush mounted with the cable coming from the wall direction behind the mount...

I just knew from the beginning I would be swapping out APs as technology changed and such. I know many just say to mount with drywall anchors. I figured the odds of them sharing bolt patterns wasn't high.

Mine are mounted flush to the ceiling, here is my original U6 lites mounted:

pfsense6.jpg

They weren't designed to be mounted to a 1 gang box, so I had to modify the mount a bit, but it just meant drilling a couple holes:

u6enterprise2.jpg

My U6 Enterprise APs, I bolted the plates straight to the box. Holes in those plates lined right up.

u6enterprise3.jpg

As for your cameras, mine were easier, as they are Wifi, but perhaps you could use a couple of my ideas? I've used a couple different mounting methods over the years now. They both just use a blank plate. Many cameras have a magnetic base for those I've used extra washers glued behind the plate to make it "magnetic" enough for the camera to stick. However this last time I wanted an actual mounting screw, so I used a rivnut (rivet nut) to actually give me something to bolt the camera to. You could pretty easily drill in extra hole and add a grommet perhaps for a lan cable? A little gasket or silicone would make it fairly weather resistant if it were outside?

cameramounts1.jpg