1 gig internet but 40 ping in Fortnite

Snakeyezz

I have very fast internet (1 gig) but my ping in Fortnite is the same as when I had 80mbs as my internet speed. Why is my ping the same with 12 times faster internet speeds?

Ping time is your round trip from you to the server and back. Speeds have very little to nothing in play with this. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

There is no direct connection between the speed of your connection and the latency. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

Typically higher bandwidth doesn't mean low pings. Games like fortnite use little bandwidth, so the extra bandwidth doesn't really help here.

Sometimes the issue is on your end. Try restarting your router, and plugging directly to the modem to test if your equipment is adding latency.

Often the latency is determined by the ISP, and how they connect to the gameserver. You may be able to pick other server loction is the wrong loction is auto selected, but often there isn't much you can do.

Your ping is not going to change with your upgraded internet plan. There is no difference between 80mbps or a 1000mbps. Ping is a different measure all together.

When I do a speed test it shows that my ping is 17. With my old internet it said it was in the 40s so shouldn't it be 17 in a game?

3 minutes ago, Snakeyezz said:

When I do a speed test it shows that my ping is 17. With my old internet it said it was in the 40s so shouldn't it be 17 in a game?

Since the servers used in the speed test and the game as differnet it takes different amounts of time, thus a different ping. 

Speedtest isn't pinging the Fortnite server.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

The speed test and your game are hosted on two different servers. If it's a longer trip to the game server, you'll have a higher ping.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

37 minutes ago, Snakeyezz said:

Then you've confirmed at least your-end HAS improved.

The game could be mis-reporting, different server to what you were using before, issues with how the games protocol works, CPU bottle-necked on the client you are playing on.  There's any number of reasons, most which you have no control over.

If you're playing over WiFi is a big one as latency can vary a lot.  I wouldn't be surprised if certain kinds of traffic performs worse over WiFi than others.  For one thing games often use UDP and calculate how long it takes the game server to respond, whereas a normal ping will use ICMP and is only checking how quickly the network stack can respond, which is always going to be faster.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz) WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz)

Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7