HTPC build for NAS, Media Server, and Gaming? (and SFF)

estrasser

Budget (including currency): $2000 USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Jellyfin / PLEX. Windows (for occasional gaming). Would like to build all of this from something like Proxmox for Homelab work and testing playground.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc):

This will be connected to an LG C9 TV and only a few feet away from my router, and gaming desk. I have a Gigabyte 2080Ti laying around that I could use in the build, but I could also upgrade my PC's Gigabyte 3090 to a 40 series and move the 3090 in to this build since it's such a good card for 4K gaming.

Bit of a rant here... I'm in an apartment so I don't have a ton of room, but since I work in IT I really want to build a homelab for me to create environments and do some self-learning away from work. I figured the best way to do this would be at least to start by building a NAS, and rather than using a dedicated software like TrueNAS, I'd like to try implementing a Hypervisor like Proxmox and create containers.

Since I'm limited on my space I figured building this all as an HTPC would be the most ideal route. I love SFF builds but figured this is too much to fit in to an SFF chassis. Ultimately it would be amazing to have this machine run as a NAS / Homelab / Media Server 90% of the time, then on occasion play Steam games from it on my TV with a wireless keyboard and mouse. (Or maybe even VR gaming in the future if I ever get a headset)

How do I fit all of these in to one build? Is it even possible? Where do I start? The NAS and Media Server are the 2 more important parts of this I want to achieve as I'd like to start backing up my own data and be able to watch shows that streaming services don't offer..

Can't wait for the feedback! Thanks!

36 minutes ago, estrasser said:

This will be connected to an LG C9 TV and only a few feet away from my router, and gaming desk. I have a Gigabyte 2080Ti laying around that I could use in the build, but I could also upgrade my PC's Gigabyte 3090 to a 40 series and move the 3090 in to this build since it's such a good card for 4K gaming.

Or, you just use one of the display outputs on your main gaming pc which is a few feet away anyway and plug it into your TV.
You sell old GPUs that you don't have a use for.
And instead of trying to cram high end GPUs in an SFF, you do something like this:

Way more space and power efficient, you really don't need the raw power to run a NAS / Media server... a modern-ish CPU (with an iGPU) will have HW accelerated encoding and decoding for relevant codecs. Even a mini pc built around i3-9100T will be more than enough for:

36 minutes ago, estrasser said:

The NAS and Media Server are the 2 more important parts of this I want to achieve

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet