Fan Controllers without a tach wire - in what way is that bad for PWM fans?

RevGAM
1 minute ago, manikyath said:

arduino, a potentiometer, and either an LCD module or 7 segment display module.

potentiometer goes on analog input, tach signal goes on an interrupt pin, PWM signal goes to a PWM output, LCD module goes to I2C interface.

it is extremely trivial to make your own fan controller to do this, given your rather specific needs... and given the scale of your testing you mentioned last time i've seen you around... spending an afternoon to figure out an arduino and some libraries should be trivial if you can then make a device that can do your fan controlling.聽

I would love to. At my age, I'm afraid I'm going to need some assistance, cuz it seems like my brain needs a reboot sometimes. 馃槈 If you can direct me to specific tutorials, that would be much appreciated.

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 馃槈 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.馃お馃槀

10 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

I would love to. At my age, I'm afraid I'm going to need some assistance, cuz it seems like my brain needs a reboot sometimes. 馃槈 If you can direct me to specific tutorials, that would be much appreciated.

basicly, controlling PWM output with a potentiometer is as simple as this example code:

https://support.arduino.cc/hc/en-us/articles/9350537961500-Use-PWM-output-with-Arduino

as for LCD stuff, this is a fairly decent guide for the most common LCD out there:

https://projecthub.arduino.cc/arduino_uno_guy/i2c-liquid-crystal-displays-5eb615

EDIT, i forgot about reading the tach signal.. but glory be you, there is a library for that:

https://www.arduino.cc/reference/en/libraries/ppm-reader/

6 minutes ago, manikyath said:

basicly, controlling PWM output with a potentiometer is as simple as this example code:

https://support.arduino.cc/hc/en-us/articles/9350537961500-Use-PWM-output-with-Arduino

as for LCD stuff, this is a fairly decent guide for the most common LCD out there:

https://projecthub.arduino.cc/arduino_uno_guy/i2c-liquid-crystal-displays-5eb615

I'm going to need more tutorials - I don't fully understand those two. Where would I attach the pot?

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 馃槈 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

If you'd rather just spend $75, you can pickup a Aquacomputer OCTO 8-channel controller. Full PWM with RPM feedback plus 25W of power per channel, among a host of other features. Talks to the Aquasuite software for control. I can't vouch for how well it holds up these days but it was pretty nifty back in the day.

2 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

If you'd rather just spend $75, you can pickup a Aquacomputer OCTO 8-channel controller. Full PWM with RPM feedback plus 25W of power per channel, among a host of other features. Talks to the Aquasuite software for control.聽

Yeah, Thrasher pointed that out before, but I need to be able to run it without relying on a computer for display and control.