Looking to upgrade my CPU, any recommendations?

obieza
Go to solution Solved by jaslion,
22 minutes ago, obieza said:

My current budget is ~$300.

Yeah so on the cheapest an msi ab650

And well new a b550 + ryzen 5600 is quite literally in budget

Current specs:
Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4S
RAM: 2x8 3200MHz DDR4
GPU: NVIDIA RTX 2060 Super
CPU: i3-8100
Power supply: Cougar VTE 500W Bronze

Just looking for suggestions on CPUs that match these specs the best. Thanks!

Best CPU you can put in your board (with a BIOS update) is a 9900k. (or 9900KFC or 9900KYS whatever the hell Intel called all of the win-the-silicon-lottery-out-of-the-box, pay extra for 0.1% more overclocking potential special editions of that chip they did.)

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

Depending on the price, your best upgrade options would be the i7 8700(K), the i7 9700(K)(F), or the i9 9900(K)(F)

Generally, high end CPUs for the 300 series motherboards are pretty overpriced for their performance. It may even be cheaper to upgrade to a different platform, like grabbing a used AM4 CPU and motherboard off eBay.

So basically there are 2 worthwhile cpu's for the board the 8700(k) or 9900(k) however both cost A LOT and usually it's far better to just swap to ryzen as an am4 board + 5600 is about 180$ whilst one of those 2 is 150-200$ and not better.

Also you psu is a hazard it can easily kill your system Highly recommend you replace

26 minutes ago, jaslion said:

So basically there are 2 worthwhile cpu's for the board the 8700(k) or 9900(k) however both cost A LOT and usually it's far better to just swap to ryzen as an am4 board + 5600 is about 180$ whilst one of those 2 is 150-200$ and not better.

Also you psu is a hazard it can easily kill your system Highly recommend you replace

What do you mean it can kill my system? Why? I've been using it for a while and there seems to be no issue.

2 hours ago, obieza said:

What do you mean it can kill my system? Why? I've been using it for a while and there seems to be no issue.

It doesn't have any protections about overvoltage, component failiure,... basically if anything goes out of spec it allows it as well as if the outside voltage into the psu goes out of spec it just allows that through.

That and it hard fails when asked too much too long and has no protection about dumping voltage when it does that. It's tier E unit for a reason.

Alright, thanks a lot for the suggestions. If I cannot find an Intel CPU I'll switch to AMD and I will look into a replacement for the PSU thanks so much for letting me know.

On 12/8/2023 at 10:24 PM, jaslion said:

It doesn't have any protections about overvoltage, component failiure,... basically if anything goes out of spec it allows it as well as if the outside voltage into the psu goes out of spec it just allows that through.

That and it hard fails when asked too much too long and has no protection about dumping voltage when it does that. It's tier E unit for a reason.

What are some PSUs you'd recommend?

2 hours ago, obieza said:

What are some PSUs you'd recommend?

Whats ya bduget?

13 hours ago, obieza said:

Alright, thanks a lot for the suggestions. If I cannot find an Intel CPU I'll switch to AMD and I will look into a replacement for the PSU thanks so much for letting me know.

As for cpu's dont overpay anything more than 100 is too much. 100$ already is honestly as for that money you can have a used 3600(x) and board with a smidge of luck.

Basically anything less than 12 threads these days for a upgrade or preferably new system should be avoided.

1 hour ago, jaslion said:

Whats ya bduget?

As for cpu's dont overpay anything more than 100 is too much. 100$ already is honestly as for that money you can have a used 3600(x) and board with a smidge of luck.

Basically anything less than 12 threads these days for a upgrade or preferably new system should be avoided.

22 minutes ago, obieza said:

Yeah so on the cheapest an msi ab650

And well new a b550 + ryzen 5600 is quite literally in budget