Jump to content

Optiplex 3080 SFF Ram Issue

CrystalDawnFog

Ok so I am stumped on this one

I am using this computer as a windows plex server and i bought an extra 8gb stick but the computer will only boot with one stick. it dont matter wich stick or which slot i put it in it will boot if i use only one of them but it will not boot with both. When I try it will turn on then the power led will flash yellow or orange then shut down. The ram sticks are identical spec wise the only differences is one of them is a darker green color. The motherboard supports up to 64gb. The only thing i can think of is since it has a lousy 200w powersupply that is not upgradable due to the propritary motherboard (6 pin power instead of the normal 24 and 2 4 pin cpu power) and i doubt a normal powersupply would fit the case the current one is very narrow and it bearly fits

 

Do you think the motherboard is broke and thats why it wont boot with 2 sticks or is it a what i suspect a power issue and there is not enough power to boot 2 sticks? If it was a ram compatability issue then i would think the problem stick wouldnt boot at all but it does when you use 1 stick

Lian LI 215 CASE

MSI Micro ATX MOTHERBOARD

12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12500T   2.00 GHz

AMD RX 6600 GPU

32 GB OF  DDR4 RAM

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you tried a bios reset after installing both sticks of ram? Office machines can be really picky with their hardware changes. We use HP prodesks at my workplace and adding ram or a video card to any of them results in the machine running through its pull diagnostics tools before booting. Resetting the bios usually makes it go a little bit faster.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, 8tg said:

Have you tried a bios reset after installing both sticks of ram? Office machines can be really picky with their hardware changes. We use HP prodesks at my workplace and adding ram or a video card to any of them results in the machine running through its pull diagnostics tools before booting. Resetting the bios usually makes it go a little bit faster.

Thanks for your reply. I dobut thats the issue since it wont even post with 2 sticks for me to even get into bios and reset it. 

Lian LI 215 CASE

MSI Micro ATX MOTHERBOARD

12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12500T   2.00 GHz

AMD RX 6600 GPU

32 GB OF  DDR4 RAM

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

What's the specs of the two soDIMMs you're attempting to use?

 

I've done a few RAM upgrades on optiplex 3080's.

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Agall said:

What's the specs of the two soDIMMs you're attempting to use?

 

I've done a few RAM upgrades on optiplex 3080's.

Crucial CT8G4DFRA32A Memory Module - Picture 1 of 2

Lian LI 215 CASE

MSI Micro ATX MOTHERBOARD

12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12500T   2.00 GHz

AMD RX 6600 GPU

32 GB OF  DDR4 RAM

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, CrystalDawnFog said:

Crucial CT8G4DFRA32A Memory Module - Picture 1 of 2

So this is one of the Micro ATX Optiplexes, a 3070? Dell's naming convention isn't consistent, but usually the 3080s are the super SFF ones with SODIMMs and the 3070s are the mATX with full DIMMs. I've done RAM upgrades on both in the last couple of years, but its an important distinction.

 

That's a strange DIMM, since 8GB 3200MT/sec at CL22 is a really poor quality.  I wonder if its trying to force lower timings on that stick that it can't run, since 3200MT/sec is more like CL14 or CL16 than CL22.

 

What about the other DIMM?

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, CrystalDawnFog said:

Thanks for your reply. I dobut thats the issue since it wont even post with 2 sticks for me to even get into bios and reset it. 

After you install the ram, Hardware bios reset, unplug the machine, remove the cmos battery, and spam press the power button to drain the power from the system.

Wait a minute and then put the cmos battery back in then plug it in, see if that helps.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Agall said:

So this is one of the Micro ATX Optiplexes, a 3070? Dell's naming convention isn't consistent, but usually the 3080s are the super SFF ones with SODIMMs and the 3070s are the mATX with full DIMMs. I've done RAM upgrades on both in the last couple of years, but its an important distinction.

 

That's a strange DIMM, since 8GB 3200MT/sec at CL22 is a really poor quality.  I wonder if its trying to force lower timings on that stick that it can't run, since 3200MT/sec is more like CL14 or CL16 than CL22.

 

What about the other DIMM?

The other is the exact same just a darker green color cant take a pic of it cause its currently in the machine

Lian LI 215 CASE

MSI Micro ATX MOTHERBOARD

12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12500T   2.00 GHz

AMD RX 6600 GPU

32 GB OF  DDR4 RAM

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, 8tg said:

After you install the ram, Hardware bios reset, unplug the machine, remove the cmos battery, and spam press the power button to drain the power from the system.

Wait a minute and then put the cmos battery back in then plug it in, see if that helps.

Totally didnt think about this ill try it 

Lian LI 215 CASE

MSI Micro ATX MOTHERBOARD

12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12500T   2.00 GHz

AMD RX 6600 GPU

32 GB OF  DDR4 RAM

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, 8tg said:

After you install the ram, Hardware bios reset, unplug the machine, remove the cmos battery, and spam press the power button to drain the power from the system.

Wait a minute and then put the cmos battery back in then plug it in, see if that helps.

Ok I tried this and no luck. I think I found the problem however when i do one stick neither of the sticks will boot with the second slot and i get 2 amber lights and 4 white lights and the manual says memory failure. I think the second slot is bad. Both modules work in the first slot. Anything else to try or should i sulk it up as a bad slot at this point?

Lian LI 215 CASE

MSI Micro ATX MOTHERBOARD

12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12500T   2.00 GHz

AMD RX 6600 GPU

32 GB OF  DDR4 RAM

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Agall said:

So this is one of the Micro ATX Optiplexes, a 3070? Dell's naming convention isn't consistent, but usually the 3080s are the super SFF ones with SODIMMs and the 3070s are the mATX with full DIMMs. I've done RAM upgrades on both in the last couple of years, but its an important distinction.

 

That's a strange DIMM, since 8GB 3200MT/sec at CL22 is a really poor quality.  I wonder if its trying to force lower timings on that stick that it can't run, since 3200MT/sec is more like CL14 or CL16 than CL22.

 

What about the other DIMM?

Everything about this computer is weird i could write a novel. But I think the 8080 Tiny FF uses sodims the SFF and Tower uses DIMS  but anyway while doing a bios reset I think I found the problem however when i do one stick neither of the sticks will boot with the second slot and i get 2 amber lights and 4 white lights and the manual says memory failure. I think the second slot is bad. Both modules work in the first slot. Anything else to try or should i sulk it up as a bad slot at this point?

Lian LI 215 CASE

MSI Micro ATX MOTHERBOARD

12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12500T   2.00 GHz

AMD RX 6600 GPU

32 GB OF  DDR4 RAM

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 12/8/2023 at 2:15 PM, CrystalDawnFog said:

Everything about this computer is weird i could write a novel. But I think the 8080 Tiny FF uses sodims the SFF and Tower uses DIMS  but anyway while doing a bios reset I think I found the problem however when i do one stick neither of the sticks will boot with the second slot and i get 2 amber lights and 4 white lights and the manual says memory failure. I think the second slot is bad. Both modules work in the first slot. Anything else to try or should i sulk it up as a bad slot at this point?

Outside of trying another kit that's a proper 2 DIMM kit, likely not.

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×