Laser or Optical Mouse for Gaming?

Worth

Laser or Optical Mouse for Gaming? Is hardware acceleration actually a thing anymore?

System Specs - CPU: i7 4770K - RAM: 8GB(2x4GB) Vengeance Pro - Motherboard: Maximus VI Gene - Case: Modded PowerMac G5 - CPU Cooler: H100i - PSU: AX860i - SSD: Samsung 840 Series 120GB and Kingston V300 120GB - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - Graphics Card: 2x GTX 780 - Case Fans: SP120s and Spectre 140s - Headphones: HD700, Alpha Dog, SE215

Sony A7R w/ Zeiss 55mm F1.8

Laser .

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

I don't notice any acceleration issues with my mouse. I have acceleration turned off, but can it still be present?

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Optical, if you're playing serious the acceleration can drive you nuts, especially when optical sensors have almost the same DPI nowadays and we all have good surfaces so there really isn't a reason to get laser now.

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

depends on the mouse really. Not all laser mice are created equal. Last 2 laser mice I used are the xtd and g502. Both passed my personal acceleration tests. I don't think the avg gamer notices to much of a difference with modern mice. 

optical because lasers have acceleration issues. i have used a laser for a while and it was terrible, couldnt get used to it at all

depends on the mouse really. Not all laser mice are created equal. Last 2 laser mice I used are the xtd and g502. Both passed my personal acceleration tests. I don't think the avg gamer notices to much of a difference with modern mice. 

The G502 is optical, not laser.

OP, so long as they are both equal quality, there is no difference between the two. A quality laser mouse will not have acceleration issues.

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3591491194

The G502 is optical, not laser.

OP, so long as they are both equal quality, there is no difference between the two. A quality laser mouse will not have acceleration issues.

I know its not optical which is why I tested it for acceleration... :huh:

I know its not optical which is why I tested it for acceleration... :huh:

Yes, it is Optical, no matter what nonsense you want to claim.

"Fine tune the optical sensor in Proteus Core to your playing surface for better accuracy, precision and responsiveness. A quick tuning process, and you are battle ready."

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

OK OK infrared is optical. 

The LED light being on the infrared wavelength does not make it a laser. But continue to act as if you know more than Logitech about their own product.

The LED light being on the infrared wavelength does not make it a laser. But continue to act as if you know more than Logitech about their own product.

actually when I was talking to a rep at pax they woudlnt give a straight answer, they give some run around answer. Brings it down to getting a couple, testing, taking them apart and seeing what makes it tick. Either way its a good mouse, using it now and love it. xtd is now my back up. 

I didn't realize how much I was fighting laser mice until I switched back to LED.

Optical all the way. The only real reason to go laser is if the feature you want is not available in an optical mouse (most MMO mice are laser only, for example). Laser also works on most surfaces where optical doesn't, but a mousepad should be used always for better tracking anyway. Not all optical sensors are flawless, though, so a site like http://www.overclock.net/t/854100/gaming-mouse-sensor-list comes in handy when checking which sensor a mouse uses. Currently the "best" sensors are A3090 (or variants like S3095), PWM3310H and  PMW3366DM-VWOU.

Optical all the way. The only real reason to go laser is if the feature you want is not available in an optical mouse (most MMO mice are laser only, for example). Laser also works on most surfaces where optical doesn't, but a mousepad should be used always for better tracking anyway. Not all optical sensors are flawless, though, so a site like http://www.overclock.net/t/854100/gaming-mouse-sensor-list comes in handy when checking which sensor a mouse uses. Currently the "best" sensors are A3090 (or variants like S3095), PWM3310H and  PMW3366DM-VWOU.

I started writing a reply and realized I was basically adding nothing you hadn't already said. :)

The only thing I can add is that not noticing the flaws with laser sensors isn't the same as not being affected by the flaws with laser sensors. If you're moving your mouse a thousand or more pixels in under half a second, it's reasonable to say you wouldn't notice it drift the few extra pixels that might cause you to miss/misclick. There's also a mental thing, because if you know your mouse is capable of tracking errors and start losing, there's always the question of "was that down to me, or my equipment? Were there misclicks there that wouldn't have happened with a better mouse?". It might not sound like much, but when you start to get frustrated when losing (and I think we've all been there), it's the kind of thing that can worm its way into your head and distract you.

Optical. :P

System 1: Thermaltake Element Q - Thermaltake 220W SFX - Asus AT5IONT-I mini-ITX - Intel® Atom™ D525 onboard 1.8GHz Dual-Core HT - Integrated NVIDIA® ION™ - 2x 2GB Kingston DDR3 - Samsung 120GB 840 Series - Scythe Kama Rack 3.5 - Asus DVD-RW

System 2: Thermaltake Element Q - Thermaltake 220W SFX - Asus E2KM1I-DELUXE mini-ITX - AMD E2-2000 onboard 1.75GHz Dual-Core - Integrated AMD® Radeon HD 7340 - 2x 4GB Kingston DDR3 - Samsung 120GB 840 Series - Scythe Kama Rack 3.5 - Asus DVD-RW

Building: Bitfenix Prodigy Black - Corsair AX860i - Asus Maximus VII Impact - Corsair Hydro Series H100i - Intel® Core™ i7 4790K - Asus Matrix Platinum GTX 980 4GB - Corsair 16GB Dominator Platinum 2x 8GB DDR3 2400MHz CL10 - Samsung 1TB EVO 840 Series

Been using a laser (SteelSeries Sensei for more than a year now, and I can't wait to get back to optical and see how much better it really will feel again.

I love StarCraft

Intel i5 4670 @3.4Ghz - Gigabyte G1 Gaming Gtx 970 @ 1542Mhz - 120GB Kingston SSD - 1TB Seagate HDD - Gigabyte B85-H3D - 8 GB 1333Mhz Kingston RAM - Azza Toledo 301 - SteelSeries Sensei/Logitech G400s - Razer Blackwidow 2013 Ultimate - Sennheiser HD 598 - Zalman Zm-mic 1
 http://www.last.fm/user/thalandros 
http://www.mysteamgauge.com/account?username=76561198044810844