Help picking a case for a DIY home NAS

nomnaut

I’ve had a need for a home NAS for my family for quite awhile. I have bits and pieces from old builds lying around that I’d like to cobble together for a home server. It has two purposes only: Plex server and steam server.

I have 4 HDDs 8 TB that I plan on putting in a raid 5 array (1 parity drive for 24 GB of storage), 1 256GB M.2 for the OS (truenas scale probably), and 1 2TB M.2 for the raid cache (I think? I’m still learning if that’s a thing I should set up). I already have an i7-8700k and a Z370 ATX motherboard, 2x8GB vengeance ram and a 750W ATX PSU. I also have a noctua U12S (er, model?) and an evga 280mm cpu cooler that I won’t be using; air cooling will clearly be enough.

While these aren’t ideal, it’s what I have and it should work. I plan on streaming one 4K stream max (maybe two someday, but if one is throttled, that’s fine).

Anyway, the one thing I’m missing is a case to fit this all in. I have a high white Corsair tower available, but it’s massive and ugly and I tossed the HDD internal tower tray long ago. I also have an NR200 but it’s an SFF case and my components won’t fit.

My ideal would be the smallest case that will fit an ATX motherboard, ATX PSU and 4 HDDs (with no GPU since I’ll be using intel’s igpu). Something around 40L or less.

So far, I’ve liked the Qube 500 and the Fractal Node 605 (if I can find one). I also considered the Corsair Q500L, but I’m not sure I can fit four drives (though I think I saw a thingiverse 3D print that acts as a drive case for the Q300, that may work in the Q500L). Maybe even a Zalman i4 ATX Mid-Tower.

Are either of these good choices? Doesn’t anyone have other suggestions?

Thanks for listening.

9 minutes ago, Sjaakie said:

Fractal Design CORE 2500 looks nice for that.

This is also a possibility. If Fractal Node 605 is indeed a possibility, I might opt for that just by virtue of its smaller size (and presumably lower price), though that's a big "if".

I'd except the 605 to be more expensive, Core 2500 is pretty cheap.

Node 804 is also great if you're ok with swapping the board for a micro-atx.

2 hours ago, nomnaut said:

1 2TB M.2 for the raid cache (I think? I’m still learning if that’s a thing I should set up)

You should do some research on how caching works on Truenas. You're usually better off adding more RAM than a cache drive. Plus, your use case is pretty low performance so it probably wouldn't mater. You'd may want more RAM for services anyway.

As for cases, check out pcpartpicker. You can filter by size and drive quantity.