So... i let an idiot use my PC

Neft

Alright, so i let someone i know use my streaming/gaming pc for a bit, they told me it was running slow.

my pc that boots in 10 seconds and can run everything on ultra is going slow, im like ok, maybe they just have an obscene amount of stuff open or maybe a part is failing out etc...

then they tell me its taking 5-10minutes to restart...

so im like ok, ill look at it in a bit and now im left with an actual mess on my hands.

the ONLY drive thats being read apparently is my HDD, my SSD isn't even appearing in my bios and when i go to check... its been partitioned, half of it is labeled as a new drive, the other half is WIPED and set to fat32, oh right and im locked out of it, i cant alter it, i cant pull up its sec tab, its listing its space as unassigned, like how the hell do you actually do this?

and im at work now so i wont even have time to fix this or attempt to + get all my games re-downloaded before the weekend.

if anyone knows how to actually fix this, advice greatly appreciated.

ik its risky, but i'd also be willing to pay someone if they are able to fix it and get it back to booting in 10seconds.

file attached for what im dealing with

image_2023-12-06_151307401.png

Honestly wipe and start over. This person fucked with the pc a lot so who knows what else is going on.

Just get a usb stick, put windows on it with the media creation tool, delete all partitions on all drives and install windows on the ssd.

https://www.microsoft.com/software-download/windows11

16 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Honestly wipe and start over. This person fucked with the pc a lot so who knows what else is going on.

Just get a usb stick, put windows on it with the media creation tool, delete all partitions on all drives and install windows on the ssd.

https://www.microsoft.com/software-download/windows11

i cant delete the partitions, it fails every time i try, it actually has me locked out of messing with it

Just now, Neft said:

i cant delete the partitions, it fails every time i try, it actually has me locked out of messing with it

In the windows installer?

Just now, jaslion said:

In the windows installer?

doesn't work

Ouch!

Okay, there are two things you can try.

Try assigning a new drive letter to your drive using diskpart. I don't know why, but usually all the options are grayed out on the UI but commands always work.

second, try scanning it with chkdsk, the drive needs a drive letter first for this to work.

open a command prompt with admin privileges.

type diskpart. This will open another window. Switch to that one.

type: List disk; this will show a list of all the connected disks. The number is your disk identifier.

Now type: select disk <# of your drive>. You can verify if this is the correct drive by executing the command "List partitions" and making sure it is not your main drive.

After you select it, type: assign letter=Z, for example, Z being your new drive letter.

exit disk part.

If you get this far, all that's left is to run: chkdsk /f /r Z

Qoute my reply if you want me to answer back. 

Just want to say, this is not mere stupidity. You don't do this by accident. This was on purpose, and malicious. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

its so weird that your recovery partition and EFI partition have letters assigned. That is why they show up in Explorer. I don't know what could have led to this. Malware? That someone you lent your computer too might have stupidly downloaded something nasty.

You can use similar steps as I have explained with diskpart, but instead of "assign letter=Z", you do type "remove letter=Z".

Qoute my reply if you want me to answer back. 

I agree with @Middcore. This was, without a doubt, malicious. You do not just do these things by accident

AMD 3600x, 16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL14, GTX 1080, and Ungodly Amounts of Storage

If the SSD cannot be formatted even outside of the OS, it might have just died on him.Then he panicked and did a ham-fisted recovery using the HDD, maybe even partitioning it to look like it still has two drives.

2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Can you show a picture of the error?

unfortunately no, but it finally worked in disk management assigning a new drive letter to it, not sure if it was setting my bios settings to default or if it was the 5 restarts i did trying to get it to work, but it finally let me set it as a new drive letter.

but every time i tried even this it'd just say something like "you don't have access to make this change" same thing when trying to open the drive to see if something was on it, it'd just come back saying i needed to change its security settings and it wouldn't have a sec tab.

i mean when it comes to drive partitions etc... i do not mess with them unless i absolutely have to.

i worked on this trying to figure it out and doing research for like 3 hours before work.

on lunch now, ill make a flashdrive this weekend for fixing everything.

thanks everyone

1 hour ago, Middcore said:

Just want to say, this is not mere stupidity. You don't do this by accident. This was on purpose, and malicious. 

normally id disagree, but in this case, most likely.

im just glad he didn't do something entirely beyond my knowledge... cuz like im a hobbyist man, there's a lot i don't know.

but each time something new happens i try to fix it before resorting to buying new parts, i learn more and im able to help more people.

He will get what he deserves :)

I sent you a DM.

For anyone else that has a situation like this, here's some cliff notes on what you should do:

1. If you really need data off the computer, save the files you need to an external drive or USB and scan them with your antivirus. Also, upload them to VirusTotal if they don't have private information.
  2. If this is your only working computer with internet, go to the website for your motherboard model >> look for a tab that says something like 'Drivers' or a 'Support' tab >> download the latest network interface driver >> save it to a USB or external hard drive or something.  This will make sure you can get internet when you reinstall Windows. ⚠️ Some network cards or Wi-Fi cards will not work when you first install Windows, so having the driver saved to a USB or external HDD will allow you to install the driver and get internet working to complete everything else.
  3. Update/flash your UEFI from your motherboard website (aka flash the BIOS). Even if it's the same version you already have, flash it. This should wipe any UEFI/BIOS-level malware if it's not nation-state-level stuff.
  4. 🛑 Did you read step 2 😁? Okay... back to updating the UEFI, boot into the UEFI and use the secure erase function to wipe all drives completely. (this is why you should make sure you read step 2.) This should get rid of any malicious programs, rootkits, and advanced persistent threat stuff that could be hiding in partition tables etc.
  5. Reinstall your operating system.
  6. Go to the website for your motherboard model >> look for a tab that says something like 'Drivers' or a 'Support' tab >> download the latest drivers for your motherboard (don't install anything yet, just download it all)
  7. If you have an AMD machine, download the latest chipset drivers directly from AMD
  8. Install all the things starting with the chipset drivers

There is approximately a 117% chance I edited my post.

Please refresh before you reply.

Did a post solve your issue?  Please mark it as the solution!