Please help me find a replacement for my Galaxy S9

SecretX

Hi guys, what's up?

I recently started looking for a replacement for my Galaxy S9, but had some issues finding a replacement that doesn't look like a downgrade. I am a bit outdated when it comes to knowing every model of every brand, so I would love some help with that.

I am looking for a phone that has:

• Excellent screen (especially great white fidelity, like S9's screen does): I watch and read a lot of things on my phone, this is very important for me
  • MicroSD slot (for a 512GB card)
  • Headphone 3.5mm jack (why are they taking that away from the top-of-the-line phones?)
  • Stereo sound

That's it I guess? A big battery is a nice plus, but to be honest, at this point, I am satisfied with any amount of battery. Guaranteed system updates for years to come is also another plus.

Before you go, let me tell you one bad experience I had recently: I bought a Galaxy M34 after reading its specs, it said that it had a 6000mAh battery and the screen was """the same""" that my Galaxy S9 (because Samsung call both screens "super amoled"), the result? The phone arrived, and I was very, very bothered by its screen, it had a noticeable yellow tint, especially when displaying white, that my Galaxy S9 has none of, and that bothered me so much that I returned it the next day, and went back to using my Galaxy S9.

After returning the Galaxy M34, I started searching phones currently available more thoroughly, but I couldn't find any phone that had all four main points that I was looking for. I went to a Samsung store the other day to look at some alternatives, and there I saw that the screen of Galaxy S23 is very good, but it has neither microsd slot nor a headphone jack, so that's a no-no to me.

I like Samsung, but I am willing to buy from other brands too, please recommend some good replacements.

51 minutes ago, SecretX said:

the screen of Galaxy S23 is very good, but it has neither microsd slot nor a headphone jack, so that's a no-no to me.

I had the same issue with trying to find an upgrade for my S10+, with the same "needs a micro SD card and a 3.5mm jack"

After months of looking around I still ended up with an S23 Ultra; I bought a higher capacity internal storage and a cheap pack of dongles for my headphones to convert them to USB-C. I've gotten used to it over the last 8 months and so far I havent missed having a micro SD card slot and have been neutral on the headphone jack.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

1 hour ago, SecretX said:

Hi guys, what's up?

I recently started looking for a replacement for my Galaxy S9, but had some issues finding a replacement that doesn't look like a downgrade. I am a bit outdated when it comes to knowing every model of every brand, so I would love some help with that.

I am looking for a phone that has:

• Excellent screen (especially great white fidelity, like S9's screen does): I watch and read a lot of things on my phone, this is very important for me
  • MicroSD slot (for a 512GB card)
  • Headphone 3.5mm jack (why are they taking that away from the top-of-the-line phones?)
  • Stereo sound

That's it I guess? A big battery is a nice plus, but to be honest, at this point, I am satisfied with any amount of battery. Guaranteed system updates for years to come is also another plus.

Before you go, let me tell you one bad experience I had recently: I bought a Galaxy M34 after reading its specs, it said that it had a 6000mAh battery and the screen was """the same""" that my Galaxy S9 (because Samsung call both screens "super amoled"), the result? The phone arrived, and I was very, very bothered by its screen, it had a noticeable yellow tint, especially when displaying white, that my Galaxy S9 has none of, and that bothered me so much that I returned it the next day, and went back to using my Galaxy S9.

After returning the Galaxy M34, I started searching phones currently available more thoroughly, but I couldn't find any phone that had all four main points that I was looking for. I went to a Samsung store the other day to look at some alternatives, and there I saw that the screen of Galaxy S23 is very good, but it has neither microsd slot nor a headphone jack, so that's a no-no to me.

I like Samsung, but I am willing to buy from other brands too, please recommend some good replacements.

I'll mostly echo what TVwazhere said.

Outside of Sony, it's very hard to find phones that are both reasonably high-quality and include both a headphone jack and microSD slot (ASUS' Zenfone 10 has the former but not the latter). You're effectively boxing yourself in by asking for features that, like it or not, much of the industry has eliminated. I'd rather get enough internal storage and a headphone adapter (or wireless earbuds) and have a broader choice of devices.

2 hours ago, SecretX said:

Could it be that vivid mode was turned on by default in the display settings?

1 hour ago, TVwazhere said:

I had the same issue with trying to find an upgrade for my S10+, with the same "needs a micro SD card and a 3.5mm jack"

After months of looking around I still ended up with an S23 Ultra; I bought a higher capacity internal storage and a cheap pack of dongles for my headphones to convert them to USB-C. I've gotten used to it over the last 8 months and so far I havent missed having a micro SD card slot and have been neutral on the headphone jack.

53 minutes ago, Commodus said:

I'll mostly echo what TVwazhere said.

Outside of Sony, it's very hard to find phones that are both reasonably high-quality and include both a headphone jack and microSD slot (ASUS' Zenfone 10 has the former but not the latter). You're effectively boxing yourself in by asking for features that, like it or not, much of the industry has eliminated. I'd rather get enough internal storage and a headphone adapter (or wireless earbuds) and have a broader choice of devices.

It's pretty sad to hear that the industry has made that the default for high-end phones, but OK then. What phones with an excellent screen and stereo audio would you recommend, then?

19 minutes ago, jetnoodles said:

Could it be that vivid mode was turned on by default in the display settings?

Yes, it was turned on by default. But I did tweak it and all other screen settings in all possible ways, all possible configurations, and all possible color balances (in the "Advanced" section of the screen color adjustment menu), but none of the configurations removed the yellowish tint that was present on the screen. I didn't have night mode/bed mode turned on, nor any kind of accessibility screen filter enabled.

I remember that when I got my Galaxy S9, its screen had a slightly reddish tint, but I was able to fix this issue by decreasing the amount of red in the screen color configuration menu, and the screen was perfect afterward, but unfortunately, although the Galaxy M34 also have this same option, it didn't do anything relevant when it comes to reducing the amount of yellow on the screen, it was like the color configuration didn't do anything at all to its screen, I tested the sliders in all possible positions, but the image looked the same no matter the configuration.

Galaxy S23/+/Ultra are all excellent devices. They don't have microSD or 3.5mm, but getting a decent amount of internal storage and a basic adapter can mitigate that.

Regarding the S23 series, the S24 is scheduled to release in less than 2 months so it may be good to wait for those to come out.

Pixel 8 Pro/Pixel 8/Pixel 7a are also good options, but lack microSD and 3.5mm as well.

Sony and Asus are really the only options for getting "legacy" features in a flagship form factor these days.

Asus Zenphone is quite affordable (relative to competition), and packs a punch in the specs list.

However, I do not think Asus is known for their software longevity. Not to mention recent rumors (Asus did deny them) that Asus was considering pulling out of mobile.

Sony makes excellent quality devices, with legacy features, and from what I've seen packs in an outstanding display for video consumption. Sony does demand a price premium over the competition, but the hardware justifies it (IMO).

In terms of software, I've heard Sony is not timely fixing some bugs; but should offer decent OS support length. I also trust Sony to stay in the mobile business longer than I trust Asus to.

Tl;Dr if you can wait for S24 release, do it. Go Samsung if you don't mind sacrificing legacy features, or pick sony/Asus if you must have those expansion options.

From what you all are saying, Sony is easily the best option. Both a 3.5mm jack and a microSD card slot.

Asus is Asus. They are generally not a very trustworthy company. While I cannot go out of my way to prove everything they do, others will tell you, generally not a good idea to buy an Asus product. It is a shame as their ROG Phones are the only ones with two USB-C ports.

Unfortunately, there is no easily recommended Nexus device to fall back on. Back in the day, if you wanted an Android phone, a Nexus would satisfy the vast majority of Android users. Nowadays, Android itself cannot even do that, and taking away hardware features only makes things worse.

On 12/6/2023 at 5:06 PM, SecretX said:

It's pretty sad to hear that the industry has made that the default for high-end phones, but OK then. What phones with an excellent screen and stereo audio would you recommend, then?

On 12/6/2023 at 7:35 PM, NavyCobra1417 said:

Regarding the S23 series, the S24 is scheduled to release in less than 2 months so it may be good to wait for those to come out.

Pixel 8 Pro/Pixel 8/Pixel 7a are also good options, but lack microSD and 3.5mm as well.

I will say The Pixel 7 pro was a contender for me against the S23 Ultra. So was One Plus and Xiaomi, but Pixel 7Pro was the final head to head.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

On 12/6/2023 at 5:06 PM, SecretX said:

Yeah, you don't have to like it, but that's where we're at.

If you want to stick to Samsung, the S23 series is still good... although I won't be surprised if the S24 debuts in January or February, so only get the current-gen now if you find a good deal. My pick is the S23+ since it's large but light and has a few perks the base S23 doesn't (like UWB for digital car keys and such).

If you're willing to branch out but want to stick to Android, snag a Pixel 8 or Pixel 8 Pro. Excellent displays, sound, and cameras, and of course it's the definitive Android experience with timely updates. Google is even promising seven years of OS upgrades, which might even beat Apple.

And if you're willing to branch out to iPhone land, the iPhone 15 Pro and Pro Max are where it's at. Superb displays and speakers, and of course iOS update support typically lasts for five to six years.