Am I getting a CPU/GPU bottleneck? Or is it just the game optimizations

Jeeby

So I decided to build my new computer a few months back, and decided to wait until it was built to finish played RDR2, and start playing Hogwarts Legacy and Starfield.

I noticed on all three games, which all have different engines, I seem to run into the same issue. Whenever I am in a highly condensed/populated area (RDR2: Saint Denis, Starfield: Neon, Hogwarts: Hogwarts Castle), the games go from an average of 160-200 FPS down to 60-80 (only for a split second while it attempts to render new chunks/crowds). So I get a lot of choking/stuttering in highly dense areas. I understand that in those areas you should see drops, the GPU and CPU have to work harder for those areas (moreso the CPU for rendering). But I feel like the dips I'm getting in those areas don't make a lot of sense for my hardware.

Currently running a i9 13900K, 4090 and 32GB DDR5.

I also understand that a lot of games aren't optimized for PC considering how many possibilities of hardware everyone has, so I'm curious if I'm actually getting a bottleneck, or throttling. Or if its just game optimizations.

Also, I ran an AIDA64 test for about 5 minutes, averaging about 85-90C on 100% load with no thermal throttling

I also am attaching a picture of Riva, I'm not an expert on hyperthreading, but the CPU loads seem weird to me (CPU1-9 have some threads at 0-3% load, some at 40-50%, CPU 17-32 all are in mid teens for loads. CPU11-13 always have the highest loads.loads.thumb.png.beed48ac98c5a3750fabd0523f944de7.png

32 minutes ago, Jeeby said:

So I decided to build my new computer a few months back, and decided to wait until it was built to finish played RDR2, and start playing Hogwarts Legacy and Starfield.

I noticed on all three games, which all have different engines, I seem to run into the same issue. Whenever I am in a highly condensed/populated area (RDR2: Saint Denis, Starfield: Neon, Hogwarts: Hogwarts Castle), the games go from an average of 160-200 FPS down to 60-80 (only for a split second while it attempts to render new chunks/crowds). So I get a lot of choking/stuttering in highly dense areas. I understand that in those areas you should see drops, the GPU and CPU have to work harder for those areas (moreso the CPU for rendering). But I feel like the dips I'm getting in those areas don't make a lot of sense for my hardware.

I also understand that a lot of games aren't optimized for PC considering how many possibilities of hardware everyone has, so I'm curious if I'm actually getting a bottleneck, or throttling. Or if its just game optimizations.

Also, I ran an AIDA64 test for about 5 minutes, averaging about 85-90C on 100% load with no thermal throttling

I also am attaching a picture of Riva, I'm not an expert on hyperthreading, but the CPU loads seem weird to me (CPU1-9 have some threads at 0-3% load, some at 40-50%, CPU 17-32 all are in mid teens for loads. CPU11-13 always have the highest loads.

What speed are you running on ram?

Maybe try running on auto instead of xmp just to test if it's the same.

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

42 minutes ago, Jeeby said:

I also am attaching a picture of Riva, I'm not an expert on hyperthreading, but the CPU loads seem weird to me (CPU1-9 have some threads at 0-3% load, some at 40-50%, CPU 17-32 all are in mid teens for loads. CPU11-13 always have the highest loads.loads.thumb.png.beed48ac98c5a3750fabd0523f944de7.png

Disable ecores, it may help, Intel P+E architecture can be unoptimal 

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

43 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

What speed are you running on ram?

Maybe try running on auto instead of xmp just to test if it's the same.

Auto is what I first tested this build with, and it ran into 6-3% thermal throttling, XMP undervolted some things to lower the temps. I also ran into the same issues on those games on the default build.

34 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

Disable ecores, it may help, Intel P+E architecture can be unoptimal 

I'll try this now, ty. I'm not an expert in the BIOS menu and have just started learning the basics which is basically only learning vcore and core speeds. I have vcore of only 1.32 but with XMP it apparently is only set to 5.5Ghz, even though it has a boost clock of 5.8Ghz, so maybe I should set it to manual and set the vcore myself and set all cores to 5.8?

Consider replacing the Intel ILM with a contact frame to (maybe) lower cpu temps.

Edited by leclod

I'm willing to swim against the current.

9 minutes ago, leclod said:

Consider replacing the Intel ILM with a contact frame to (maybe) lower cpu temps.

I've done this already, again its not a thermal problem. I run at a max of 91C with no thermal throttling, according to AIDA.