Planning my first m.2, but I don't know what BIOS version I should update

SumTing
Go to solution Solved by Tegneren,

As MidnightStars also said, dont update your BIOS unless you have perfomance/stability issues. Its not necessary for the M.2 at least

Also if your BIOS is version 1.D or older, updating it might actually decrease CPU performance due to the fix for the security vulnerabilities called Meltdown and Spectre (you can google what they are). Of course, if security is a priority for you, you should update it anyways.

My PC is kinda old, it's an MSI x99A SLI PLUS w/ 5820k on it.聽

I was just wondering on what version of the BIOS I should install or do I really need to download the "beta" version or is it cumulative to update a bios.

I've looked around in the internet with the same board as mine, but I'm not sure on what version of the BIOS they've updated too.

Also, does any NVME m.2 works on my board? So far I've seen people placed in their system with the same as mine was mostly SAMSUNG. Is putting a Gen.4 kind of M.2 fine too? Because there are really cheap Gen.4s out there and I know it will be bottlenecked馃槀 also seen websites that would just recommend any M.2 with my mobo. SO I really don't know a lot about M.2 compatibility especially with this old kind of a motherboard.

Don't update your BIOS unless you have to.

What motherboard do you have, and what BIOS version is it currently running? You will need to refer to your motherboard manual for M.2 compatability.

M.2 is the connection type (like USB-A vs. USB-C).

NVMe is the storage protocol. M.2 can be either NVMe or SATA speeds.

Also, does any NVME m.2 works on my board?

Theoretically, yes, assuming your motherboard supports the storage capacity, and supports M.2 NVMe. Some motherboards will only support certain max capacities (common one I've noticed being out to 4 TB).

So far I've seen people placed in their system with the same as mine was mostly SAMSUNG

It's a very good brand w/ great durability and reliability. I personally use Crucial, Samsung, and/or TeamGroup.

Is putting a Gen.4 kind of M.2 fine too? Because there are really cheap Gen.4s out there and I know it will be bottlenecked馃槀also seen websites that would just recommend any M.2 with my mobo

Absolutely. The price difference between Gen. 3 and Gen. 4 continue to decrease, so if you're getting one at a killer deal, go for it. Once you pass SATA III SSD speeds, boot times are reluctant to change much. Oddly enough, my PC w/ a M.2 SATA SSD boots way faster than my laptop's M.2 NVMe.

Jude 1:23

And on some have compassion, making a distinction; but others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire, hating even the garment defiled by the flesh.

1 hour ago, SumTing said:

My PC is kinda old, it's an MSI x99A SLI PLUS w/ 5820k on it.聽

I was just wondering on what version of the BIOS I should install or do I really need to download the "beta" version or is it cumulative to update a bios.

I've looked around in the internet with the same board as mine, but I'm not sure on what version of the BIOS they've updated too.

Also, does any NVME m.2 works on my board? So far I've seen people placed in their system with the same as mine was mostly SAMSUNG. Is putting a Gen.4 kind of M.2 fine too? Because there are really cheap Gen.4s out there and I know it will be bottlenecked馃槀 also seen websites that would just recommend any M.2 with my mobo. SO I really don't know a lot about M.2 compatibility especially with this old kind of a motherboard.

You don't even need M2 slots for NVme drives, a X99 has plenty PCie slots & lanes where you can put NVMe adapters, 1 drive per x4 (but the 4 drive ones are costly, 1 drive are cheap)

But you'l only get PCIe3 speed not 4 (nor 5 lol)

System : AMD R9 5900X聽/ Gigabyte聽X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18聽/聽ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /聽聽Eisbaer 280mm AIO聽(with 2xArctic P14 fans)/ 2TB Crucial T500聽 NVme +聽2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDDdrives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/聽聽Alienware AW3420DW 34"120Hz聽3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight聽mouse / Audeze Maxwell聽headphones

As MidnightStars also said, dont update your BIOS unless you have perfomance/stability issues. Its not necessary for the M.2 at least

Also if your BIOS is version 1.D or older, updating it might actually decrease CPU performance due to the fix for the security vulnerabilities called Meltdown and Spectre (you can google what they are). Of course, if security is a priority for you, you should update it anyways.

If you want me to answer, please use the quote function or tag me. I dont get notified unless you do

1 hour ago, Tegneren said:

Oh wow. I was actually just planning on updating it to 1.D also. Well, once I buy the m.2 and won't show up in the management I'll try to do the update.

20 hours ago, Tegneren said:

As MidnightStars also said, dont update your BIOS unless you have perfomance/stability issues.

Ohhhh wow...I just bought my Samsung 970 EVO PLUS and just worked right off the bat xD

Man, I was sweating so much for nothing. 馃ぃ

my BIOS version btw is 1.8