Two games crashing to desktop - bad RAM?

fastfishy2

The games in question both run on Unity - Rust, and Cities Skylines 2.

I've only had Rust crash once or twice, however CS2 has had the occasional CTD since launch but recently has gotten far more frequent.

The dump files always read, "ERROR_CODE: (NTSTATUS) 0xc0000005 - The instruction at 0x%p referenced memory at 0x%p. The memory could not be %s."

Don't really get any crash handlers coming up afterward either. 

specs: Win10 home, 5800X3D, 32gb DDR4-3200 (XMP default), RTX 4070 12GB, Rog Strix B550-A, game is running off a 2TB Samsung 970 evo plus that I bought 4 months ago.

It could be a RAM issue or it could be an issue with Windows. The error means that the program is trying to access restricted memory.

To test if your RAM timings are too tight, or the speed is too high, you could try manually downclocking it to a lower speed, like DDR4-3133 or DDR4-3000.

Is this 32GB of RAM all memory from the same kit, or is the memory from 2 or more different memory kits?

21 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

It could be a RAM issue or it could be an issue with Windows. The error means that the program is trying to access restricted memory.

To test if your RAM timings are too tight, or the speed is too high, you could try manually downclocking it to a lower speed, like DDR4-3133 or DDR4-3000.

Is this 32GB of RAM all memory from the same kit, or is the memory from 2 or more different memory kits?

Same memory kit. I'll have a go downclocking. I'm not having this issue with anything else so far.

bump the Dram voltage one or two clicks n try again

Ryzen 5800X3D(Because who doesn't like a phat stack of cache?) GPU - 7700Xt

X470 Strix f gaming, 32GB Corsair vengeance, WD Blue 500GB NVME-WD Blue2TB HDD, 700watts EVGA Br

~Extra L3 cache is exciting, every time you load up a new game or program you never know what your going to get, will it perform like a 5700x or are we beating the 14900k today? 😅~

4 hours ago, Ripred said:

bump the Dram voltage one or two clicks n try again

I've bumped the clock down to 3000mhz instead of 3200. Also updated my display drivers, so I guess I'll see if that helps. I can attach translated dump files for each game if that would help?

There are a number of things that can cause the error you're seeing.

It's a pretty general memory error but that doesn't necessarily mean that's the cause, just the symptom. 

Make note of what time you're starting the game or games and what time they are crashing.
Is it happening immediately, or does it take a while?

Here is a list of troubleshooting steps that I would do. One at a time so you know exactly what does, or doesn't, fix the problem. 

Hardware Inspection:

• Make sure your memory, and other components are seated correctly. It's probably not this but just in case. 

Software and Drivers:

• Check for Windows Updates:
    • Ensure that your Windows operating system is up to date. Sometimes, Windows updates contain fixes for compatibility issues that can lead to crashes.
  • Update Graphics Drivers: Which you already did. 
    • You may also want to do a full uninstall and reinstall in case there is a driver after you update. 
  • Check for Overclocking:
    • Ensure that your system isnt overclocked beyond stable limits. Overclocking can sometimes lead to stability issues, including memory. Reset your CPU and GPU to their default clock speeds if they are overclocked.
  • Monitor GPU Temperatures:
    • Use a monitoring tool like MSI Afterburner or GPU-Z to check your GPU temperatures while gaming. Overheating can cause crashes. Make sure your GPU is adequately cooled.
  • Update BIOS and Firmware:
    • Check your motherboard manufacturer's website for BIOS updates and other firmware updates. Keeping your system's firmware up to date can resolve compatibility issues.
    • NOTE: DO NOT RUSH while doing this. It can take a while but if you stop it you can brick your mobo. 

RAM Related:

• Downclock RAM Speed:
    • As suggested by YoungBlade, try downclocking your RAM speed from 3200MHz to a lower speed. 
    • You can also disable XMP to see if the issue persists. I usually start by doing this and creep up the speed until it starts crashing then creep it down until it's stable. 
  • Check RAM Stability:
    • If downclocking doesn't resolve the issue, you should perform a memory stability test. You can use tools like Memtest86 to check for any memory-related problems. If errors are detected, it may indicate faulty RAM sticks.

Security and System Logs:

• Check Event Viewer:
    • Examine the Windows Event Viewer for any additional information about the crashes. Look for error codes or specific events that might provide more clues about the issue.

Good luck to you.

1 hour ago, josefah said:

There are a number of things that can cause the error you're seeing.

It's a pretty general memory error but that doesn't necessarily mean that's the cause, just the symptom. 

Make note of what time you're starting the game or games and what time they are crashing.
Is it happening immediately, or does it take a while?

Here is a list of troubleshooting steps that I would do. One at a time so you know exactly what does, or doesn't, fix the problem. 

Hardware Inspection:

• Make sure your memory, and other components are seated correctly. It's probably not this but just in case. 

Software and Drivers:

• Check for Windows Updates:
    • Ensure that your Windows operating system is up to date. Sometimes, Windows updates contain fixes for compatibility issues that can lead to crashes.
  • Update Graphics Drivers: Which you already did. 
    • You may also want to do a full uninstall and reinstall in case there is a driver after you update. 
  • Check for Overclocking:
    • Ensure that your system isnt overclocked beyond stable limits. Overclocking can sometimes lead to stability issues, including memory. Reset your CPU and GPU to their default clock speeds if they are overclocked.
  • Monitor GPU Temperatures:
    • Use a monitoring tool like MSI Afterburner or GPU-Z to check your GPU temperatures while gaming. Overheating can cause crashes. Make sure your GPU is adequately cooled.
  • Update BIOS and Firmware:
    • Check your motherboard manufacturer's website for BIOS updates and other firmware updates. Keeping your system's firmware up to date can resolve compatibility issues.
    • NOTE: DO NOT RUSH while doing this. It can take a while but if you stop it you can brick your mobo. 

RAM Related:

• Downclock RAM Speed:
    • As suggested by YoungBlade, try downclocking your RAM speed from 3200MHz to a lower speed. 
    • You can also disable XMP to see if the issue persists. I usually start by doing this and creep up the speed until it starts crashing then creep it down until it's stable. 
  • Check RAM Stability:
    • If downclocking doesn't resolve the issue, you should perform a memory stability test. You can use tools like Memtest86 to check for any memory-related problems. If errors are detected, it may indicate faulty RAM sticks.

Security and System Logs:

• Check Event Viewer:
    • Examine the Windows Event Viewer for any additional information about the crashes. Look for error codes or specific events that might provide more clues about the issue.

Good luck to you.

found an event viewer log for the rust crash:

image.png.941cdd862a54675522415e523afe66b3.png

EOSSDK-Win64-Shipping.dll is part of the Epic Online Services SDK. I looked up both games you're having issues with and they are both Epic games. Are non-epic games crashing as well?

Look for similar errors in your application logs and see if the same module is faulting for both games. 

I believe that's event ID 1000. You can right click on "Application" and click filter. to sort by that event Id. 

If the other events are in the logs are showing the same faulting module, then a reinstall of Epic and the games may be your next troubleshooting step. 

1 hour ago, josefah said:

EOSSDK-Win64-Shipping.dll is part of the Epic Online Services SDK. I looked up both games you're having issues with and they are both Epic games. Are non-epic games crashing as well?

Look for similar errors in your application logs and see if the same module is faulting for both games. 

I believe that's event ID 1000. You can right click on "Application" and click filter. to sort by that event Id. 

If the other events are in the logs are showing the same faulting module, then a reinstall of Epic and the games may be your next troubleshooting step. 

They're both through steam... maybe epic games launcher is screwing with it, being open in the background.

2 hours ago, josefah said:

Ok, so the crashes for CS: 2 keep mentioning "lib_burst_generated.dll" as the faulting module. I have heard suggestions to delete Unityplayer.dll and have steam reinstall it as part of verifying the game's integrity, and it hasn't crashed since I did that.

The one crash so far for Rust was to do with that epic games background process, so it may have just been a once-off. I can only hope.

Hopefully. Keep an eye on your GPU temps as well. I've had some really weird issues caused by my old GPU overheating. I reapplied the thermal compound and all the random crashes went away. 

8 hours ago, fastfishy2 said:

They're both through steam... maybe epic games launcher is screwing with it, being open in the background.

Yeah some games do that. I hate it. Too many points of failure. 

2 hours ago, josefah said:

Hopefully. Keep an eye on your GPU temps as well. I've had some really weird issues caused by my old GPU overheating. I reapplied the thermal compound and all the random crashes went away. 

Gpu temps are really good, been keeping an eye on all my temps. 

As for epic, well, there's a reason I disabled it on startup.