Mobo for 14600KF

Go to solution Solved by RONOTHAN##,
2 minutes ago, WeNeKappa said:

I know you can't overclock the CPU with a B760 mobo, I asked if it is worth to overclock this exact CPU, therefor, if its worth to go for a Z690 motherboard instead of a B760 one

It won't have a ton of headroom, though Z690/Z790 boards have other benefits like easier undervolting, so unless it's a massive price difference I'd try to go for the Z- series board if possible. 

5 minutes ago, WeNeKappa said:

Im shopping in Romania so yhea.. not so many good options other than this at this price range (~200euros)

In my rather unscientific method of just browsing PCPartPicker for boards, the Z790 D DDR4 or Z790 UD should be about the same price and is a bit better depending on whether you want DDR4 or 5. 

Hello!
I just got a 14600KF and I was searching for a new motherboard and i have a few questions.
1. Is it worth to overclock this procesor or are the boost speeds enough? if they are enough is a B760 enough for this CPU or i should still run a Z seriers motherboard?
2. Which one would you choose:
B760:ASRock B760 Pro RSD4
Z690: ASRock Z690 PG RIPTIDE/ASRock Z690 PRO RS
or if you have any better sugetions I would love to hear them!
Thanks in advance!

9 minutes ago, WeNeKappa said:

Hello!
I just got a 14600KF and I was searching for a new motherboard and i have a few questions.
1. Is it worth to overclock this procesor or are the boost speeds enough? if they are enough is a B760 enough for this CPU or i should still run a Z seriers motherboard?
2. Which one would you choose:
Thanks in advance!

I don't believe B series chipsets support overclocking, so you'd want to go with a Z series. Z690 vs Z790 has some minor advantages, nothing I would pay substantially more for. If there's a decent Z790 motherboard close by in price, I'd elect for that.

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

Only motherboards with a Z based chipset allows for full overclocking. 

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

3 minutes ago, Agall said:

I don't believe B series chipsets support overclocking

If you find one of the few boards with an external clock gen, you can overclock on B- series boards. They're just so rare that practically they don't exist, it's basically only the B760M PG Riptide that's the exception to this (other boards exist, though they don't really seem to be in production anymore). 

14 minutes ago, WeNeKappa said:

Which one would you choose:

If it's just between those, I'd go for the Riptide, though what is your budget and where are you shopping for boards? Odds are you can get something a lot better for the price since none of those boards are particularly good. 

I know you can't overclock the CPU with a B760 mobo, I asked if it is worth to overclock this exact CPU, therefor, if its worth to go for a Z690 motherboard instead of a B760 one

7 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

If you find one of the few boards with an external clock gen, you can overclock on B- series boards. They're just so rare that practically they don't exist, it's basically only the B760M PG Riptide that's the exception to this (other boards exist, though they don't really seem to be in production anymore). 

If it's just between those, I'd go for the Riptide, though what is your budget and where are you shopping for boards? Odds are you can get something a lot better for the price since none of those boards are particularly good. 

. Im shopping in Romania so yhea.. not so many good options other than this at this price range (~200euros)

2 minutes ago, WeNeKappa said:

It won't have a ton of headroom, though Z690/Z790 boards have other benefits like easier undervolting, so unless it's a massive price difference I'd try to go for the Z- series board if possible. 

5 minutes ago, WeNeKappa said:

Im shopping in Romania so yhea.. not so many good options other than this at this price range (~200euros)

In my rather unscientific method of just browsing PCPartPicker for boards, the Z790 D DDR4 or Z790 UD should be about the same price and is a bit better depending on whether you want DDR4 or 5. 

13 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Sure, there's a few niche B760 motherboards that support overclocking, but the B760 chipset doesn't appear to support overclocking. 

@WeNeKappa

ASRock Z690 Pro RS LGA 1700 (14th,13th,12th Gen) DDR4 ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com Looks like its the minimum for a decent board.

ASRock Z690 EXTREME LGA 1700 (14th,13th,12th Gen) DDR4 ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com would be worth it to me. I'm a sucker for dual LAN motherboards though. $20 more isn't too bad at this price point.

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017