Where should I place my APs?

Go to solution Solved by Skiiwee29,
Just now, Agall said:

Only nuance with the Den would be all the plumbing and water above it and how that would affect its signal strength to the 2nd bedroom. Might be even worth putting it in the garage because of that, but it depends. 

@NightlyGamer If you plan to use any smart things for your garage, it might be worth considering one in the garage then one in the 2nd floor loft, as a slight amendment to @Skiiwee29's suggestion.

oh I agree, just going off the diagram. Always different in person. When im doing installs that include wifi, I always check what the needs are and do a walk around analysis with the router in different places checking my RSI values and making sure I have adequate coverage. 

Did an install last week for a business and ended up needing 4 additional mesh APs on top of the regular router wifi. 

My new place is about 2245sqft. Pretty much everything is hardwired. All the interior walls will be made of wood and drywall. I am trying to decide where to place the access points. I plan on going with the U6 lite unless there is better option.

RDT_20231205_1140357055704913182586059.jpg

You can likely get away with only 2 APs looking at the floor plan. If it were me, one would be in the den on the main floor near the wall of the garage, then one in the Loft on the 2nd floor. That should give you full coverage of everything. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

WAPs should be as high up and central as possible. The math is similar to a radioactive point source, so you'd want the least amount of obstruction as far from the device as possible.

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

3 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

You can likely get away with only 2 APs looking at the floor plan. If it were me, one would be in the den on the main floor near the wall of the garage, then one in the Loft on the 2nd floor. That should give you full coverage of everything. 

Only nuance with the Den would be all the plumbing and water above it and how that would affect its signal strength to the 2nd bedroom. Might be even worth putting it in the garage because of that, but it depends. 

@NightlyGamer If you plan to use any smart things for your garage, it might be worth considering one in the garage then one in the 2nd floor loft, as a slight amendment to @Skiiwee29's suggestion.

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

Just now, Agall said:

oh I agree, just going off the diagram. Always different in person. When im doing installs that include wifi, I always check what the needs are and do a walk around analysis with the router in different places checking my RSI values and making sure I have adequate coverage. 

Did an install last week for a business and ended up needing 4 additional mesh APs on top of the regular router wifi. 

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

31 minutes ago, Agall said:

It should be fine if it's on the den/laundry wall.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

1 minute ago, Needfuldoer said:

It should be fine if it's on the den/laundry wall.

Most of the plumbing is in the ceiling and wall closest to laundry room 

43 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

I was initially thinking the hallway between the front door and the greatroom. For upstairs would be in the hallway between the master and the second bedroom. 

37 minutes ago, NightlyGamer said:

I was initially thinking the hallway between the front door and the greatroom. For upstairs would be in the hallway between the master and the second bedroom. 

You really don't want to be stacking them on top of each other like that, would essentially make it worthless of having multiple aps. If it was 3 level, then stacked on floor 1 and 3 would be good, but not on 2 story. Having them on opposite ends will give you the best coverage. They should be able to penetrate the floors between to cover directly above and below without any issues or dead zones.

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

43 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

You really don't want to be stacking them on top of each other like that, would essentially make it worthless of having multiple aps. If it was 3 level, then stacked on floor 1 and 3 would be good, but not on 2 story. Having them on opposite ends will give you the best coverage. They should be able to penetrate the floors between to cover directly above and below without any issues or dead zones.

Ok. I plan to go with some ubiquiti APs. Not sure if you have experience with them. I was looking at the U6 lite. Do you think 2 could handle the range?

6 minutes ago, NightlyGamer said:

Ok. I plan to go with some ubiquiti APs. Not sure if you have experience with them. I was looking at the U6 lite. Do you think 2 could handle the range?

Most likely. I had an ac pro AP for a while and had good coverage with it in my house of about 1200sq ft. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig