Asus Strix X670E-A Ethernet Problems

malaki

Recently completed a new build featuring the Asus Strix X670E-A Motherboard. It worked fine for a few days suddenly the Ethernet jack stopped working. Wifi still functions normally but unless I spend an hour fudging around with drivers the ethernet jack refuses to work. When it fails it usually complains that it "knows" it's connected but whines about configuration errors like not being assigned an IP address or other connection problems. I've read that the i1225-V Chips on the boards are famously bad, but wondering if it could be a driver/firmware issue. When I completed the build I did carry over both SSDs from my old PC to avoid starting again from scratch, so I'm wondering if the old drivers from my last rig could be casuing problems with the new hardware and if a clean install of windows 10 should solve the problem. If all else fails I do have a seperate gigabit ethernet card I could install and use instead (plus 2.5G NiCs are relatively cheap so there's always that option too)

2 minutes ago, malaki said:

Recently completed a new build featuring the Asus Strix X670E-A Motherboard. It worked fine for a few days suddenly the Ethernet jack stopped working. Wifi still functions normally but unless I spend an hour fudging around with drivers the ethernet jack refuses to work. When it fails it usually complains that it "knows" it's connected but whines about configuration errors like not being assigned an IP address or other connection problems. I've read that the i1225-V Chips on the boards are famously bad, but wondering if it could be a driver/firmware issue. When I completed the build I did carry over both SSDs from my old PC to avoid starting again from scratch, so I'm wondering if the old drivers from my last rig could be casuing problems with the new hardware and if a clean install of windows 10 should solve the problem. If all else fails I do have a seperate gigabit ethernet card I could install and use instead (plus 2.5G NiCs are relatively cheap so there's always that option too)

I run into this issue on my X670e Aorus Master, ended up just using WIFI instead for a while until I got a discrete 2.5Gb PCIe NIC. Now its just disabled in the UEFI since the constant connect+disconnect in Event Viewer is a waste of space with a discrete card now.

I tried several times to resolve this, none of them stuck. Until we can get a firmware update for the NIC itself, it'll likely stay that way, if that would even solve the issue.

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

When you migrate to a completely new system, Especially if you are going from Intel to AMD, do a fresh install. Back up your needed stuff, but always do fresh install.

Generally  when having this type of issue, if a  fresh install, latest driver from the site, and making sure the cable+router are properly functioning, you may have to RMA the board.

• 2 months later...

Hopping back into this thread with some updates:

A reinstall of the OS did fix the issue, but only for a handful of weeks. A move to Windows 11 helps as there are more up to date drivers, have not had the issue reappear since moving, but I fear the problems might resurface in time. On Linux (Fedora 39) everything works normally so it might just be a problem with the windows drivers.

The problem, according to people on the Asus ROG forums seem to relate to some sort of driver errors regarding power-state management and the ethernet controller not awaking from a low-power state. The issue is entirely in Asus/Intel's hand, at least on windows. Some people have found tricks to fix mitigate the issue (usually disabling some power management features in the bios or messing with tcp buffer sizes) but to my knowledge none of these are reliable, permanent fixes .