Many issues when building first PC

EldritchMilk M.N

So this is my first ever build and ran into some issues (please this is the 8th place I've asked).

Specs:

-Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 GAMING X V2 rev 1.4

-CPU: Ryzen 5 5500 

-GPU: Gigabyte AMD Radeon  RX 7600

-PSU: Cooler Master MWE Gold 850w v2

-SSD: ADATA XPG GAMMIX S70 BLADE 2TB M.2

-RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2*16GB) DDR4

-Case: MSI MPG GUNGIR 110R Mid Tower

I'm following the LTT full PC guide video and I got to the pre-build test setup, turned my PSU on, and... nothing. Nothing happened except for a slight humming noise coming from the PSU if I put my ear right up to it. I then did some research and found out that I might need to update the motherboard BIOS via Q-Flash Plus and flash drive. So I downloaded the compatible BIOS for my CPU and plugged it in and nothing happened (my flash drive does have LEDs on it), and nothing happened when I pressed the Q-FlashPlus button. So I tried turning it on and off again, messing around with unplugging the flash drive and resetting all the components and wires. This ended up fixing the problem and there was a light coming from the Q-Flash Plus button and flash drive. I was sent to a black screen with a "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key". I looked and couldn't find an answer to this. But this isn't the main problem.

I was able to get into the BIOS and re-arranged the drives but it didn't seem to change anything. I then tried turning it off with the PSU switch and turning it back on without removing the flash drive. This produced the same effect as before. I then tried to turn it off and on again after I removed the flash drive, still worked the same. I then tried waiting a couple minutes after turning it off, turned it back on and… nothing. I got the same result as before I tried using Q-Flash Plus. Turns out that I had to redo the Q-Flash Plus process every time it was off for around a minute. But then it got worse. I waited until the next day and still the same, I had to do it every time I tried turning it on. But then, the flash drive stopped lighting up completely and the button stopped working, so now I’m back to where I started.

ANOTHER THING: My PSU’s fan has never spun for me, so it might be that

I have tried:

-Reseating all components

-Redoing PSU wires

-Reformatting flash drive

-Using different BIOS files/reinstalling the same BIOS file

-Doing Q-Flash Plus with only the CPU, Motherboard and PSU connected

-Rearranging RAM/using only one stick

-Using different cables

-Bashing my head against a rock

-Plugging the PSU into different power sources

-Plugging the flash drive into different USB ports

I have done all of these multiple times and nothing works 😞

As I said I haven’t gotten any responses so any help would be greatly appreciated

2 minutes ago, EldritchMilk M.N said:

-Bashing my head against a rock

real.

Considering how your power supply is making a humming noise, I'm under the impression it's about to fail since your computer did boot once but isn't booting again.

What you can do to properly test your power supply is use a paper clip. Sounds stupid, I know, but you'll be able to follow this simple guide from Corsair. https://help.corsair.com/hc/en-us/articles/360025085372-How-to-Test-a-PSU-Power-Supply-Unit-

==

Or, if you can, try testing the power supply in another computer. It doesn't have to be the same exact computer, but like an older computer that has the same layout as your power supply.

Sounds like some combination of a bad CMOS if you have to reflash the motherboard over and over again, possible also a PSU issue, though I'm fairly sure those are pretty good PSUs but maybe you got unlucky.

3 hours ago, ChieriOnTop said:

What you can do to properly test your power supply is use a paper clip.

“If that doesn’t work, you can try sticking a fork in a power outlet or taking a bath with your toaster”

/s

Lol tysm for the advice and I will definitely try this. Sorry for the late reply but I’ll let you know how it goes.

2 hours ago, RAM555789 said:

Sounds like some combination of a bad CMOS if you have to reflash the motherboard over and over again, possible also a PSU issue, though I'm fairly sure those are pretty good PSUs but maybe you got unlucky.

Is CMOS on the motherboard? Thanks for the reply btw, sounds like a PSU problem

if you got into the bios it's probably not a bios issue, maybe try to install Windows?