I want to get a Ryzen 9 5900X but don't know whether it would be compatible with my motherboard.

I currently have a Ryzen 5 3600 with a 2060. I don't know a lot about computers so I'm not sure whether I need to upgrade my motherboard or whether It would be fine. I have a ROG STRIX B-450 GAMING II. I would upgrade my motherboard if I have to but i'd rather not if it's not necessary, but I understand that it might be overkill and would rather upgrade if it meant that i was going to cause any harm to my computer. If I was to upgrade my motherboard would that mean that I would need to find one that is also compatible with all my other parts as well as my new CPU?  I've also heard people saying that I may need to upgrade my BIOS motherboard settings? How would I do that/know if that was something that I need to do? Appreciate any help anyone can offer :).

You'll likely need to do a BIOS update for your motherboard, but otherwise, it should handle the 5900X just fine.

You can get the BIOS update and info on how to update the BIOS for your particular board on the manufacturer website in the support section here:

https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-b450-f-gaming-ii-model/

10 hours ago, YoungBlade said:

You'll likely need to do a BIOS update for your motherboard, but otherwise, it should handle the 5900X just fine.

You can get the BIOS update and info on how to update the BIOS for your particular board on the manufacturer website in the support section here:

Okay. I’ve heard that BIOS updates can be a bit dangerous though. Would you recommend a motherboard upgrade. I don’t mind spending the money, especially if down the line when i want to upgrade my graphics card and RAM, my motherboard would need to be upgraded anyway. 

18 minutes ago, EastyBoy said:

Okay. I’ve heard that BIOS updates can be a bit dangerous though. Would you recommend a motherboard upgrade. I don’t mind spending the money, especially if down the line when i want to upgrade my graphics card and RAM, my motherboard would need to be upgraded anyway. 

First try updateing the bios... YES it can brick the baord if all constellations fit right, but I had never fail an bios update on me in 20 years. If the board is then dead, you can get a new one...

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

23 minutes ago, EastyBoy said:

The odds of a BIOS update bricking your motherboard is very small. The most common way it happens is if you lose power while the update is happening. So as long as you have reliable power, you should be fine.

Great. Thanks for all your help. I’ll do the update then buy my new CPU if all goes well.

13 hours ago, YoungBlade said:

I've clicked the link and went onto the support section and there's nothing but a blank screen pretty much. Any advice?

6 minutes ago, EastyBoy said:

I've clicked the link and went onto the support section and there's nothing but a blank screen pretty much. Any advice?

Goddammit, Asus...

Try this, click the "Driver & tools" tab and then "BIOS & firmware". https://www.asus.com/us/supportonly/rog strix b450-f gaming ii/helpdesk_knowledge/

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

19 minutes ago, Middcore said:

Goddammit, Asus...

Try this, click the "Driver & tools" tab and then "BIOS & firmware". https://www.asus.com/us/supportonly/rog strix b450-f gaming ii/helpdesk_knowledge/

I've looked at my BIOS version in my system information and it says that my BIOS version is 28/06/2021. However when I look on the website the closest date to that there was a BIOS update was the 30th. Is this normal? Do they maybe take a day or two to come up on the website?

Just now, EastyBoy said:

I've looked at my BIOS version in my system information and it says that my BIOS version is 28/06/2021. However when I look on the website the closest date to that there was a BIOS update was the 30th. Is this normal? Do they maybe take a day or two to come up on the website?

What actual version number is it? Not the date. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

1 minute ago, Middcore said:

Never mind I think it's okay. Even though the dates don't quite match up, I've checked on my diagnostics tool and my version is 4402, which matches up with one of the versions on the BIOS listing. Just wanted to check that I could see my current version there to makes sure i'm not about to download the wrong thing.

8 minutes ago, Middcore said:

Before running the USB BIOS Flashback tool, please rename the BIOS file (RX450F2.CAP) using BIOSRenamer."

Underneath the download it says this. What does this mean? I know I have to download the BIOS update onto a USB then go into my BIOS settings and download it to my motherboard from there but I don't know what this means.

Just now, EastyBoy said:

Before running the USB BIOS Flashback tool, please rename the BIOS file (RX450F2.CAP) using BIOSRenamer."

Underneath the download it says this. What does this mean? I know I have to download the BIOS update onto a USB then go into my BIOS settings and download it to my motherboard from there but I don't know what this means.

The BIOSrenamer tool comes with the BIOS file download. Run it and it will change the BIOS file name to what it's supposed to be. 

On 12/5/2023 at 3:10 PM, Middcore said:

The BIOSrenamer tool comes with the BIOS file download. Run it and it will change the BIOS file name to what it's supposed to be. 

Do you think that 450W PSU is enough for the Ryzen 9 5900X? I have a Nvidea 2060 with 16gb RAM.

9 minutes ago, EastyBoy said:

Do you think that 450W PSU is enough for the Ryzen 9 5900X? I have a Nvidea 2060 with 16gb RAM.

If it's a good quality PSU, it should just barely be able to handle it.

Out of the box, the R9 5900X uses up to 142W of power. The RTX 2060 is rated for 160W, although OC models might push that up a bit to 180W+. That means that your two primary components will use up to around 320W or so when fully loaded, leaving 130W for the rest of the system, which should be plenty.

However, that's assuming it's a decent PSU that can actually handle its rated wattage and won't fail if pushed to that level on a regular basis.

What specific model of PSU do you have?

2 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

If it's a good quality PSU, it should just barely be able to handle it.

Out of the box, the R9 5900X uses up to 142W of power. The RTX 2060 is rated for 160W, although OC models might push that up a bit to 180W+. That means that your two primary components will use up to around 320W or so when fully loaded, leaving 130W for the rest of the system, which should be plenty.

However, that's assuming it's a decent PSU that can actually handle its rated wattage and won't fail if pushed to that level on a regular basis.

What specific model of PSU do you have?

It's a "CORSAIR 450W CV SERIES" CV-450 POWER SUPPLY".

2 minutes ago, EastyBoy said:

It's a "CORSAIR 450W CV SERIES" CV-450 POWER SUPPLY".

Unfortunately, that's not a very good PSU. It's rated D tier on the PSU Tier List.

I would recommend getting a new power supply if you can afford it. That tier list is also a good place to look to see what the best PSUs out there are.

16 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

Unfortunately, that's not a very good PSU. It's rated D tier on the PSU Tier List.

I would recommend getting a new power supply if you can afford it. That tier list is also a good place to look to see what the best PSUs out there are.

Okay. Is changing a PSU a difficult process? I have no experience with building a PC but i would be willing to do it myself if I knew what i was doing. Do you have any reccommendations for PSU's? Will most of them fit with the parts that I have?

16 minutes ago, EastyBoy said:

Okay. Are changing PSU's easy? Do you have any recommendations? Will most PSU's fit with the parts that I have?

It's easy, but kind of a pain sometimes. How much of a pain depends on your case and how much you care about cable management. If you have a good case, and don't care a ton about making sure the back side panel area looks amazing, then it can actually be a relatively painless process.

Basically, you just unplug all the power stuff - CPU 8 pin, GPU 6/8 pin(s), motherboard 24 pin, any SATA/Molex power connectors, and then you pull them back through the rear cut-outs (if applicable). Then unscrew the PSU and remove it. To install the PSU, do that in reverse. Put it in, screw it in, put the cables you need through the appropriate cut-outs, and plug them in.

The hardest part might be removing/installing the motherboard 24-pin, as the amount of friction with that connector can be pretty insane.

What country/region are you buying parts from?

8 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

It's easy, but kind of a pain sometimes. How much of a pain depends on your case and how much you care about cable management. If you have a good case, and don't care a ton about making sure the back side panel area looks amazing, then it can actually be a relatively painless process.

Basically, you just unplug all the power stuff - CPU 8 pin, GPU 6/8 pin(s), motherboard 24 pin, any SATA/Molex power connectors, and then you pull them back through the rear cut-outs (if applicable). Then unscrew the PSU and remove it. To install the PSU, do that in reverse. Put it in, screw it in, put the cables you need through the appropriate cut-outs, and plug them in.

The hardest part might be removing/installing the motherboard 24-pin, as the amount of friction with that connector can be pretty insane.

What country/region are you buying parts from?

I'm in the UK. I'm sure if I take my time and watch enough tutorial videos I'll be just fine. Probably worth noting that I do plan to upgrade my GPU in the near future aswell so I might need some extra power for that. Not sure which one I'm going to get yet though

4 minutes ago, EastyBoy said:

I'm in the UK. I'm sure if I take my time and watch enough tutorial videos I'll be just fine. Probably worth noting that I do plan to upgrade my GPU in the near future aswell so I might need some extra power for that. Not sure which one I'm going to get yet though

The cheapest A Tier PSU I can find is this 750W Seasonic Focus GX from Scan for £90 - that would technically let you go up to the power requirements of an RX 7900 XTX or RTX 4080. If you intend to get a top tier GPU, though, you probably want a 1000W unit, as the RTX 4090 guzzles power.

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/750w-seasonic-focus-gx-750-80plus-gold-single-rail-fully-modular-62a-120mm-fan-atx-psu

Just now, YoungBlade said:

The cheapest A Tier PSU I can find is this 750W Seasonic Focus GX from Scan for £90 - that would technically let you go up to the power requirements of an RX 7900 XTX or RTX 4080. If you intend to get a top tier GPU, though, you probably want a 1000W unit, as the RTX 4090 guzzles power.

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/750w-seasonic-focus-gx-750-80plus-gold-single-rail-fully-modular-62a-120mm-fan-atx-psu

I doubt that I'll want to go any higher than at 4080 so that should work out just fine. Thanks so much for your help. Only other thing that I'm concerned about is my compatibility. Are PSU's generally compatible with all parts or will I have to check that the one you have linked will be compatible with my parts.

1 minute ago, EastyBoy said:

I doubt that I'll want to go any higher than at 4080 so that should work out just fine. Thanks so much for your help. Only other thing that I'm concerned about is my compatibility. Are PSU's generally compatible with all parts or will I have to check that the one you have linked will be compatible with my parts.

PSU connectors haven't changed much in the last 10 years. The biggest change is the recent introduction of the new 12-pin PCIe connector on Nvidia cards, but all the Nvidia cards come with adapters, and likely will for the next generation as well, so you don't need your PSU to include a 12-pin connector.

The main question is whether the PSU has enough of the connectors that you need. For example, if you have 4 SATA SSDs, then you'll want 4 SATA connectors - that unit happens to have 10, so you'd be fine.

Here's the list of connectors per Scan.co.uk -

• 2 x 4+4-pin ATX 12V
  • 3 x 4-pin Molex
  • 2 x 4-Pin Molex to SATA
  • 4 x 6+2-pin PCIe
  • 10 x SATA

So you have 2 4+4 (8 pin) CPU connectors - your motherboard only needs one. Three Molex connectors (old standard general purpose connector, sometimes still used). Four 6+2 (8 pin) PCIe connectors for graphics cards. And 10 SATA power connectors (modern standard general purpose connector mainly used for SSDs and fan hubs - sometimes used for other things).

2 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

PSU connectors haven't changed much in the last 10 years. The biggest change is the recent introduction of the new 12-pin PCIe connector on Nvidia cards, but all the Nvidia cards come with adapters, and likely will for the next generation as well, so you don't need your PSU to include a 12-pin connector.

The main question is whether the PSU has enough of the connectors that you need. For example, if you have 4 SATA SSDs, then you'll want 4 SATA connectors - that unit happens to have 10, so you'd be fine.

Here's the list of connectors per Scan.co.uk -

• 2 x 4+4-pin ATX 12V
  • 3 x 4-pin Molex
  • 2 x 4-Pin Molex to SATA
  • 4 x 6+2-pin PCIe
  • 10 x SATA

So you have 2 4+4 (8 pin) CPU connectors - your motherboard only needs one. Three Molex connectors (old standard general purpose connector, sometimes still used). Four 6+2 (8 pin) PCIe connectors for graphics cards. And 10 SATA power connectors (modern standard general purpose connector mainly used for SSDs and fan hubs - sometimes used for other things).

Ngl don't really understand fully what that all means, but I only have one SSD and one HD, so I take it I'd be fine?