RX 6400 For an Optiplex Drop In?

Grimos845

I have a few friends that don't have pc's so I've been trying to help them to build some optiplex builds for a cheap way in for some basic gaming. The Model we decided on was the Optiplex 3040 with the I5-6500. Currently on New egg the RX 6400 is on sale for 100$. Would it be a good pairing? They plan to play some Fortnite, Minecraft, Terraria, and various other games that could be easy to run.

That would be suitable, that’s the primary use case of cards like that. Just make sure you get the right height one for your optiplex, if it’s a SFF optiplex you need the low profile card, if it’s a MT optiplex you can use either the low profile or the full height ones.

15 minutes ago, Grimos845 said:

I have a few friends that don't have pc's so I've been trying to help them to build some optiplex builds for a cheap way in for some basic gaming. The Model we decided on was the Optiplex 3040 with the I5-6500. Currently on New egg the RX 6400 is on sale for 100$. Would it be a good pairing? They plan to play some Fortnite, Minecraft, Terraria, and various other games that could be easy to run.

Its not the worst choice. RX 6400 can at least play those sorts of games at 1080p reasonably well. In terms of better options as a drop in GPU for an Intel 6th generation CPU, there's not really a better option that wouldn't require VGA aux power that the PSU might not have.

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

Hey! Definitely one of the better, no additional power cards. The other thing you can try is a 1650 as well. I know PNY makes a 75W card. I have ran then in a few of my Esports pc's and they work decently. 

The only other option is something like the Asrock A380 https://www.newegg.com/asrock-arc-a380-a380-lp-6g/p/N82E16814930110?Item=N82E16814930110 but I can't remember if there is a hack around to get re-bar working. 

I have used both a 1650 and an rx6400 and I would recommend the 6400 for performance, but if you want something that's a bit more of a leave and forget (especially if your friend isn't super tech savvy) then I would get the 1650

It's a tough sell because is not a PCIe 4.0 CPU, and the 6500xt and 6400 are limited by only having 4 PCIe lanes, so they need PCIe 4.0 to run at their best.  A 1650 or 1050ti would probably be more viable.

I edit the shit out of my posts.  Refresh before you respond.