How to overclock?

You can't. The closest you'll have is the curve optimizer, but even that won't get you much higher performance and IIRC not all boards have support for it with the 5800X3D.

Technically BCLK overclocking is a thing, though that has so many issues especially on X570 boards (SATA ports stop working at 100.5MHz, and if you don't do some mitigations you start having boot issues at 102MHz) that make it impractical at best.

1 minute ago, RONOTHAN## said:

You can't. The closest you'll have is the curve optimizer, but even that won't get you much higher performance and IIRC not all boards have support for it with the 5800X3D.

Technically BCLK overclocking is a thing, though that has so many issues especially on X570 boards (SATA ports stop working at 100.5MHz, and if you don't do some mitigations you start having boot issues at 102MHz) that make it impractical at best.

Oh, but is there still any way? I am upset bcz I got 7th place on multi core and 5th place on single core in cinebench 2024

Just now, angeloza2 said:

Oh, but is there still any way? I am upset bcz I got 7th place on multi core and 5th place on single core in cinebench 2024

5800x3D is a set and forget sort of chip. You can try to undervolt and see if that gets you anywhere, but unless you're validating with cinebench, you might just end up creating a voltage limitation for the chip.

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

6 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Is this the over clocking menu?

image.jpg

You cannot overclock a 5800X3D in any meaningful, useful way. If you wanted to overclock a chip just for fun and to try to set benchmark records, then you should have done more research before buying that CPU, frankly.

The 5800X3D is a great-performing chip for real world applications like gaming. Use it and be happy. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

2 minutes ago, Middcore said:

You cannot overclock a 5800X3D in any meaningful, useful way. If you wanted to overclock a chip just for fun and to try to set benchmark records, then you should have done more research before buying that CPU, frankly.

The 5800X3D is a great-performing chip for real world applications like gaming. Use it and be happy. 

Ok, now I’m kinda sad it can’t be meaningfully overclocked 

1 minute ago, angeloza2 said:

Ok, now I’m kinda sad it can’t be meaningfully overclocked 

Don’t be sad. AMD has these chips running at their limit from the factory, you get a chip that will auto OC itself as much as it possibly can. It’s not like the old days where you could overclock by 30% because they shipped with so much headroom available. These days, they are pretty much at max right out of the box, this is not a bad thing. 

I have overclocked my entire life, staring with Pentium D’s back on LGA 775 ~20 years ago. Ever chip, GPU, and RAM I have had has been OCed….. up until my newest build. It no longer makes sense because Intel, AMD, and Nvidia are pushing them to their limit from the factory. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

3 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

Don’t be sad. AMD has these chips running at their limit from the factory, you get a chip that will auto OC itself as much as it possibly can. It’s not like the old days where you could overclock by 30% because they shipped with so much headroom available. These days, they are pretty much at max right out of the box, this is not a bad thing. 

I have overclocked my entire life, staring with Pentium D’s back on LGA 775 ~20 years ago. Ever chip, GPU, and RAM I have had has been OCed….. up until my newest build. It no longer makes sense because Intel, AMD, and Nvidia are pushing them to their limit from the factory. 

Ok, now help from here pls (it’s in AMD overclocking function in the BIOS

image.jpg

Not much you can do with this chip, its both blessing and a curse, blessing in that no matter your config everyone can expect similar results, no videos showing people getting 25% more performance than yours, cursed for tinkerers, even OC a regular Ryzen chips usually only offer diminishing returns but we could still enjoy a 20%+ bump by overclocking/tightening ram but its not so with the x3D, all my benchmark results were within margin of error regardless of mem speed over 3000Mhz CL16, the only meaningful gain is curve optimization if you want to tinker with that but I found the same results just setting negative offset for pbo, all underwhelming, otherwise I love this chip but for a tinkerer whos searching for the same thrill in ryzen 2000/3000 getting that 30% increase after spending a few hours lovingly tightening timings bouncing around with voltage calculators, you wont find that here...    

Ryzen 5800X3D(Because who doesn't like a phat stack of cache?) GPU - 7700Xt

X470 Strix f gaming, 32GB Corsair vengeance, WD Blue 500GB NVME-WD Blue2TB HDD, 700watts EVGA Br

~Extra L3 cache is exciting, every time you load up a new game or program you never know what your going to get, will it perform like a 5700x or are we beating the 14900k today? 😅~

16 minutes ago, angeloza2 said:

Is this the over clocking menu?

image.jpg

Yes that's the main overclocking menu, no there's nothing useful you can do in there. The only way to overclock the X3D CPUs is to increase the BCLK, but that comes with so many other issues on X570 for almost no actual performance uplift that it's not worth doing (you're not going to get more than 1-2% out of this, practically nothing). 

The slightly more useful Curve Optimizer will be in the Advanced tab under the "AMD Overclocking" menu. 

24 minutes ago, angeloza2 said:

Again, you're not going to get anything useful out of overclocking that chip. These aren't the days of X58 anymore where you can get 50% more performance easily, the amount of headroom available on that chip is not going to be enough to change your rankings even if you pull out all the stops. 

19 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Yes that's the main overclocking menu, no there's nothing useful you can do in there. The only way to overclock the X3D CPUs is to increase the BCLK, but that comes with so many other issues on X570 for almost no actual performance uplift that it's not worth doing (you're not going to get more than 1-2% out of this, practically nothing). 

The slightly more useful Curve Optimizer will be in the Advanced tab under the "AMD Overclocking" menu. 

Again, you're not going to get anything useful out of overclocking that chip. These aren't the days of X58 anymore where you can get 50% more performance easily, the amount of headroom available on that chip is not going to be enough to change your rankings even if you pull out all the stops. 

Shit, I saved settings and now it won’t boot

Shit, I saved settings and now it won’t boot

Nvm it ran

25 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Ok, what settings can I use, it reset to base settings

Ok, what settings can I use, it reset to base settings

Head to the Advanced tab and go under the AMD Overclocking menu. If you see a submenu called "Curve Optimizer" or PBO2, use that. Otherwise, don't do anything. 

Head to the Advanced tab and go under the AMD Overclocking menu. If you see a submenu called "Curve Optimizer" or PBO2, use that. Otherwise, don't do anything. 

Alright, I’m here, what number do I set, also, all or single cores?

4 minutes ago, angeloza2 said:

Alright, I’m here, what number do I set, also, all or single cores?

Do a negative offset, and I'd start at -10. Just do all core, doing per core takes forever for minimal benefit. Keep increasing the negative offset till you're getting random blue screens, and you're done. 

Don't expect a massive performance benefit from this though, it'll only be 2-3% at most. 

Do a negative offset, and I'd start at -10. Just do all core, doing per core takes forever for minimal benefit. Keep increasing the negative offset till you're getting random blue screens, and you're done. 

Don't expect a massive performance benefit from this though, it'll only be 2-3% at most. 

Why negative?

1 minute ago, angeloza2 said:

Why negative?

What this is doing is shifting the voltage frequency curve. The negative direction is decreasing the voltage each frequency needs, therefore allowing with the same thermal and power limits for it to boost higher. 

27 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

What this is doing is shifting the voltage frequency curve. The negative direction is decreasing the voltage each frequency needs, therefore allowing with the same thermal and power limits for it to boost higher. 

Ok, -15 is the sweet spot

30 minutes ago, angeloza2 said:

Why negative?

The reason x3D are locked out of traditional overclocking is the stacked cache layer make it difficult to remove heat, also the 3D cache is a little extra sensitive to voltage so setting negative value lowers the voltage also reducing the heat and allowing the chip to naturally boost higher, some chips can handle lower negative offsets than others set small increments at a time then stress test for stability 

Ryzen 5800X3D(Because who doesn't like a phat stack of cache?) GPU - 7700Xt

X470 Strix f gaming, 32GB Corsair vengeance, WD Blue 500GB NVME-WD Blue2TB HDD, 700watts EVGA Br

~Extra L3 cache is exciting, every time you load up a new game or program you never know what your going to get, will it perform like a 5700x or are we beating the 14900k today? 😅~

27 minutes ago, angeloza2 said:

Ok, -15 is the sweet spot

Don’t mess with things until you learn what your are actually doing. No point in hurting your hardware or causing instability for imperceptible performance gains. 

If you want to OC, spend the time to learn. Do HOURS of research first… hell, even days. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

12 hours ago, angeloza2 said:

CPU: R7 5800x3d

MOBO: Asrock X570 phantom gaming 4

WHAT IS YOUR GOAL with this overclock?

You know you won't notice the 3-5% your likely to get right?

Everyone's telling you the same thing for a reason.

If you want to overclock, you should have bought a different CPU, which depending on the game, will probably still be slower than a game that prefers the 3DV-Cache.

You bought the best out of the box solution..  so whats the goal in trying to overclock?

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz